Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

59 minutes ago, JayBalls said:

The thingy will tell you (I think) after the quagmire of 2016 it gave an extra 20 minutes 

57 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is off of the tip of my head, but I’ve got a vague memory of that being down to a server issue, I seem to remember loads of talk about people ending up at a dead sever or something like that, so it elongated the sale slightly.

It was 50 minutes but due to issues at See. Loads still missed out, it just prolonged the agony.

You'll know if there's been a drop in popularity, not by how long it takes but by how many people off here get tickets.

• Upvote 1

Hello Everyone.

Long Time lurker. Probably about 6 years, felt it time to bite the bullet and join as love reading this forum.

aplogies if this is the wrong chat, or has already been mentioned, but just want to put my thought on the “Ballot system” which seems to get mentioned a lot.

ive applied for 10 London marathons, every time unsuccessful. I had my email today saying, as expected, I was unsuccessful again. This is a quote from the email

A record number of 414,168 hopefuls applied to take part in next year’s event and unfortunately you were unsuccessful in the general ballot, which was drawn at random“

2018 will be my 6th Glastonbury. Apparently record numbers tried for tickets over Thursday/Sunday. Some quoting over and shiver 1,000,000 (admittedly duplicate reg numbers may dilute those numbers) - yet I was still successful.

how can people opt to choose for a ballot system and think you will have more opportunity to go the beloved festival, when I have been unsuccessful in every marathon attempt, which is a ballot system, with half the amount of entries?

11 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I live in wonder of how low do you drop your shorts to be able to pass stool in a relaxing manor!! If it rains it holds a whole level of worry bottom of the shorts getting soaked in what you hope is rain 

Knee height. The trick is to lower the waist without lowering the hem by maintaining tension at the bottom by moving your feet wider while still allowing enough slack on the thighs to lower them from the top down.

Too much info?

17 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

It was 50 minutes but due to issues at See. Loads still missed out, it just prolonged the agony.

You'll know if there's been a drop in popularity, not by how long it takes but by how many people off here get tickets.

Yeah I remember it was something like that that caused it to go on longer. It stands to reason that if more people are waiting at 9 to buy tickets than there are tickets available, the tickets will sell as quickly as the ticketing system can handle.

If anything the sale could well last longer with more people trying as all those extra people will be putting extra strain on the system, creating errors and failed transactions etc.

My theory, which is based on absolutely nothing but pure guesswork on my part, is that the quickest sale ever which was just over 20 minutes in I think 2014, was because that just happened to be the optimum amount of traffic the ticketing system was designed to handle.

In subsequent years traffic has gone up, actually creating slightly longer sales.

Demand could half and they’d still sell out n around the same time, but as you say you’d be able to tell if demand had halved by the amount of people on here who’d got tickets.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, Matty123 said:

Hello Everyone.

Long Time lurker. Probably about 6 years, felt it time to bite the bullet and join as love reading this forum.

aplogies if this is the wrong chat, or has already been mentioned, but just want to put my thought on the “Ballot system” which seems to get mentioned a lot.

ive applied for 10 London marathons, every time unsuccessful. I had my email today saying, as expected, I was unsuccessful again. This is a quote from the email

A record number of 414,168 hopefuls applied to take part in next year’s event and unfortunately you were unsuccessful in the general ballot, which was drawn at random“

2018 will be my 6th Glastonbury. Apparently record numbers tried for tickets over Thursday/Sunday. Some quoting over and shiver 1,000,000 (admittedly duplicate reg numbers may dilute those numbers) - yet I was still successful.

how can people opt to choose for a ballot system and think you will have more opportunity to go the beloved festival, when I have been unsuccessful in every marathon attempt, which is a ballot system, with half the amount of entries?

Your point is well taken - determination can help your odds with the current system unlike a ballot, but there are 135,000 tickets for Glastonbury and only 41,000 runners in the marathon. I make that about a .1 chance. But 1,000,000 people trying for 135,000 is a .135 chance. Or in fractions Glasto is 27 in 200 and the marathon is 20 in 200.

But you're still right!

Thanks for response. I appreciate the odds are slightly different. However if you take into account I would have been to Glastonbury 6 times within the applications for 10 marathons, it definitely points to this current ticket method is in fact the fairest.

imagine not being successful in 10 Glastonbury attempts, people would be screaming out for the a ticketing method similar to what we have now. 

I’m always disappointed not getting entry to the marathon, but there is no buzz or hype surrounding it. I don’t even know what day the emails are confirming entry. The buzz of Glastonbury Ticket day is what gets you going, and I think it’s better for it

17 minutes ago, Matty123 said:

Hello Everyone.

Nobody seriously wants it. It only really gets brought up up twitter idiots who login at 9 and are tweeting by 5 past outraged at having a holding page. They think it’s all a big conspiracy and that a a ballot would be better for them because the current method doesn’t work for them.

It also get brought up by people who have been for a number of years but have then maybe failed in the last couple of sales. The system no longer suits them, so they want it changed to a system that might suit them better.

For most reasonable people a ballot is the last thing they want, but it gets brought up every year now because naturally so many people miss out, and it’s human nature to try and blame  something for it.

I didn’t get tickets by the way, I’ve got them the last four years so I had a relatively decent run. I made some mistakes in this sale and I’m pretty confident I’ll get them this year, but if not despite it seemingly getting harder I’m pretty confident I’ll beat the odds of a ballot over a long enough timeframe.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Nobody seriously wants it. It only really gets brought up up twitter idiots who login at 9 and are tweeting by 5 past outraged at having a holding page. They think it’s all a big conspiracy and that a a ballot would be better for them because the current method doesn’t work for them.

It also get brought up by people who have been for a number of years but have then maybe failed in the last couple of sales. The system no longer suits them, so they want it changed to a system that might suit them better.

For most reasonable people a ballot is the last thing they want, but it gets brought up every year now because naturally so many people miss out, and it’s human nature to try and blame  something for it.

I didn’t get tickets by the way, I’ve got them the last four years so I had a relatively decent run. I made some mistakes in this sale and I’m pretty confident I’ll get them this year, but if not despite it seemingly getting harder I’m pretty confident I’ll beat the odds of a ballot over a long enough timeframe.

Yeah that’s fair enough. My comment was more aimed at all social media, not just this forum ?

just wanted to shed some light on it. Also, im sure someone mentioned about not seeing stats for the entries on a London marathon somewhere on here, so thought people may have found it interesting??

1 minute ago, Matty123 said:

Thanks for response. I appreciate the odds are slightly different. However if you take into account I would have been to Glastonbury 6 times within the applications for 10 marathons, it definitely points to this current ticket method is in fact the fairest.

imagine not being successful in 10 Glastonbury attempts, people would be screaming out for the a ticketing method similar to what we have now. 

I’m always disappointed not getting entry to the marathon, but there is no buzz or hype surrounding it. I don’t even know what day the emails are confirming entry. The buzz of Glastonbury Ticket day is what gets you going, and I think it’s better for it

If you’ve been to Glastonbury 6 times in 10 years you’ve been far more often than you would’ve if it had been a ballot system. That doesn’t make the system fair, it just makes it fairer for you because it favours you.

I don’t see how anybody can say a ballot wouldn’t be the fairest system, what’s fairer than random luck?

Bit who actually wants that? We all want a system which we can slightly skew in our favour, which is the current system.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If you’ve been to Glastonbury 6 times in 10 years you’ve been far more often than you would’ve if it had been a ballot system. That doesn’t make the system fair, it just makes it fairer for you because it favours you.

I don’t see how anybody can say a ballot wouldn’t be the fairest system, what’s fairer than random luck?

Bit who actually wants that? We all want a system which we can slightly skew in our favour, which is the current system.

You’ve missed my point mate. My point is to those venting their frustrations each year, and feel they would have been to Glastonbury by now had it always been a Ballot system

You’d have thought I’d have been successful in at least one marathon attempt by now, but still no luck.

just making a point to those who that think the current system is unfair. 

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I live in wonder of how low do you drop your shorts to be able to pass stool in a relaxing manor!! If it rains it holds a whole level of worry bottom of the shorts getting soaked in what you hope is rain 

I actually took my jeans off and hung them on the hook so I could take a huge dump (After eating far too much at Ghandi's flipflop) as I was still tripping from the night before and it seemed like a good idea....

Luckily none of my friends filmed me falling out the door trying to put them back on.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Matty123 said:

You’ve missed my point mate. My point is to those venting their frustrations each year, and feel they would have been to Glastonbury by now had it always been a Ballot system

You’d have thought I’d have been successful in at least one marathon attempt by now, but still no luck.

just making a point to those who that think the current system is unfair. 

Yep, people seem to be under the illusion that odds are fair in the sense that they take into account previous success and failures and then compensate. They don’t! There no odds god that goes “oh, well you weren’t successful the last few years so I’ll let you win this time”. Each year is completely independent to the one that came before, so it’s no surprise someone could be unlucky every year in a ballot system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matty123 said:

Hello Everyone.

Irrespective of the numbers involved, I'd rather a system like we have now where we at least feel like we have some control over our chances (although obviously by no means guaranteed), rather than a ballot where it's all completely in the lap of the gods...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Irrespective of the numbers involved, I'd rather a system like we have now where we at least feel like we have some control over our chances (although obviously by no means guaranteed), rather than a ballot where it's all completely in the lap of the gods...

This.

How do people know a ballot is fair? This is as fair as any way in my opinion.

Admittedly I am saying that as someone who has tried 9 times & been succesful 8 of those. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

The current system is fine - seetickets just need to sort out the back-end. If you get to the booking & payment pages it shouldn't fall on it's arse and lose your session. 

We all know it favours large well organised groups attacking from different ISP's and mobile devices.

The only way to get more individuals in would be to drop the number of tickets you could buy down to 3 or 4, but then they'd have to process 30-50% more transactions (It's only 2 & 4 for the resales). But would that put off bigger groups which are the heart & soul of Glasto.

I think it was back in 2004 or 2005 that the tickets went on sale during the evening at 7pm and I was constantly trying until 5am when I was finally successful!  It took a long time but it was a great feeling when I got them.

I personally would prefer a slower ticket sale rate, taking e.g. 5-6 hours to sell out as those who want the tickets more will just keep trying and eventually get them whereas the fair weather brigade would drop by the wayside.

Edited by Squonk

51 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I actually took my jeans off and hung them on the hook so I could take a huge dump (After eating far too much at Ghandi's flipflop) as I was still tripping from the night before and it seemed like a good idea....

Luckily none of my friends filmed me falling out the door trying to put them back on.

A friend of mine couldn't find his way out the longdrops, he just kept wandering up and down the same aisle... and that was early on the in the night.

I git through on the coach sale after 17 minutes and got 3 tickets for friends.

In the main sale I got through after around 22 minutes and got 6 tickets for other friends, as another friend had bought mine 15 minutes into the sale. I got through again around 27 minutes but page crashed loading to payement page.

Another friend of mine got through twice between the 25th and 30th minutes ?.

Our group ended up getting about 20 tickets, with 5/6 of us still missing out. We must of had at least 30 people trying, on about 50 devices. Pretty confident everyone from our group will get sorted in the resale.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think the resale will be more difficult than ever. I think many of the bucket listers who didn't get tickets would have moved on to something else instead but so many regulars missed out, they'll all be in the mix.

Agreed. Probably 95% of casuals and bucket listers who haven’t been before and gave it a half hearted prod on Sunday won’t bother in the resale.

But there seems to be more of these big groups of 30-60 etc that didn’t get all the tickets they wanted, so the entire group will be trying in the resale for the remainder who didn’t get them.

No doubt there is always an element of that in every resale, but this year tickets have definitely disbursed across a wider cross section of people.

Maybe it is something the festival has done behind the scenes, or more likely it’s just the sheer increase in demand having created much more of lottery effect even amongst the hyper organised.