Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

40 minutes ago, Swieve said:

The only perfect system is the one where everyone gets tickets.  Unfortunately that is just not possible.  I didn't get a sniff at the booking page this year which hasn't happened to me since 2005.  However I ran a well organised squad of folks and our 12 all got a ticket by around 20 minutes in.  Judging by the stories I'm hearing we were the exception this time around :(

We need a Jay Z type headliner and some rain to dampen enthusiasm.  As someone said.  It is a bucket list event now.  that can never be a good thing 

We’ve since had Kanye and the biblical mud of 2016. Things like that make absolutely no difference anymore.

1 minute ago, Peroni said:

2016 put a few of our groups off, even my other half (a veteran of 2007)  they have all come back with avengence for 2019.

Yeah none of the people I went with in 2016 returned for last year and I assumed it was largely due to the awful weather/ground conditions. Most of them regretted it and are attending/trying to attend next year.

I've realised that although 2016 was bloody hard work, the music for me was outstanding.  2017 was much more enjoyable weather wise but when I listen back to the bands I saw that year, they weren't a patch on 2016.  Not sure what point I'm making really, I'd like a music year like 2016 and a weather year like 2017.  Please.

I think maybe if I'd experienced the delays entering in 2016 I'd have worse memories but luckily I could only get a coach ticket for Thursday so missed all that.  It never occurred to me not to return in 2017.

Edited by Beerqueen

2016 didn’t put me or anyone I know off one bit, if anything it made us want to go more on the basis the next year would probably be better.

Undoubtedly it would’ve put a few first timers off, but the net effect of 2016 would’ve been negligible.

Now if you had three or four years of consecutive washouts it might start to have an impact, but that’s never happened and seems unlikely. 

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

I've realised that although 2016 was bloody hard work, the music for me was outstanding.  2017 was much more enjoyable weather wise but when I listen back to the bands I saw that year, they weren't a patch on 2016.  Not sure what point I'm making really, I'd like a music year like 2016 and a weather year like 2017.  Please.

2016 was a classic year for me. The atmosphere.  The amount of wonderful strangers rushing over to you to help pulling you out of the mud when your wellies got stuck. The music. The fact it didn't really rain in the night once. The company I was with. Preferred it a lot more than 2017.

I feel like the mud only puts the people off who don't go anyway and would rather watch it at home "oooh you wouldn't find me in a muddy field like that" judging only what the BBC coverage shows.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

I got through on my ipad, so didn’t even have the word document i’d put on my pc to cut & paste from. Anyway, all worked out alright in the end

Exactly the same as me, and the trembling hands.

Got through fairly quickly (8mins?) on my ipad but after I'd entered the reg details and hit proceed it froze and stayed like that for at least 10 mins with me hitting back button and f5 periodically. Was also trying to concentrate on my other ipad and PC which was utilising Edge and IE; neither got anywhere near and hardly even got the holding page after the first few mins.

I'd just about given up on the page I'd been successful on but it still had the reg address at the top of the screen; I hit refresh again and the form came up again but it had become unpopulated. I filled it in again and this time went through to payment quickly, where I mangaged to get my first payment debit card rejected by being so nervous I forgot to enter the bloody expiry date. Entered another credit card and it went though.....was emotional! Oh yes, the timer thing didn't start until I started to input the payment details, not the regs.

Just now, D-Low said:

2016 was a classic year for me. The atmosphere.  The amount of wonderful strangers rushing over to you to help pulling you out of the mud when your wellies got stuck. The music. The fact it didn't really rain in the night once. The company I was with. Preferred it a lot more than 2017.

I feel like the mud only puts the people off who don't go anyway and would rather watch it at home "oooh you wouldn't find me in a muddy field like that" judging only what the BBC coverage shows.

Yes - I was literally stuck in the mud at the Avalon Inn - every time I tried to move, my welly came off, until I couldn't move for laughing! A random stranger was trying to pull me out but leaving my wellies behind!

But it was bloody exhausting too!  Not being able to sit down easily.  The trudging through the mud. I remember watching Richard Hawley after hauling myself up to the Park and almost falling asleep standing up.  And the Bimble Inn was empty because no-one could be bothered to trudge up there. It was the first year I went up to Strummerville and I thought it was an epic climb.  Couldn't believe it was the same hill in 2017! 

But some of my best memories are from 2016.  (Probably some of my worst too, but I've wiped those!)

Just now, Beerqueen said:

Yes - I was literally stuck in the mud at the Avalon Inn - every time I tried to move, my welly came off, until I couldn't move for laughing! A random stranger was trying to pull me out but leaving my wellies behind!

But it was bloody exhausting too!  Not being able to sit down easily.  The trudging through the mud. I remember watching Richard Hawley after hauling myself up to the Park and almost falling asleep standing up.  And the Bimble Inn was empty because no-one could be bothered to trudge up there. It was the first year I went up to Strummerville and I thought it was an epic climb.  Couldn't believe it was the same hill in 2017! 

But some of my best memories are from 2016.  (Probably some of my worst too, but I've wiped those!)

The bad memories are like childbirth. You seem to forget all the mud and hard work when it comes to the next ticket day! 

4 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s hard not to though. I couldn’t resist a little look on twitter. The amount of people who don’t understand the concept of supply and demand is simply stunning, only beaten by the level of ignorance and entitlement people possess nowdays. 

it's really ridiculous, I didn't get in but am happy for those who did, they'll have a great time. I'm fairly zen about it as long as we get the group along to another fest we'll have a great time (primavera is the one it's looking like, I'd love to be at the farm but been there the last two years can't complain at all.)

Just now, Beerqueen said:

That hill was a doddle in 17.

I forgot about the traffic chaos that year. 15 hours from door to setting up my tent. If it meant sitting in that every year to guarantee a ticket though I would jump at the chance. And once again a shout out to how amazing everyone was in the mud. Everyone walking back to their own cars along the pathways were dropping their bags and rushing over to help people push their cars that were stuck in the mud. So much camaraderie. I love the spirit there so much. You rarely see it at any other festivals and people ask me why Glastonbury is the best. 

6 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

The bad memories are like childbirth. You seem to forget all the mud and hard work when it comes to the next ticket day! 

It never occurred to me not to try again for tickets just over three months later!  

I do remember feeling a bit pissed off and low and trudging around, before stumbling across Lekkido Lord of the Lobster singing to about 20 people in the rain and it just felt so right!  From there I went into a bar with a DJ who played the Specials "Message to you Rudy" and one of the New York Brass Band stood on the table playing along on his trombone.  Those two things were some of the highlights of the weekend but people always think it's all about the Pyramid Stage and ask you about the headliners. 

I would really welcome a ticket that you could buy which only gave access to non-main stage but was easier to buy!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jsmooth said:

it's really ridiculous, I didn't get in but am happy for those who did, they'll have a great time. I'm fairly zen about it as long as we get the group along to another fest we'll have a great time (primavera is the one it's looking like, I'd love to be at the farm but been there the last two years can't complain at all.)

I didn’t get a ticket either. Not a year will go by when I don’t want to go, I’ll try my best every year to go and I’ll exhaust all the avenues that are available until they’re all gone. I know that if I really really want to go there are options that may or may not be viable (volunteering/paying through the nose/jumping over the fence) it just depends how far I’m willing to go to get a ticket.

But what I also know is that for 30 minutes on the first Sunday in October I’m competing with millions of people for a finite amount of tickets. Not everyone can go, nobody deserves to go more than anybody else regardless of how many times you’ve been or otherwise. Sometimes you will be the pigeon and sometimes you will be the statue, that’s life.

Most people on Twitter are outraged simply because they didn’t get a ticket, to them it’s a completely unfair it’s system because it didn’t favour them and let them through, which is quite frankly ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I was very lucky to get a ticket this year.  I didn't get anywhere near but a friend of a friend got me a ticket.  If I hadn't got one, I wouldn't be claiming it was unfair although I would obviously be disappointed.  But the year I don't get a ticket (probably next year!) I will choose an alternative festival which will be enjoyable no doubt though not Glasto!

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

I was very lucky to get a ticket this year.  I didn't get anywhere near but a friend of a friend got me a ticket.  If I hadn't got one, I wouldn't be claiming it was unfair although I would obviously be disappointed.  But the year I don't get a ticket (probably next year!) I will choose an alternative festival which will be enjoyable no doubt though not Glasto!

8 people were trying for 2 separate groups and only myself and a mate got through, once each. Very lucky indeed.

Wanted to help a few others who post on here out after but I couldn't get a sniff after.

40 minutes ago, Peroni said:

2016 put a few of our groups off, even my other half (a veteran of 2007)  they have all come back with avengence for 2019.

Missed out today but been 4 times before; 04, 07, 10, 16.

2007 and 2016 pushed me to the limits but still managed to have a fantastic time. However 2010 is widely regarded as the most perfect Glasto for years which I was lucky to be at so swings and roundabouts. 

Re-sale here I come......I think.

4 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Was 2016 worse than 2011 weather wise?

i had a relatively crappy 2015 and needed a year off. I was also out of the country so it all sort of passed me by.

Yeah easily. 2011 wasn’t that bad, 2016 was thick mud all festival, cars stuck, Crow’s Nest almost inaccessible. Not the rainiest but about as muddy as it could get really.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

- I know some people who would be very disappointed with an announcement of the cure that have tickets this year

Are they rumoured? I haven’t paid attention to the speculation until now, but that would be excellent.

1 minute ago, Bradders said:

Yeah easily. 2011 wasn’t that bad, 2016 was thick mud all festival, cars stuck, Crow’s Nest almost inaccessible. Not the rainiest but about as muddy as it could get really.

Yeah I don't actually remember that much rain over the festival - it was all the stuff under foot!  So difficult to walk anywhere,