Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It bloody did rain during the weekend in 2016!

I was dancing in Lovebullets (then in Shangri-La) from 0300-0600h Sunday (I think!) morning in almost continuous light rain. Then it caned it down at 0700h when I was on the back to the tent. Then I have vivid memories of trawling around Silver Hayes on Sunday afternoon in rain for a good few hours. No question it was the rain pre-festival that really did for us, but that was not a dry Glastonbury!!

Ben

Aye. I recall shuffling around T&C on Sunday morning in light drizzle after my back had gone. Did nothing to improve my mood.

Edited by Quark
Syntax

42 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

It remember it rained quite a bit on Sunday pm 2016, during and after ELO, and there were punters leaving the site early to avoid the rain and mud. I remember speaking to a lot of folk worried about getting stuck in the car parks so were going to leave Sunday evening

Yes, I have a vivid memory of my excitement at seeing ELO perform Mr Blue Sky at Glastonbury being rather dampened by the pissing rain and sticky mud.

Edited by GregsyA
  • Upvote 1

2016 did for my wife after attending 7 or 8

it rained on enough occassions during the festival that the ground never improved. The run up to the festival was one of nightmares. We stayed in a caraven on the East side and i've never seen mud like it. Sunday sat watching ELO with my wife and youngest and knowing that we wanted to get to the Park before heading back to the Pyramid. 

It was the walk which broke her!

2017 was just me and my youngest daughter and due to exams for her 2019 will be me and two early 50's glasto virgins!

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

It remember it rained quite a bit on Sunday pm 2016, during and after ELO, and there were punters leaving the site early to avoid Coldplay. I remember speaking to a lot of folk worried about getting stuck in the car parks so were going to leave Sunday evening

Fixed the above for you...

Control entry to the ticket ballot with the following questions:

1. What is the significance of this?

download10.jpg.126954b85e46412e130b3c6103eb7a74.jpg

2. You're on your way to see Ed Sheeran perform a "secret set" but you come across a one-armed Slovakian bagpipe player on a unicycle performing the score from Withnail & I on one of the risers.  Do you stay and watch or carry on to see Ed?

3. Your favourite act is headlining the Pyramid stage, but there is literally nothing on for the entire day until that point about which you give a rat's ass.  Do you camp out at the front of the stage for the day of complete boredom to ensure a prime spot for their set?

4. Do you think the T&C field should be replaced with a Nandos and some big screens to show sporting events?

5. What is this for?

download.jpg.7263fa2ca5e308c213579550420023e4.jpg

6. You see a Z-list celeb from *insert tv show du jour here* while engaged in a deep conversation with your group of friends about the relative merits of your next choice of stage / area / recreational substance.  Do you run over and get a selfie with them or continue to argue over Parquet Courts vs dropping acid?

7. What is the locking hook on the back of a long drop door actually for?

8. After securing your ticket on T-Day you find that none of the Pyramid headliners particularly appeal to you.  Do you return your ticket?

9. What is 9?

Done and dusted.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 20

18 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Perhaps if we post more pictures of 2016 it might put off the newbies.

As a sciatica suffer it nearly finished me off....

1400262313_IMG_1866(Large).thumb.JPG.c85be1de1e4bfb020cff6d694c79ffc9.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

Horrific walking conditions that year. I stuck with walking boots as it was far too sticky for wellies, saturday morning was the only time I opted for wellies after a downpour and it was more water than the sticky bog. Once the boggy conditions came back I went back to walking boots.

That year was all too much for 2 of our group, they haven't been back since and the whole Brexit situation depressed them enough to move to New Zealand this year but i distinctly remember waking up to the news of the vote and cameron resigning and them saying they were done and going to move ASAP, I didn't believe them and sure enough they move next week. That year has a lot to answer for. 

Hammered it down during Dakhabraka on the Friday in 2016. I remember that morning we'd been sat on the grass at West Holts, then there never was any grass ever again. It had been muddy before that, especially on the paths, but that was the point it got FUBAR, that was the point where the rain came down at a time when everybody was on site and walking everywhere.

41 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Perhaps if we post more pictures of 2016 it might put off the newbies.

As a sciatica suffer it nearly finished me off....

1400262313_IMG_1866(Large).thumb.JPG.c85be1de1e4bfb020cff6d694c79ffc9.JPG

This is the worst type of mud. Not wet enough to be soft and squidgy to push on through, too dry in that it's become claggy like clay. Absolute killer on calf muscles, knee's and hamstrings. Everywhere takes ages to get to, you can't scoot around slow walkers. I remember just abandoning huge areas of the festival. John Peel? Too far to walk in that mud. Acoustic? No chance. Pyramid? Nope. Think I spent almost my entire festival at The Park, Crows Nest and Avalon. 

Edited by Keithy

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Control entry to the ticket ballot with the following questions:

1. What is the significance of this?

download10.jpg.126954b85e46412e130b3c6103eb7a74.jpg

2. You're on your way to see Ed Sheeran perform a "secret set" but you come across a one-armed Slovakian bagpipe player on a unicycle performing the score from Withnail & I on one of the risers.  Do you stay and watch or carry on to see Ed?

3. Your favourite act is headlining the Pyramid stage, but there is literally nothing on for the entire day until that point about which you give a rat's ass.  Do you camp out at the front of the stage for the day of complete boredom to ensure a prime spot for their set?

4. Do you think the T&C field should be replaced with a Nandos and some big screens to show sporting events?

5. What is this for?

download.jpg.7263fa2ca5e308c213579550420023e4.jpg

6. You see a Z-list celeb from *insert tv show du jour here* while engaged in a deep conversation with your group of friends about the relative merits of your next choice of stage / area / recreational substance.  Do you run over and get a selfie with them or continue to argue over Parquet Courts vs dropping acid?

7. What is the locking hook on the back of a long drop door actually for?

8. After securing your ticket on T-Day you find that none of the Pyramid headliners particularly appeal to you.  Do you return your ticket?

9. What is 9?

Done and dusted.

Brilliant! 

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

It remember it rained quite a bit on Sunday pm 2016, during and after ELO, and there were punters leaving the site early to avoid the rain and mud. I remember speaking to a lot of folk worried about getting stuck in the car parks so were going to leave Sunday evening

yup, I remember the rain too, it was dryish in the morning, as I went to the skate park by the boat (where my profile pic was taken) and had a push around before heading to the main stage to meet friends and watch ELO.

The skate park had an almost airlock style entrance, you had to de-mud before climbing onto a lovelely clean area and then onto the ramps.

Does anyone know who organises the skatepark out of interest? I vaguely recognised some of them, but I'm too shy to ask :)

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Hammered it down during Dakhabraka on the Friday in 2016. I remember that morning we'd been sat on the grass at West Holts, then there never was any grass ever again. It had been muddy before that, especially on the paths, but that was the point it got FUBAR, that was the point where the rain came down at a time when everybody was on site and walking everywhere.

Aye. I remember sitting down on the Park Hill on firm, grassy ground on Thurs afternoon. That was the last time.

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

This is the worst type of mud. Not wet enough to be soft and squidgy to push on through, too dry in that it's become claggy like clay. Absolute killer on calf muscles, knee's and hamstrings. Everywhere takes ages to get to, you can't scoot around slow walkers. I remember just abandoned huge areas of the festival. John Peel? Too far to walk in that mud. Acoustic? No chance. Pyramid? Nope. Think I spent almost my entire festival at The Park, Crows Nest and Avalon. 

I didn't know of types of mud and consistencies until I attended the festival ... now im totally with you on the worst mud thing :) 

Can also confirm 2016 was moist based on the following memories:

- Extremely toned calf and thigh muscles by Monday.
- Watching TDCC under a public piece of blue tarpaulin.
- Lots of horrifically large white grubs being churned up from the mud around the tent.

54 minutes ago, Keithy said:

This is the worst type of mud. Not wet enough to be soft and squidgy to push on through, too dry in that it's become claggy like clay. Absolute killer on calf muscles, knee's and hamstrings. Everywhere takes ages to get to, you can't scoot around slow walkers. I remember just abandoning huge areas of the festival. John Peel? Too far to walk in that mud. Acoustic? No chance. Pyramid? Nope. Think I spent almost my entire festival at The Park, Crows Nest and Avalon. 

Yup, missed loads of acts on JP cos by Sunday I sat my ass down in West Holts and saved the remaining energy I had for LCD Soundsystem which was epic!!!! 

12 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

2016 killed off a lot of my group who haven't been since. The walking conditions were horrific and there was nowhere to sit down once you left your tent. Legs and feet were ruined. Slept for about 16 hours when I got back after that one

I never understand why people say there's nowhere to sit down when its muddy- just take a bin liner and sit on it, it's waterproof so your bottom doesn't get wet and you can wear waterproof trousers to be doubley safe. The grounds pretty soft so it's quite comfortable

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I never understand why people say there's nowhere to sit down when its muddy- just take a bin liner and sit on it, it's waterproof so your bottom doesn't get wet and you can wear waterproof trousers to be doubley safe. The grounds pretty soft so it's quite comfortable

Often hard to get back up again though .....