Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

24 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Lots of our group got through only to fail when the payment didn't proceed. Four times in one guy's case.

That's exactly what happened to us - makes it a bit more frustrating than just spending 30 minutes looking at the same holding page (which was what I got). Ah well, we're bowing out now. No resale for us - we had a good run and this is the first time since the 2013 fest that we've tried and failed, so it had to happen one day. Exploring Euro options as we speak...

5 minutes ago, SophieBee said:

That's exactly what happened to us - makes it a bit more frustrating than just spending 30 minutes looking at the same holding page (which was what I got). Ah well, we're bowing out now. No resale for us - we had a good run and this is the first time since the 2013 fest that we've tried and failed, so it had to happen one day. Exploring Euro options as we speak...

This is absolutely true, last time around (2016 for 2017) I got to the payment screen only to be torpedoed by somebody in our group having already had a ticket bought for them. Once I went back a few screens and deleted him it just kept saying tickets unavailable, but they still were.

This time I just got the holding page and never got the booking screen. I feel a lot calmer and although very disappointed pretty zen about the whole thing, with the feeling that there was nothing else I could’ve done.

Actually getting through but not being able to complete the transaction for whatever reason is absolutely soul destroying and makes you feel a million times worse.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 1

Luckily this year I was sorted, had to go through the resales last time I went which was in 2015.

not sure if this has been suggested before, but would the process not benefit from a system where you have to name the person who is buying the tickets for the group, prior to the sale, as the ‘named purchaser,’ and those tickets can then not be bought by anyone else under a different named purchaser.

i just wonder if a system like that may make the process a littler easier as I’d wager a lot of the congestion is for people not even attending, booking tickets for friends for a favour to maximise their chances. 

What that would also do is effectively end the only method left of touting Glastonbury tickets, which is where people can effectively buy for others they don’t know if they get through and charge them a ridiculous premium to actually get the ticket. 

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

I know 65-70 people trying. 8 people purchased!

Our group of 30 hardcore goers got 8.

@Superscally's 30 odd got zero!

We did manage to get 17 tickets in the end, but we couldn't press the back button to get back in which has always worked before. So two people from different groups got in within first five mins, secured their group, but then we had a tense ten mins trying to get back in for the next lot. The back thing has always worked for us in the past - although i think @parsonjack did say it would be unlikely this time - but I suppose that has helped the bigger groups before. Without that, it really is a lot of luck, although it obviously still helps being in a big group rather than a small group

I have also seen a lot of people on twitter complaining who've not been before, saying it's too hard to get tickets for new people, and on saying that there should be a system where if you fail say, four times, you get priority. So I guess just a lot of people losing out all round :(

18 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This time I just got the holding page and never got the booking screen. I feel a lot calmer and although very disappointed pretty zen about the whole thing, with the feeling that there was nothing else I could’ve done.

Yes...this.  I also know there was nothing else I could have done and feel strangely calmed by that fact.

• Upvote 1

Of the four lots I know personally trying for tickets, the two experienced groups got sorted, the two newbies (one of whom was box ticking and never goes to gigs let alone festivals) didn’t, so I’d say there was some karma. 

It may also have been down to having our shit together on payment etc.

Although anecdotal evidence would suggest not

12 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

What that would also do is effectively end the only method left of touting Glastonbury tickets, which is where people can effectively buy for others they don’t know if they get through and charge them a ridiculous premium to actually get the ticket. 

My god....do you think anyone is actually enough of an asshole to actually do this???? Surely not! :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

My god....do you think anyone is actually enough of an asshole to actually do this???? Surely not! :wacko:

100% that will happen. I suspect it’s minimal as it’s actually quite a hard thing to organise if you think about it logistically but I’ve no doubt it happens.

im envisaging a scenario where you post on Reddit or something asking for a favour, someone gets your ticket and they say it’s costing you £800 or they cancel it.

Edited by JoshM87

Just now, JoshM87 said:

100% that will happen. I suspect it’s minimal as it’s actually quite a hard thing to organise if you think about it logistically but I’ve no doubt it happens.

That makes me very sad. Particularly as you would presume have to know (or only be a few people removed) from the people you were fucking over!

6/52 for us (not my group). All regulars.

Tried both coach sale and today. Made worse by the fact I got through on Thursday but got the message saying I wasn't selecting the right number of tickets for registrations (I was) and someone else failed for me at the payment stage.

Desolate. 

3 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

You're saying it's possible under the current system? I don't see how... If you buy a ticket for someone else, there's no way for you to cancel it unless you block the credit card transaction, which is a hassle in itself. I really don't see this being an occurance to worry about.

31 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is absolutely true, last time around (2016 for 2017) I got to the payment screen only to be torpedoed by somebody in our group having already had a ticket bought for them. Once I went back a few screens and deleted him it just kept saying tickets unavailable, but they still were.

Actually getting through but not being able to complete the transaction for whatever reason is absolutely soul destroying and makes you feel a million times worse.

What retribution did you visit upon that person in the end? I'd struggle to maintain a cordial relationship with them after pulling such a stunt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

How u gonna cancel somebody else's registration, my man?

Ah good point! Fair enough then.

nevertheless the point stands regarding only having one person out of the group able to buy the tickets. That way you could enter the registrations before the sale and it would come up automatically when you just enter the lead bookers registrstion, to stop the heart attack enducing part where you have to enter all the details.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

What retribution did you visit upon that person in the end? I'd struggle to maintain a cordial relationship with them after pulling such a stunt

A good couple of months of not speaking to them! It did actually cause a big rift amongst a few in our group. I personally managed to get tickets in the resale so it all ended ok, but a couple in the group had given up and made other plans by then so they’ve never truly forgiven him!

Needles to say he wasn’t on our group today, and the group he was in wasn’t successful either. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

According to The Guardian, record numbers of people tried for tickets this time. From reading on here and other places online it seems that loads of folk who usualy go failed to get tickets. This suggests that there coud be a whole load of newbies who have decided to go.This could have a slight effect on the atmosphere of the festival with herds of people getting lost, wandering around in a wide eyed daze and maybe the main stages being even more busy than usual as people don't know what else there is to see.

Oh, and I am going to go after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/07/glastonbury-tickets-2019-sell-out-in-half-an-hour

I noticed in the other thread that you'd mentioned you'd failed to get a ticket. I'm guessing that means that you're no longer running your stall?

Glad to see you're going now anyway. Did someone else manage to secure you a ticket or will you be working it?

1 minute ago, musky said:

I noticed in the other thread that you'd mentioned you'd failed to get a ticket. I'm guessing that means that you're no longer running your stall?

Glad to see you're going now anyway. Did someone else manage to secure you a ticket or will you be working it?

Was trying to get tickets for others.

I was expecting not to go due to a very badly broken leg but how can I not go?

Thankfuly I don't have to apply for tickets in the normal way, my tickets are several tonnes of wood :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Was trying to get tickets for others.

I was expecting not to go due to a very badly broken leg but how can I not go?

Thankfuly I don't have to apply for tickets in the normal way, my tickets are several tonnes of wood :)

Sorry to hear about your leg but that all makes sense now. It would seem strange without you in the Green fields. :)

I wonder if I could come up with a way of getting a ticket that doesn't involve all that wood. Maybe I could sell teas for 49p or something!