Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

On 10/7/2018 at 11:21 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Get a bit of mud on the go for this year and polarising acts in headline slots, that'll sort out the wheat from the chaff next time.

That’s so true!  It takes one bad year weather wise to put a lot off!  16 was muddy year but i just loved every moment yet 17 seem to be a lot quieter on the vast conspiracies of not getting a ticket!  

18 hours ago, MetaKate said:

This. It's the mix that makes the atmosphere. Newbies, oldies, keeners, slackers. Once you get there, the magic makes us all equals. 

I think something should be done about the tents, but I'm not really sure what would force people. A deposit you pay when you come through the gates, and only get back when you check out again with your tent? Its a logisitical nightmare. 

What if your tent was stamped with your registration number permanantly and your registration would be cancelled if it was left behind? 

At burning man each person is responsible for their area, and if trash is left behind they are fined, too much trash and the festival will be cancelled, but I'm not okay with that threat at glastonbury. Too scary . 

Any system would need to be cheaper than the current system which is: pay a bunch of people to come clean up the farm.

As unpleasant as the mess is, it's a largely solved problem from Glastonbury's perspective. It probably puts about five quid on the price of a ticket though.

Did the mud in ‘16 make much of a difference? I got a ticket easily enough in ‘17 but plenty missed out. I think a lot of people who’s first festival was ‘16 were probably put off but anyone who’s been to more than one is hardly going to be put off by a bit of mud.

14 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Did the mud in ‘16 make much of a difference? I got a ticket easily enough in ‘17 but plenty missed out. I think a lot of people who’s first festival was ‘16 were probably put off but anyone who’s been to more than one is hardly going to be put off by a bit of mud.

if we would have had same conditions in '17 that would have done it for a lot of folk... Me included.

The goddamn knees ache like billyo in the dry.. the proper sticky mud is a killer..

I reckon three to four years of consecutive monsoons, with the BBC showing clips of people popping to the log drops in a canoe on the 6 o’clock news might start to have a tiny impact on how easy it is to get a ticket. 

I think they could name Alan Titchmarsh, Kathy from Eastenders and Borris Johnson as headliners and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I reckon three to four years of consecutive monsoons, with the BBC showing clips of people popping to the log drops in a canoe on the 6 o’clock news might start to have a tiny impact on how easy it is to get a ticket. 

I think they could name Alan Titchmarsh, Kathy from Eastenders and Borris Johnson as headliners and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference.

The thingy will tell you (I think) after the quagmire of 2016 it gave an extra 20 minutes 

Just now, JayBalls said:

The thingy will tell you (I think) after the quagmire of 2016 it gave an extra 20 minutes 

This is off of the tip of my head, but I’ve got a vague memory of that being down to a server issue, I seem to remember loads of talk about people ending up at a dead sever or something like that, so it elongated the sale slightly.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is off of the tip of my head, but I’ve got a vague memory of that being down to a server issue, I seem to remember loads of talk about people ending up at a dead sever or something like that, so it elongated the sale slightly.

I can't really remember what happened last week so you're probably right.

The mud of 2016 and our abstract failure of getting tickets in the main sale put the wife off in 2017 ("I don't do camping - its a Campervan or I'm not going). So I bought a coach ticket and went on my own and thank the Glasto gods it was dry - another 2016 and I think I'd be finished....

It's not the rain or the headliners, but with a bad back the relentless deep mud that was 2016 - it wasn't fun, I never got into the SE Corner, missed 25% of the bands I really wanted to see, fell on my arse a few times and ruined my hiking boots that I bought for 2011 and were nicely worn-in.

I remember seeing newbies leaving on Friday in 2016 and with being bused in from B&W as we couldn't get into East CV I'd almost had enough by Saturday but gritted my teeth, took loads of Tramadol and left straight after the Sunday headliner as I'd had enough "fun"....

So a muddy 2019 will put off some of the lightweights, but with 2020 being a "special year" it's going to be a real bun-fight next sale.

1 minute ago, Penrhos said:

with 2020 being a "special year" 

and yet no one will notice a difference.

Cos none of the bookers will be looking at acts to book this year and saying "oh, I'll save them for 2020 cos that's a special year".

This year they'll book the acts they can book that they're interested in booking, and it won't be any different next year.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

and yet no one will notice a difference.

Cos none of the bookers will be looking at acts to book this year and saying "oh, I'll save them for 2020 cos that's a special year".

This year they'll book the acts they can book that they're interested in booking, and it won't be any different next year.

Yep, I think 2009 and 2010 are evidence enough of that.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep, I think 2009 and 2010 are evidence enough of that.

And let's be honest, what makes a great glastonbury is a mixture of things be it weather, atmosphere, personal experiences, people you meet--there's not that much the organisers can do differently to ensure a more special year. A lot of the stuff is out of their control 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Anyone who really wants to look over and see what I'm doing in a long drop will be far more horrified by what they see then I will be by someone looking

I live in wonder of how low do you drop your shorts to be able to pass stool in a relaxing manor!! If it rains it holds a whole level of worry bottom of the shorts getting soaked in what you hope is rain