Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

8 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Was 2016 worse than 2011 weather wise?

i had a relatively crappy 2015 and needed a year off. I was also out of the country so it all sort of passed me by.

If barely rained during 2016, but it rained for a about a month beforehand and hence the ground was completely and utterly fucked. By no means the worst actual weather, but probably amongst the worst ground conditions the festival has ever experienced.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If barely rained during 2016, but it rained for a about a month beforehand and hence the ground was completely and utterly fucked. By no means the worst actual weather, but probably amongst the worst ground conditions the festival has ever experienced.

Interesting, thanks.

i just remember in 2011 seeing a ‘welly graveyard’ by the park stage with about 200 lost wellies and walking around shangri la with mud up to my knee.

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This to a tee. I got sunburn in 2016

13 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

This to a tee. I got sunburn in 2016

Same here, I think it was the Friday where it absolutely lashed it down for five minutes then was instantly followed by baking heat. Can't imagine that helped the mud.

For what it's worth, 2016 was my first year. While like others the mud pushed me to the limit at times, it certainly hasn't put me off as I've the mindset that it can't get much worse than that (famous last words I know!).

The idea of actual being able to plonk my arse down on the grass and watch a band with a tinny is glorious.

Edited by Johnkhutch

7 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

See I had a really quick refresh rate on the one laptop that didn’t just crash, that was Chrome via a EE 4G wireless router. I then had a reasonable refresh rate on my phone via safari on 4G but that slowed down every so often.

My MacBook on safari via WiFi crashed a couple of minutes before 9 and I couldn’t get anything other than a white screen.

I think it really is just random luck. You get the holding page, you don’t get a holding page, you get the booking page, you don’t get the booking page.

What I do know is that unless your are stupidly lucky unless you have a few devices you’re likely to be screwed. If you just have one device and at 9 you can’t even get the booking page you’re in a bad way.

Obviously there will have been people who had one device and get through, but they don’t know how lucky they are because a lot of people don’t get that far. At least if you’ve got a few devices you can just concentrate on the ones that are working... and then in my case still not get tickets!

We started with 3 laptops and 3 phones and ended up with a permanent chrome holding page on one phone, with a holding Edge on a laptop and getting through on another Edge. Everything else stopped loading. Might have been us trying to force too much up and down our twin pair copper wire mind!

Was 2016 the year Jake Bugg headlined Other Stage? I definitely remember that year there was nice weather but the mud really drained my energy so I just wanted to go to bed after the headliner each night!

Edited by fowls

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody in another thread said they got one after it had apparently sold out, so at about 9.40.

That was a case of someone having their list in the proof name and the transaction just not going through. Finally after keeping trying back and forth it took it. So 9:36 all allocation was taken but maybe due to overload and issues some didn'tget across the line.

2016 was my first year, and the mud was a nightmare, but even with the mud it was the best time of my life. I love telling my mud horror stories and showing pictures, so people dont get tempted to go ? 

It also made 2017 that much better, seeing the fests full potential, being able to lay in the grass and watch shows. 

Can't wait for 2019! I feel so lucky today.

5 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They don’t need to do that. I reckon a better idea would be to go back to a phone only sale.

They could get two/three groups of volunteers who would all get a ticket to man 100 phone lines.

Lets say the average time it takes to deal with a booking is 5 minutes and everybody who gets through buys 6 tickets, so roughly every 5 minutes 600 tickets are sold. Based on 135k tickets the sale would therefore take just over 18 hours. You could have three teams covering shifts of 6 hours.

That way you’ve basically got a ballot system but equally if you’re willing to put the effort in you’ve got a greater chance. No glitches, no getting chucked out in the payment screen, no potential advantage or disadvantage due to using a certain browser or being on 4G/ WiFi etc. You’ve got roughly 18 hours to get through to a free operator.

Nobody could moan it wasn’t fair and that they didn’t have the same chance as anyone else.

I don't see how that differs from the current system except being slower?

You can still have multiple phone lines and multiple devices to allow you to try concurrently, it's still down to how quick you press redial. And why do you assume that the type of phone, the type of connection or your phone provider will not make any difference when you think 4G/WiFi, or certain browsers do now?

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

That was a case of someone having their list in the proof name and the transaction just not going through. Finally after keeping trying back and forth it took it. So 9:36 all allocation was taken but maybe due to overload and issues some didn'tget across the line.

?  can say for sure that was the case for one 1 of my group of 6.  I was back and forthing on each step around this time and I was  trying sold out from mates on group chat but I kept going with the ones in my basket.

One of my other groups was way passed sold out.  They actually go the messages and then pressed back to proceed.

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I don't see how that differs from the current system except being slower?

You can still have multiple phone lines and multiple devices to allow you to try concurrently, it's still down to how quick you press redial. And why do you assume that the type of phone, the type of connection or your phone provider will not make any difference when you think 4G/WiFi, or certain browsers do now?

It was in response to the suggestion that we need to go to a ballot before long, with my suggestion being if there was any sort of change surely this would be preferable to a ballot?

Naturally the sale would be longer, which would be the point. You wouldn’t get people moaning on twitter that their computer crashed and that the current system favours people with tech knowledge.

You could easily eradicate people trying on multiple phones and getting friends to try for them by having to nominate a phone number that you will call from for each registration, so each person can only try from one phone number.

I’m not suggesting we should switch to this system, but before a ballot is considered there would be far better ways to keep as many people happy as possible.

14 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That is no doubt true. The company I work for, although a completely different sector ‘white label’ services for certain companies at cost simply to be able to say they provide a service on behalf of xxxx company.

Exactly. I work in Air Traffic and the company I work for does the Manchester contract at cost because of the size of the airport. 

While they’ve got a cheap deal with See and the festival is selling out it’s entirely fair that GF doesn’t care, but I think something will have to change soon.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It was in response to the suggestion that we need to go to a ballot before long, with my suggestion being if there was any sort of change surely this would be preferable to a ballot?

Naturally the sale would be longer, which would be the point. You wouldn’t get people moaning on twitter that their computer crashed and that the current system favours people with tech knowledge.

You could easily eradicate people trying on multiple phones and getting friends to try for them by having to nominate a phone number that you will call from for each registration, so each person can only try from one phone number.

I’m not suggesting we should switch to this system, but before a ballot is considered there would be far better ways to keep as many people happy as possible.

The phone systems these days run on the same tech that computers do. It'd be just as prone to crashing or favouring people with knowledge of the tech. And you can have more than one device with the same phone number.

Having a longer sale can be achieved with the current system, just by reducing the number of transactions it can manage per minute or whatever.

14 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It appeared to rain every time you thought it may dry out a little. As you say though the damage was done before the festival, especially the Wednesday where there was hours and hours of heavy rain on what was an already saturated farm.

The underfoot conditions were unbelievably sticky/claggy from the moment you arrived at the festival till you left.

11 hours ago, Peroni said:

?  can say for sure that was the case for one 1 of my group of 6.  I was back and forthing on each step around this time and I was  trying sold out from mates on group chat but I kept going with the ones in my basket.

One of my other groups was way passed sold out.  They actually go the messages and then pressed back to proceed.

Yeah, it's still sold out of people have entered reg numbers etc and are at the payment screen but having issue....those tickets are still tied up unless they choose not to have them...it's completely fucks up.

Does anyone know how they know more people were trying? Is it website hits / unique ISPs trying to access the site? I am sure folks are wiser these days and know to use multiple devices/multiple browsers/multiple ISPs/mutiple tabs, and constantly clicking on refresh every second, but how would they being able to establish that equates to more people trying?

The lack of ticket success from regulars on these boards would indicate that this was indeed the case, but how would they actually know?

34 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

It appeared to rain every time you thought it may dry out a little. As you say though the damage was done before the festival, especially the Wednesday where there was hours and hours of heavy rain on what was an already saturated farm.

The underfoot conditions were unbelievably sticky/claggy from the moment you arrived at the festival till you left.

It bloody did rain during the weekend in 2016!

I was dancing in Lovebullets (then in Shangri-La) from 0300-0600h Sunday (I think!) morning in almost continuous light rain. Then it caned it down at 0700h when I was on the back to the tent. Then I have vivid memories of trawling around Silver Hayes on Sunday afternoon in rain for a good few hours. No question it was the rain pre-festival that really did for us, but that was not a dry Glastonbury!!

Ben

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It bloody did rain during the weekend in 2016!

I was dancing in Lovebullets (then in Shangri-La) from 0300-0600h Sunday (I think!) morning in almost continuous light rain. Then it caned it down at 0700h when I was on the back to the tent. Then I have vivid memories of trawling around Silver Hayes on Sunday afternoon in rain for a good few hours. No question it was the rain pre-festival that really did for us, but that was not a dry Glastonbury!!

Ben

Yeah, definitely rained. 

Although I may of missed a couple of the times you mentioned. It rained quite a lot on the Sunday throughout the day.