Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I honestly think they’re going to have to go to a lottery before long

I really hope that doesn’t happen. As much as I hate ticket day, at least it rewards the lucky who put the effort in. I know a lot miss out but it would prevent those just applying on a whim and not really caring. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Sasperella said:

Haha....so true! I can't fathom how people are annoyed at them for not being able to keep up with demand???

Even if see sorted the servers out they’d be complaining it sells out too quickly and they didn’t have enough time to put details in. No matter what they do, people will miss out. 

3 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Even if see sorted the servers out they’d be complaining it sells out too quickly and they didn’t have enough time to put details in. No matter what they do, people will miss out. 

Absolutely. Nobody knows how many individual people try for tickets but it must be north of a million, so with 135k tickets to play for as grim as it is you’ve probably got a 1 in 10 chance. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

17 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I honestly think they’re going to have to go to a lottery before long

They don’t need to do that. I reckon a better idea would be to go back to a phone only sale.

They could get two/three groups of volunteers who would all get a ticket to man 100 phone lines.

Lets say the average time it takes to deal with a booking is 5 minutes and everybody who gets through buys 6 tickets, so roughly every 5 minutes 600 tickets are sold. Based on 135k tickets the sale would therefore take just over 18 hours. You could have three teams covering shifts of 6 hours.

That way you’ve basically got a ballot system but equally if you’re willing to put the effort in you’ve got a greater chance. No glitches, no getting chucked out in the payment screen, no potential advantage or disadvantage due to using a certain browser or being on 4G/ WiFi etc. You’ve got roughly 18 hours to get through to a free operator.

Nobody could moan it wasn’t fair and that they didn’t have the same chance as anyone else.

I don't think I could deal with 18 hours of stress waiting on a phone :fie: (although I would persevere).

I see a lot of people always wondering how it's the same groups that always seem to go and whether they get preferential treatment from having been before.  I guess they don't realise how dedicated some groups are to buying. There's enough planning and organisation that goes in to ticket buying that could run a small army. Plus when there's a group of 50 people all with dedicated groups set out on spreadsheets, who then go on to help the others once their group of 6 are sorted, they are clearly going to fair better than someone trying on their own or as a two.

36 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I’ve got real fear already for 2020 anniversary year... this year was brutal! 

Me too! I think next year I'm just going to try with the assumption of failure....and then maybe be plesently surprised ? Although, I guess I kinda did that this year already....

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

cant they just let people through the doors at a certain rate ? rather than having someone punch them in the face in every room ? thats my analogy of it ? why does the system kick people at all stages ?

It’s a difficult one. My take on it is that they have a setup in place that has been the same set up for the last few years, the reason I say this is because I think both demand and the amount of devices being used has definitely gone up each year, but the quickest sale time peaked in 2014 at just over 24 minutes. I think the sales have actually got slightly longer since because of the extra demand and the subsequent payment glitches that you refer to that this creates.

Now I personally think this is intentional, the technology is there to be able to sell all the tickets within a few minutes, but I think the organisers know people would absolutely hate that. I think a situation like that would be massively counter productive to them in the long run because if tickets just went in 1 minute like some arena gigs do people would just become completely disillusioned with the whole thing.

So I think they stick with a system that means tickets will probably sell out in just over 30 minutes, but unfortunately that means that due to demand you also get these unfortunate payment glitches.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s a difficult one. My take on it is that they have a setup in place that has been the same set up for the last few years, the reason I say this is because I think both demand and the amount of devices being used has definitely gone up each year, but the quickest sale time peaked in 2014 at just over 24 minutes. I think the sales have actually got slightly longer since because of the extra demand and the subsequent payment glitches tha you refer to that this creates.

Now I personally think this is intentional, the technology is there to be able to sell all the tickets within a few minutes, but I think the organisers know people would absolutely hate that.

So I think they stick with a system that means tickets will probably sell out in just over 30 minutes, but unfortunately that means that due to demand you got these unfortunate payment glitches.

system seems ok to me  ...they need to sort out the glitches .... problem im sure is they really only get 1 sale a year to work from ... I  totally understand the demand and devices bit and know that it won't always be possible to enter the next room 

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s a difficult one. My take on it is that they have a setup in place that has been the same set up for the last few years, the reason I say this is because I think both demand and the amount of devices being used has definitely gone up each year, but the quickest sale time peaked in 2014 at just over 24 minutes. I think the sales have actually got slightly longer since because of the extra demand and the subsequent payment glitches tha you refer to that this creates.

I reckon they must've been upgrading the system though, coz it crashed horribly in the early 2010's, and despite not being able to service all the sessions requested (how could it?) at least it hasn't completely gone down in the last few ticket days

But yes, it's still the same setup, with load balancers serving up holding pages and then letting people through on a round-robin to ticket sales servers. Not sure how that could be any different, just bigger (ie. more machines) so that people don't get the problems at the payment page stage

1 hour ago, Lucy92 said:

I really hope that doesn’t happen. As much as I hate ticket day, at least it rewards the lucky who put the effort in. I know a lot miss out but it would prevent those just applying on a whim and not really caring. 

I used to think that too. But with it being sheer luck it seems these days there isn’t the equation between effort and reward anymore. The person with friends trying, multiple devices, VPNs, work Networks etc can lose out to the person who leaves their phone refreshing and it happens to go through at the right time.

Essentially, they’re still running the same system they have for the last 8 festivals but the technology involved and the availability of that technology is changing all the time. As the numbers applying (whether it be more individuals or just more IP addresses) go further beyond the number of tickets they’re going to have to change too. I’m not saying I like it but plenty of organisations have been using lotteries for years-I was in postal ballots for Man United Games back in 1992.

On top of that, having a situation where punters can get through to the payment page and the system kicks them out is rank amateurish. I never got that far but that would seriously rankle. They need to sort that out. And the Eavii are the first to say they can’t stand still.

Edited by MEGABOWL

It's a lottery as it is. Cant see no better way. Some of ours got and some didnt. 

I think if they could sort it so if you got the numbers page to put numbers in then your OK then nobody could really moan.

Its a killer getting that far with no joy as I know many people did and I have in the past.

1 minute ago, billum said:

I reckon they must've been upgrading the system though, coz it crashed horribly in the early 2010's, and despite not being able to service all the sessions requested (how could it?) at least it hasn't completely gone down in the last few ticket days

But yes, it's still the same setup, with load balancers serving up holding pages and then letting people through on a round-robin to ticket sales servers. Not sure how that could be any different, just bigger (ie. more machines) so that people don't get the problems at the payment page stage

I think they have definitely upgraded over time, but without looking at the ‘thingy’ to confirm sell out times, probably from about October 2012 they haven’t.

Otherwise I don’t think you can explain how in 2014 it sold out in the current record time but subsequent times have been longer. I reckon that was the optimal amount of traffic that the system was designed to cope with.

I fail to believe demand has actually dropped based on how many people I know who where trying but didn’t get through, because more people I know than ever were trying but nobody got a ticket.

The only explanation in my eyes is the same set up but greater demand creating a slightly longer sale and more payment glitches.

They could reinvest and beef up the system and no doubt bring the sale down to below 20 minutes, but I doubt that’s what people want either. 

41 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

But that's basically what we've got now, it's just luck whether you get in. How would an actual lottery be any different?  

Because it isn’t clear now what an individual has done to fail. If you don’t get drawn out of the metaphorical hat, well there you go, you had as much chance as anyone else. Now it’s this opaque thing where somebody can try really hard and get lucky, others try really hard and fail, others hardly try and get lucky. There’s all the different types of internet connection, speeds of internet connection, locations etc.etc. All that goes. That’s why so many oversubscribed events use a lottery.

And as I said earlier, I wasn’t one of those who got through to the payment page and got kicked out but at a basic level of IT competence, if thats happening your system isn’t working. They currently look like an organisation that hasn’t reacted to technology and the increase in demand.

Also we’ve heard in the past that Seetickets basically do it for cost and for the prestige. It’s understandable that Eavis has that deal with them for his costs, but that’s probably why the system is so bad. That factor also gets removed or at least negated.

Edited by MEGABOWL

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Also we’ve heard in the past that Seetickets basically do it for cost and for the prestige. It’s understandable that Eavis has that deal with them for his costs, but that’s probably why the system is so bad. That factor also gets removed or at least negated.

That is no doubt true. The company I work for, although a completely different sector ‘white label’ services for certain companies at cost simply to be able to say they provide a service on behalf of xxxx company.

The only perfect system is the one where everyone gets tickets.  Unfortunately that is just not possible.  I didn't get a sniff at the booking page this year which hasn't happened to me since 2005.  However I ran a well organised squad of folks and our 12 all got a ticket by around 20 minutes in.  Judging by the stories I'm hearing we were the exception this time around :(

We need a Jay Z type headliner and some rain to dampen enthusiasm.  As someone said.  It is a bucket list event now.  that can never be a good thing 

I have always thought of seetickets to be the best of the big ticket sellers but they are starting to get sloppy of late.

for the Bearded Theory sale last month they missed some code off the booking process and quite a few people never got a confimation page and every time they re-freshed it charged the cards again.

1 hour ago, Lucy92 said:

Of course ultimately more people lose out than get lucky, but this year lots of people got as far as the payment page before losing out. That’s a bit different from not getting a sniff in the first place. There were three of us in different locations trying this morning. I got absolutely nowhere at home, another got as far as the booking page before crashing and thankfully, Mrs b was in an airport and their WiFi did the trick. Or maybe just got lucky. But I would have been gutted had she not, knowing the tickets were seemingly within our grasp.

It's the same every year, some win and some lose. I got to the booking page on previous years and it crashed, this isn't the first year it's happened. The system is fine as it is, it makes it exciting and at least you feel like you can have some influence on getting a ticket. A ballot or a system that could sell all tickets in 1 minute isn't the answer and I would hate it, as would most. I was one of the lucky ones today, and that's what it boils down to really, luck.