Record number of people trying .

Sawdusty surfer

According to The Guardian, record numbers of people tried for tickets this time. From reading on here and other places online it seems that loads of folk who usualy go failed to get tickets. This suggests that there coud be a whole load of newbies who have decided to go.This could have a slight effect on the atmosphere of the festival with herds of people getting lost, wandering around in a wide eyed daze and maybe the main stages being even more busy than usual as people don't know what else there is to see.

Oh, and I am going to go after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/07/glastonbury-tickets-2019-sell-out-in-half-an-hour

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I concur. Interestingly, the people who got through this time (2 groups) never normally come anywhere close.

First time since 04 I've not bought my own ticket. Discounting the epic fail in 2013 when exactly the same thing happened: the reg page and/or payment page would NOT proceed. Thought they'd sorted that glitch out.

It doesn't necessarily mean a they're all new though - a lot could just be people that haven't been for a few years are keen. 2017 was so spectacular that I could imagine people being enticed back after hearing about it, and anyone that did go wouldn't have been put off (like they may have been after 2016!). So, I'm optimistic that not all newbies :) But maybe that's just because I'm on a severe post ticket high

1 minute ago, phillyfaddle said:

I concur. Interestingly, the people who got through this time (2 groups) never normally come anywhere close.

First time since 04 I've not bought my own ticket. Discounting the epic fail in 2013 when exactly the same thing happened: the reg page and/or payment page would NOT proceed. Thought they'd sorted that glitch out.

Same though - the girl that secured 12 of our tickets had never got anywhere before when she has tried. 

It is usually only a one way street on being more popular and hence more people attenmpting to attend.  Best UK summer in most peoples lifetimes, a fallow year, those increase popularity.  If there had been an utter mudbath or a shonky line up, those tend to supress the growth a little.

Seen a lot of people on social media who got tickets who I'm pretty sure have shown no interest in the past and who would be baffled by the inclusion of The Cure at the top of the lineup. Fair enough, everybody's gotta start going at some point, but it's disheartening to see so many regulars fail to get tickets at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Lots of our group got through only to fail when the payment didn't proceed. Four times in one guy's case.

3 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Lots of our group got through only to fail when the payment didn't proceed. Four times in one guy's case.

That is just cruel. In the olden times (2007-2011), if you got through to add your registration details, your tickets were pretty much in the bag. Then See changed the system for 2013.....I thought I'd sussed it now. Clearly not. But over the moon my friend came through for us. She's buzzing!

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

It doesn't necessarily mean a they're all new though - a lot could just be people that haven't been for a few years are keen. 2017 was so spectacular that I could imagine people being enticed back after hearing about it, and anyone that did go wouldn't have been put off (like they may have been after 2016!). So, I'm optimistic that not all newbies :) But maybe that's just because I'm on a severe post ticket high

What was so good about 2017 out of interest? 

I went up until for three years up until 2015 and then decided to take a couple of years off.

lots of issues at the payment stage suggests to me lots more trying ... dont think ive ever had issues at that stage and I have got through at least 6 x .... numbers ramp up and up as people tell friends .. unfortunately the only thing that will stop that is the r word one year ... its a bloody bucket list thingy now unfortunately 

Yeah, I'm the one who has gotten through for the last 2 years... this year only 1 out of our 6 (a newbie) got through and secured our tickets on a phone on 4g. 

I think the popularity of festivals, in general, is growing internationally and glastonbury is typically looked at as the festival of the festivals. Its just going to get more difficult. 

All theories are going to be conjecture. Every year is just going to get more popular. Now people have more devices, there's going to be more traffic.  I think those are the only definites.

Next year is going to be worse.

April has always seemed a bit easier, but I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes equally troublesome. Fingers crossed for everyone!

It might not actually be more people trying, just the same amount of people trying on more and more devices.

Tickets are notoriously hard to get and getting harder to get all the time, this is cemented in peoples mind more and more and their approach to getting tickets intensifies. I know I had more devices and connections than ever before, but had no luck.

I don’t doubt that more people tried, but I’d be amazed if the people that did try didn’t try on more devices than ever before too.

That aside, Glastonbury is a snow ball. How many people can you think of that you know who having gone once didn’t want to go again?

I know each year I want to go more and more than I ever did before. Once most people go once they want to go again, on top of that you’ve got all the people who have never been trying as well.

The sad but realistic fact is It’s only going to get exponentially oversubscribed for the foreseeable future with the amount of tickets available likely to only remain broadly the same.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton