Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

1 hour ago, SophieBee said:

That's exactly what happened to us - makes it a bit more frustrating than just spending 30 minutes looking at the same holding page (which was what I got). Ah well, we're bowing out now. No resale for us - we had a good run and this is the first time since the 2013 fest that we've tried and failed, so it had to happen one day. Exploring Euro options as we speak...

Dekmantel  if you like electronic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

We did manage to get 17 tickets in the end, but we couldn't press the back button to get back in which has always worked before. So two people from different groups got in within first five mins, secured their group, but then we had a tense ten mins trying to get back in for the next lot. The back thing has always worked for us in the past - although i think @parsonjack did say it would be unlikely this time - but I suppose that has helped the bigger groups before. Without that, it really is a lot of luck, although it obviously still helps being in a big group rather than a small group

I have also seen a lot of people on twitter complaining who've not been before, saying it's too hard to get tickets for new people, and on saying that there should be a system where if you fail say, four times, you get priority. So I guess just a lot of people losing out all round :(

Failed this year. None of the 3 persons trying succeeded. I got the closest...timed out after pressing proceed after entering reg nos. etc. Then back button didn't work and I was totally thrown out. Still averaging 50% attendance at last 10 festivals. I can live with that.

However I have thought for a long time that the ticketing system could be made fairer to reward those who missed out this morning. Something along the lines whereby all those who got the dreaded sold out screen as their only reward for finger repetitive strain were given the opportunity to register for a priority ticket option for the proceeding Glasto. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lycra said:

However I have thought for a long time that the ticketing system could be made fairer to reward those who missed out this morning. Something along the lines whereby all those who got the dreaded sold out screen as their only reward for finger repetitive strain were given the opportunity to register for a priority ticket option for the proceeding Glasto. 

Not a bad idea although it could mean that it could become virtually impossible to go to two festivals in a row.

I don’t have a problem with how the sale works and accept its massively over subscribed so it’s just the way it works.

I do find it slightly galling when you read about these mega sized groups who get in three or four times. Even if a lot of these groups still don’t manage to get all 30/40/50 of them, in many cases half or more of them do so it’s still a huge amount of people. 

I know it’s sounds like sour grapes (and it is, really) but I just wanted to get through once and get 6 tickets, not 30 or 40. I know it’s just the nature of the beast though.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

We did manage to get 17 tickets in the end, but we couldn't press the back button to get back in which has always worked before. So two people from different groups got in within first five mins, secured their group, but then we had a tense ten mins trying to get back in for the next lot. The back thing has always worked for us in the past - although i think @parsonjack did say it would be unlikely this time - but I suppose that has helped the bigger groups before. Without that, it really is a lot of luck, although it obviously still helps being in a big group rather than a small group

I have also seen a lot of people on twitter complaining who've not been before, saying it's too hard to get tickets for new people, and on saying that there should be a system where if you fail say, four times, you get priority. So I guess just a lot of people losing out all round :(

Didn’t know the back button to get more tickets was a thing, always wondered how you’d see people posting on here saying they got 24 tickets etc 

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t have a problem with how the sale works and accept its massively over subscribed so it’s just the way it works.

I do find it slightly galling when you read about these mega sized groups who get in three or four times. Even if a lot of these groups still don’t manage to get all 30/40/50 of them, in many cases half or more of them do so it’s still a huge amount of people. 

I know it’s sounds like sour grapes (and it is, really) but I just wanted to get through once and get 6 tickets, not 30 or 40. I know it’s just the nature of the beast though.

That's understandable. It does seem a broken system if the few who do get through for whatever reason can become the Ticket Gatekeepers, repeatedly buying tickets for all their friends in multiple orders. At least it's heartening to see clicking back doesn't always work.

I really don't know what can change. Each year it's a record number of people.  It's going to be harder and harder on internet servers - even if they do improve it'll be a case of 1 minute sellouts like you see with arena tours.  Either you get straight through or you refresh straight to a sold out page.  Thats no less frustrsting.  A ballot sure is the fairest way, no doubt about it, but encourages far more "have-a-go" punter's who wouldn't brave the gauntlet usually, resulting in far more applications and far less chance of getting tickets. 

If anything I liked how it was a few years back with tickets taking an hour or two to break through the crashes and sell out. At least then there was some attrition after people started giving up!

Edited by fowls

Just now, Bradders said:

The back button doesn’t work so the only reason big groups get more tickets between them is more people trying. It’s not a “once you’re in you can buy 30” situation.

Yeah, it's a good step forward. Admittedly, I remember using that loop hole myself a few times (to help out one or two people, not dozens!).

26 minutes ago, fowls said:

That's understandable. It does seem a broken system if the few who do get through for whatever reason can become the Ticket Gatekeepers, repeatedly buying tickets for all their friends in multiple orders. At least it's heartening to see clicking back doesn't always work.

I really don't know what can change. Each year it's a record number of people.  It's going to be harder and harder on internet servers - even if they do improve it'll be a case of 1 minute sellouts like you see with arena tours.  Either you get straight through or you refresh straight to a sold out page.  Thats no less frustrsting.  A ballot sure is the fairest way, no doubt about it, but encourages far more "have-a-go" punter's who wouldn't brave the gauntlet usually, resulting in far more applications and far less chance of getting tickets. 

If anything I liked how it was a few years back with tickets taking an hour or two to break through the crashes and sell out. At least then there was some attrition after people started giving up!

There is no solution really. I agree about things selling out in a minute, I genuinely think they could make that happen if they wanted to but they don’t, simply because it would be awful. The result is 30 minutes of mostly frustration. A ballot would probably mean at best you’d go every 4/5 years which would be worst of all.

I think there has been a definite change over the last couple of sales which I think will only sadly get worse. Before that I genuinely think that if you had a few devices, a few connections, a few people were trying and your were organised and focused you were pretty much golden, I certainly was.

Now I think it’s a case that even with the best will in the world the odds are against you, and it could be that you face two/three years at time not being successful.

I think that’s proven by the fact I know more people than ever that we’re trying and wanted to go in the form of friends of friends and work colleagues, but none of us actually got tickets. 

That I know of we we had three of us at mine on god knows how many devices, and the other three in their own respective homes on various devices, another group of 6 friends all trying in their own homes, a girl at work trying at home with her daughter trying at her house and another girl at work with four people trying for them in different places, not a sniff. That’s more people than I’ve ever know trying, yet without any success at all.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1

Bravo to those that got in. First time in ten years I’ve failed. Tbh though I’m not sure I want to stand in a field with 100k millennial instagramers facing uphill and doing yoga poses on the stone circle. Will go to NOS or something instead.

I think the festival will be very different. It is turning in to a dance party, more like reading or V.  Great for the kids. Last Glasto was the first time I’d ever had agro (well, since the nighties anyway). Might be time to find myself a little folk festival. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

It doesn't necessarily mean a they're all new though - a lot could just be people that haven't been for a few years are keen. 2017 was so spectacular that I could imagine people being enticed back after hearing about it, and anyone that did go wouldn't have been put off (like they may have been after 2016!). So, I'm optimistic that not all newbies :) But maybe that's just because I'm on a severe post ticket high

Exactly this - we all tried again this time

all my usual groups had a break in 2017 after 2016 was such hard work!

The glorious summer this year has given us all new hope of a better 2019 and helped us forget the badness

Belatedly one group got confirmed, so we got 6 out of 37. By a very large margin our worst performance. 

If many who succeeded are newbies that’s fine, can’t always just me old crusties like me!! 

With such a poor showing in our group, a full salvation in the resales is very unlikely so will have to consider conceding defeat sadly, lacking most of my friends would make 2019 less special even if I found a way to go.

20 minutes ago, Abensie said:

Bravo to those that got in. First time in ten years I’ve failed. Tbh though I’m not sure I want to stand in a field with 100k millennial instagramers facing uphill and doing yoga poses on the stone circle. Will go to NOS or something instead.

I think the festival will be very different. It is turning in to a dance party, more like reading or V.  Great for the kids. Last Glasto was the first time I’d ever had agro (well, since the nighties anyway). Might be time to find myself a little folk festival. :)

Wow, bitter much. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 out of 7 for our group, 2 of us got through once each and we nailed it. Nearly every other group I know failed though.

It really is a properly weird system, I refuse to believe that there is no way you can improve your chances (aside from additional devices/connections, etc), but I just don't know what those variables are.

I mean, I had one Firefox browser on a 5 second auto-refresh that never got through. I had another browser (Chrome) which I was manually refreshing at almost the same rate, no luck. I closed Chrome, re-opened it, went to the link and got straight through, no waiting at all. I mean, wtf is that all about?

Never got through again after that on 4 browsers across 2 devices on separate connections.

Edited by EamerRed

Was a mammoth attempt this year.

108 people trying, 48 of us got tickets 

Massive spreadsheet, maximum coordination.

Majority of new people to our process failed to get through, most of the successful groups have been at least 3 years in a row previously.

I never got a whiff of the ticket page mind.

Amazing to see the difference in attitude on here vs Twitter/Facebook for those that never got tickets. Very bitter atmosphere on FB while on here people understand the system is really the fairest it can be for the level of demand 

34 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The back button doesn’t work so the only reason big groups get more tickets between them is more people trying. It’s not a “once you’re in you can buy 30” situation.

Yeah, it doesn't work now but it used to years back, not sure when it was stopped.

In my experience in the last couple of years it appears that it is more likely to get back on the sale screen if you have already got tickets. Almost as if you are dropped back in the middle of the queue, while most are still waiting to get in to the it. Last year I got on twice this year my mate did.

It's a combination of social media driving interest from newbies and a generation who are spending more of their income on experiences not possessions. 

Today seems the most savage in my memory of trying. That said Ive NEVER seen a registration entry page and this will be my 4th Glasto.

11 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Belatedly one group got confirmed, so we got 6 out of 37. By a very large margin our worst performance. 

If many who succeeded are newbies that’s fine, can’t always just me old crusties like me!! 

With such a poor showing in our group, a full salvation in the resales is very unlikely so will have to consider conceding defeat sadly, lacking most of my friends would make 2019 less special even if I found a way to go.

Really sorry to hear this ?. I failed too - could NOT get past the Buy page - but one of our group who never gets a sniff managed to secure them.   We were a group of 8 and still have 2 to try for in the resale (friend’s brother & mate). This is now splitting families!!

I failed for first time of trying since 2013. Pretty gutted, but it was just going to be me and the Mrs so at least no-one else we know will be going without us which makes it slightly less disappointing! That's what I keep telling myself anyway......

In terms of the ricket buying system, I honestly can't see how they could make it any fairer. But it is so frustrating just seeing the page loading for ages and then crashing. Only made the holding page once and that was for a bout 2mins