Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

I see the same happening with Electric Picnic in Ireland these days, tickets sell out on the day of the announcement or before the actual announcement in the middle of March, perhaps not as rapid as Glastonbury but its getting increasingly harder to get them.   There was hardly any resales nearer the Picnic this year and tickets were going for up to 400 Euro each.  Thankfully I was working as an advanced volunteer the week before, but about 40 weekend volunteers disappeared as soon as they were accredited and I heard the same with some of the security at the festival too.  So it probably means the bond price will be increased to insure this doesn't happen with weekend crew.

2 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

Probably just luck and coincidence but I am a bit surprised so many had trouble even getting on the holding page, which has not been a problem for me at all. Maybe it helped having the page open on all devices since an hour before the sale?

Not really. I was refreshing from well before the kick off, from 9am got the error crash. Never had a problem in previous years with at least getting to the holding page. Some years it just isn't meant to be!

Difficult to tell anything anecdotally - if you get through it seems easy, if you don't it seems impossible. Don't see that ever changing!

Edited by fowls

6 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

Probably just luck and coincidence but I am a bit surprised so many had trouble even getting on the holding page, which has not been a problem for me at all. Maybe it helped having the page open on all devices since an hour before the sale?

That didn’t/doesn’t help. I had four laptops all with different connections and browsers. I had the page up on all of them well in advance, but with a couple of minutes to go before 9 three out of four of them just crashed and wouldn’t get to the holding page.

The way I see it is that it’s like a three stage funnel with the biggest part of the funnel being the actual see tickets link with millions of people trying get into it at once, you could be on the link well in advance, but if you don’t get a session when it opens at 9 then you’re competing with millions of other people for the holiding page. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

I hit the loading page early on on both pc and phone but got nowhere, luckily another in our group sorted it.

10 minutes ago, Havors said:

Definitely time for a sister festival in August or September. Try to recreate parts of Glasto as hard as that is like. But there is a lack of other festival to compete with Glasto so everyone want to go Glasto. 

I think there are festivals that create or mirror parts of Glastonbury, it's just a matter of picking which bits of G you like most and choosing your festival to suit. Personally, I love Avalon and Acoustic and fancy doing Green Man and/or Bearded Theory if I fail in the resale.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That didn’t/doesn’t help. I had four laptops all with different connections and browsers. I had the page up on all of them well in advance, but with a couple of minutes to go before 9 three out of four of them just crashed and wouldn’t get to the holding page.

The way I see it is that it’s like a three stage funnel with the biggest part of the funnel being the actual see tickets link with millions of people trying get into it at once, you could be on the link we’ll in advance but if you don’t get a session when it opens at 9 then you’re competing with millions of other people for the holiding page. 

Yeah seems like I got lucky. Had trouble loading the page on my phone, at least occasionally, but Safari on my laptop had a blazing fast refresh rate. 

14 minutes ago, Havors said:

Definitely time for a sister festival in August or September. Try to recreate parts of Glasto as hard as that is like. But there is a lack of other festival to compete with Glasto so everyone want to go Glasto. 

They could just do a 2nd weekend at that point though, same as Coachella and Tomorrowland and similar

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rzwodezwo said:

Yeah seems like I got lucky. Had trouble loading the page on my phone, at least occasionally, but Safari on my laptop had a blazing fast refresh rate. 

See I had a really quick refresh rate on the one laptop that didn’t just crash, that was Chrome via a EE 4G wireless router. I then had a reasonable refresh rate on my phone via safari on 4G but that slowed down every so often.

My MacBook on safari via WiFi crashed a couple of minutes before 9 and I couldn’t get anything other than a white screen.

I think it really is just random luck. You get the holding page, you don’t get a holding page, you get the booking page, you don’t get the booking page.

What I do know is that unless your are stupidly lucky unless you have a few devices you’re likely to be screwed. If you just have one device and at 9 you can’t even get the booking page you’re in a bad way.

Obviously there will have been people who had one device and get through, but they don’t know how lucky they are because a lot of people don’t get that far. At least if you’ve got a few devices you can just concentrate on the ones that are working... and then in my case still not get tickets!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Havors said:

Try Beautiful Days. Went there this year and it’s very much like a mini Glastonbury. The Bimble Inn was there, lots of the same flags, food stalls, pretty sure the big top is the JP tent. Really chilled out vibe. Loved it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

See I had a really quick refresh rate on the one laptop that didn’t just crash, that was Chrome via a EE 4G wireless router. I then had a reasonable refresh rate on my phone via safari on 4G but that slowed down every so often.

My MacBook on safari via WiFi crashed a couple of minutes before 9 and I couldn’t get anything other than a white screen.

I think it really is just random luck. You get the holding page, you don’t get a holding page, you get the booking page, you don’t get the booking page.

What I do know is that unless your are stupidly lucky unless you have a few devices you’re likely to be screwed. If you just have one device and at 9 you can’t even get the booking page you’re in a bad way.

Obviously there will have been people who had one device and get through, but they don’t know how lucky they are because a lot of people don’t get that far. At least if you’ve got a few devices you can just concentrate on the ones that are working... and then in my case still not get tickets!

I figured at some point that I'd be quicker just focusing on the laptop and refresh like mad. Got me through on Thursday (no luck booking a coach though), and again today. 

No idea if this is more practical but I certainly felt quicker focusing on the device and window I knew was quickest at refreshing the page. 

Just now, rzwodezwo said:

I figured at some point that I'd be quicker just focusing on the laptop and refresh like mad. Got me through on Thursday (no luck booking a coach though), and again today. 

No idea if this is more practical but I certainly felt quicker focusing on the device and window I knew was quickest at refreshing the page. 

That’s pretty much what I did, I had one that was working really well so just refreshed that one and binned the others off, in the 36 minutes I just didn’t manage to get the booking screen.

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight because I didn’t actually get through on the one that was refreshing really well, I may have been just as well to have fiddled around with the other laptops and closed windows down, tried different browsers etc but that would’ve been wasting time not refreshing a responsive holding screen.

If you’ve got a responsive holding screen you’re in good shape and in all other years I’ve always managed to get to a booking screen from there, just not this year, you still need to have luck on your side at this stage.

Best way is just to maximise chances by going all in. If 1 person can get 5 tickets, you'd better believe that organised people will have groups trying and then trying for other groups if/when they get through.

Though 108 of us tried, 48 got ticket, which I still a decent whack to be fair.

It's not foolproof, but even having two or three groups of 6 increases your chances, with each additional group increasing chances massively 

I'm sure that it's just random luck. My desktop just had the white screen of death showing the failed to reply message no matter how many times I refreshed. Luckily the laptop on wifi got through to the holding page immediately after logging on and then after about 15 mins refreshing got through and didn't have any problems after that. Used the back button to stay on the holding page to try and get tickets for others but didn't get another look in.

The back button worked for me although that may have been because I didn’t complete a purchase? After I confirmed I got a screen that said tickets had already been purchased so I went back and tried for another group, did this twice and each time it took me back to the registrations page where I had to delete the previous details and put new ones in.

I’ve been thinking, all the slots get filled dead on the dot of 9, right? So, there’ll be no free spaces until those people have finished their transactions, right, at least 3 mins later. So it’s always dead time between 9.00 and 9.03, 9.04, and then a new wave of people get through. Does that make sense?

43 minutes ago, Havors said:

I'm not sure I get why this would lower demand. Any sister festival is Not Glastonbury so the same amount of people would still try for Glastonbury. They couldn't hold the sister festival at the farm so it would have to be elsewhere, making it even more 'just another festival'. And there are lots of other festivals already so I don't quite get it.

28 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

They could just do a 2nd weekend at that point though, same as Coachella and Tomorrowland and similar

No chance. Aside from the local area not putting up with it and aside from the site not being able to cope with 2 weeks (it would have been cancelled in 2016 and probably many other years too), it just wouldn't really be the same plus people would stay for both weekends. How do you remove the first weekend people? Physically evict them?