Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and yet no one will notice a difference.

Cos none of the bookers will be looking at acts to book this year and saying "oh, I'll save them for 2020 cos that's a special year".

This year they'll book the acts they can book that they're interested in booking, and it won't be any different next year.

True but; The festival are already bigging up 2020 declaring that they've already signed acts, the media will go mental in the build up with rumours flying right left and centre and so everybody will be expecting an absolutely mega line up. Demand next October will be massive.

10 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

But there seems to be more of these big groups of 30-60 etc that didn’t get all the tickets they wanted, so the entire group will be trying in the resale for the remainder who didn’t get them.

True - I think that's because the back-button re-book thing is fixed. Now you have to go back to the holding screen to get back in - i.e. back in the lottery with everyone else.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:47 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I have a lot of sympathy for this view. Not to the point that I'm not going to try for tickets, but I certainly don't think regulars deserve to go more than newbies. And agree there's a lot of sneering at newcomers who "don't get the festival".

And there's two ways of looking at this term "bucket list". You can look down your nose and think of it as some box ticking episode to do "just because". Or you can think of something on a bucket list as being a lifelong ambition - something that is held dear - a one in a lifetime experience, rather than "just another festival" like it is for the regulars. Let's give a little more credit to people's motivations, isn't that part of the "Glastonbury spirit"?

Well said that man. Some of the comments about it all being newbies who won't get it that have tickets make me feel super uncomfortable. We were all new once. I'd wanted to go since I was a young teenager but for financial reasons didn't make it until I was 25. It had been a lifelong ambition but how could I possibly know how much I'd fall in love with the place until I'd been? Still remember wandering about absolutely wide-eyed at the scale of the thing. I would hate to take that experience away from others. Also people don't seem to mind new people going when they are mates and partners of theirs...

As an aside fuck me if I was going to miss any festival in the last 10 years I'm glad it was 2016!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
Rogue apostrophe
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

True - I think that's because the back-button re-book thing is fixed. Now you have to go back to the holding screen to get back in - i.e. back in the lottery with everyone else.

Certainly my experience,

In previous years you've been able to back onto the booking page and purchase more tickets. Didn't work this year, once details were entered upon clicking proceed you were thrown back to the hold page. 

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't get the appeal of the compostables. You're basically dropping your anchor into a wheelie bin from a great height but it is somehow seen as better than the longdrops because the person before you has chucked in a cup full of sawdust.

I always like to imagine that one day @Sawdusty Surfer's name will become slang for a poo in a compostable.

"just nipping off for a sawdusty surfer, meet you in 5, no 10, at JP stage"

Edited by Keithy
  • Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Or you can think of something on a bucket list as being a lifelong ambition - something that is held dear - a one in a lifetime experience,

This was me prior to 2015. I'll be going to my fourth next year, because as we know that's how it grabs you. A once in a lifetime ambition that became a lifelong obsession.

15 hours ago, JayBalls said:

The Cure? Cmon The Cure are great 

The Cure would disappoint most ticket holders. I don’t think they’d get a good reaction. That’s partly why I’d be surprised to see them headlining. Other reason is they’re not at all current. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

The Cure would disappoint most ticket holders. I don’t think they’d get a good reaction. That’s partly why I’d be surprised to see them headlining. Other reason is they’re not at all current. 

I agree with all that, but while they're not current, they are currently hot.

I realise their own fans would have snapped up the tickets for an irregular show in the UK - and they only do irregular shows here - but selling out 80,000 tickets for BST this summer, plus Smith curating Meltdown, does seem to have made people outside of their fanbase pay them more attention than has been the case in recent-ish years.

It would be a somewhat surprising booking perhaps, but it's not a wacky one.

25 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd be disappointed with The Cure but I accept that it's tough for there to be many headliner bookings that would really make me happy these days as they have either already done it or there is no chance that they would do it so if they want to try and be creative with some bookings like this then more power to them, the amazing thing is that there are many other places for me to enjoy my time instead and i'm hoping for a free night of some stage headliners to head back over to see what Arcadia has to offer after the fallow year. 

Even as a bit of a fan and someone who went, I think part of the reason Hyde Park sold quickly was the undercard - curated by Robert Smith.

For £35 I saw Goldfrapp, Ride, Interpol and The Cure. Would have seen Slowdive too, but I was watching us mash the Swedes in the footie instead.

16 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Last saw The Cure at Glastonbury in '86. The only good part of their performance was the intense forked lightening storm hitting the hills in the distance. 

I saw them then and at 1990 with the helicopter, then again a few years back at the Albert Hall.  I enjoyed them all, especially the last one, but then they played a lot of tunes I like and I'm pretty easily pleased :) 

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well said that man. Some of the comments about it all being newbies who won't get it that have tickets make me feel super uncomfortable. We were all new once. I'd wanted to go since I was a young teenager but for financial reasons didn't make it until I was 25. It had been a lifelong ambition but how could I possibly know how much I'd fall in love with the place until I'd been? Still remember wandering about absolutely wide-eyed at the scale of the thing. I would hate to take that experience away from others. Also people don't seem to mind new people going when they are mates and partners of theirs...

Agreed! It's made me feel uncomfortable too....a few in my group are newbies but all great friends of mine (in one case, we've been friends since we were 13) and I cannot wait to show them how amazing everything is! Plus, I've only been three times myself - maybe I'm still a newbie compared to some people ? 

15 hours ago, Matty123 said:

Hello Everyone.

Long Time lurker. Probably about 6 years, felt it time to bite the bullet and join as love reading this forum.

aplogies if this is the wrong chat, or has already been mentioned, but just want to put my thought on the “Ballot system” which seems to get mentioned a lot.

ive applied for 10 London marathons, every time unsuccessful. I had my email today saying, as expected, I was unsuccessful again. This is a quote from the email

A record number of 414,168 hopefuls applied to take part in next year’s event and unfortunately you were unsuccessful in the general ballot, which was drawn at random“

2018 will be my 6th Glastonbury. Apparently record numbers tried for tickets over Thursday/Sunday. Some quoting over and shiver 1,000,000 (admittedly duplicate reg numbers may dilute those numbers) - yet I was still successful.

how can people opt to choose for a ballot system and think you will have more opportunity to go the beloved festival, when I have been unsuccessful in every marathon attempt, which is a ballot system, with half the amount of entries?

Me too , 10 yrs of trying and never got in, and my mail said you were unsuccessful in the ballot and in nseccessful in the second ballot for those that donated thir fee---- so a double whammy . canyou imagine a Glastonbury ballot, most people would set up numerous names and use friends addresses to give themselves more chance and there would be plenty of cases where groups of friends, who at the moment, in a 6 can go together wouldn;t be able to, as one got tickets and the other not - no thankyou

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

I always like to imagine that one day @Sawdusty Surfer's name will become slang for a poo in a compostable.

"just nipping off for a sawdusty surfer, meet you in 5, no 10, at JP stage"

One day starts now Keithy. And it shall henceforth be known.

Sorry Dusty, but we need a tangible reminder of you to live on now the big table's gone :D