Local Ticket Sales 2018

wilem

30 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

But IIRC you can just register with the postcode of the house of the person who does live within the catchment and it's fine right? Just the ticket get's delivered to their house and they have to forward it on.

im sure the area used to be loads bigger but has shrunk with the massive levels of demand there days ....keep for the locals please 

13 minutes ago, LaurenEdwards93 said:

Fair enough! Can you recruit people from outside to help? I'm happy to help if you need

Yeah it's fairly identical set up to standard sales, all just about the postcode...

That would be great thanks a bunch!

My friends who needed to get tickets in the local sale having failed in the general sale last time were all sorted within 10 mins of them going on sale.

Ironically it's all of those who managed to get them in the general sale this year!

Got everything crossed it's as easy for me and the rest of the group who don't have tickets in a few weeks time.

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

im sure the area used to be loads bigger but has shrunk with the massive levels of demand there days ....keep for the locals please 

Yes....the catchment was reduced I think around 2007 partly due to the reconsideration that many original areas were not as impacted as others closer, and also in some part due to the abuse of the privilege which, being before photos on tickets, saw locals selling on tickets for a profit.  

Unfortunately Frome became a victim of this reduction and we lost the concession (not due to me flogging tickets I hasten to add...).  We are offered use of friends addresses who are still in the catchment every year, but morally we won't take up the offer, even this year when we failed in the main sale.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yes....the catchment was reduced I think around 2007 partly due to the reconsideration that many original areas were not as impacted as others closer, and also in some part due to the abuse of the privilege which, being before photos on tickets, saw locals selling on tickets for a profit.  

Unfortunately Frome became a victim of this reduction and we lost the concession (not due to me flogging tickets I hasten to add...).  We are offered use of friends addresses who are still in the catchment every year, but morally we won't take up the offer, even this year when we failed in the main sale.

I’m not sure there’s anyone on here (and there are so many good ‘uns) who so invariably posts helpful, kind, unselfish and just entirely ‘Glastonbury’ posts as you, @parsonjack.

I raise my hat to you, sir...

Ben x

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

I’m not sure there’s anyone on here (and there are so many good ‘uns) who so invariably posts helpful, kind, unselfish and just entirely ‘Glastonbury’ posts as you, @parsonjack.

I raise my hat to you, sir...

Ben x

Thankyou Ben....I assure you I'm most certainly not alone on here.  But thankyou again.

13 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I think even Taunton was allowed back in the day ... or maybe it was Bridgwater ?

As someone who lives very close to the festival can I just say anyone who gets a local ticket who isn't actually local and using someone else address is a complete piece of shite. It bugs the hell out of a lot of locals having people ask to use their address. I can't remember exact year but a few years ago my wife even had a friend of a friend of a friend message her randomly on fb asking could she register our address,the response was do one(albeit spelt less politely)

Do you not realize that you are potentially depriving a genuinely affected local by obtaining these tickets under false pretences ? It will get to a point where the (already reduced number) tickets will no longer be available because they are not going where they should. I know you're gagging to go but you need to understand locals get a chance at these extra tickets as a thank you for putting up with the disruption and if the genuine locals keep losing out because of your selfish actions then ultimately they will say F this and that will have a very real impact on the future of the greatest festival in the world.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

As someone who lives very close to the festival can I just say anyone who gets a local ticket who isn't actually local and using someone else address is a complete piece of shite. It bugs the hell out of a lot of locals having people ask to use their address. I can't remember exact year but a few years ago my wife even had a friend of a friend of a friend message her randomly on fb asking could she register our address,the response was do one(albeit spelt less politely)

Do you not realize that you are potentially depriving a genuinely affected local by obtaining these tickets under false pretences ? It will get to a point where the (already reduced number) tickets will no longer be available because they are not going where they should. I know you're gagging to go but you need to understand locals get a chance at these extra tickets as a thank you for putting up with the disruption and if the genuine locals keep losing out because of your selfish actions then ultimately they will say F this and that will have a very real impact on the future of the greatest festival in the world.

Piltonites get free tickets. All they have to do is apply for them.  I can understand them getting annoyed with people who want to use their address, however.  

2 minutes ago, scorp said:

Piltonites get free tickets. All they have to do is apply for them.  I can understand them getting annoyed with people who want to use their address, however.  

I live the very next village on and I know tons of people within a 5-10 mile radius who get "begging letters" asking to use their address. It'a just weird to me that some people think thats ok,would you let me,a total stranger,have a parcel delivered to your house? I do think this is something that should be clamped down on. Imo local tickets should be collected from the office with proof of Id and address for all recipients

15 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

In fairness to the depriving locals bit, that seems only recently to be the case. The local sale, rightly, always seemed a bit of a gimme  and I can't remember any locals who wanted one not getting them in the years I've gone until maybe last year? Thankfully I never had to use it for myself as was always sorted, but I have tried several years for local friends who do and despite sometimes taking ages in the phone year, we were always successful.

Because of this I guess the festival were a bit more relaxed about people playing the system and I'm 99% sure one year (can't remember the year, but since the 2012 fallow) they actually mentioned something about friends/family in the release in the paper.

However, you are right I guess, as I remember last year it seemed much more of a scramble, and with record demand this year and more cottoning on to how the sale works the wording definitely seems stricter this time around.

12 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I live the very next village on and I know tons of people within a 5-10 mile radius who get "begging letters" asking to use their address. It'a just weird to me that some people think thats ok,would you let me,a total stranger,have a parcel delivered to your house? I do think this is something that should be clamped down on. Imo local tickets should be collected from the office with proof of Id and address for all recipients

I guess though that until now everyone has generally got sorted so they haven't really felt the need to do much about it? This may change and I wouldn't be surprised to see the rules change a bit ahead of next year. They've already moved the sale forward

Unfortunately I can definitely see the local sale being abused this year. In order to protect the current process maybe they should only sell these tickets over the counter from the office in Glastonbury town like they do with the Pilton Party tickets but in this instance the purchaser(s) would need to be a) registered and b) provide photo ID with an address on, like a driver's licence. 

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

In fairness to the depriving locals bit, that seems only recently to be the case. The local sale, rightly, always seemed a bit of a gimme  and I can't remember any locals who wanted one not getting them in the years I've gone until maybe last year? Thankfully I never had to use it for myself as was always sorted, but I have tried several years for local friends who do and despite sometimes taking ages in the phone year, we were always successful.

Because of this I guess the festival were a bit more relaxed about people playing the system and I'm 99% sure one year (can't remember the year, but since the 2012 fallow) they actually mentioned something about friends/family in the release in the paper.

However, you are right I guess, as I remember last year it seemed much more of a scramble, and with record demand this year and more cottoning on to how the sale works the wording definitely seems stricter this time around.

Oh yeah your definitely right it is a more recent problem. I've only used it twice,once when was telephone(think was even day after they were released and sorted easy) then a few years ago online and was relatively painless. I know people who tried last time and had terrible trouble and eventually couldn't get any as sold out,I know we have had some new houses built round here recently but not enough to outstrip the supply quite so heavily. Just off the very top of my head I know at least 40-50 people that at some point have been asked about getting tickets for someone else. Trust me on this but always around Sept/or at fest itself, if you happen to say where your from to someone a lot of times this comes up and and inevitably the subject of "oh so you can get local tickets,might have to use your address next time,we had terrible trouble getting them this year" 

13 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

I guess though that until now everyone has generally got sorted so they haven't really felt the need to do much about it? This may change and I wouldn't be surprised to see the rules change a bit ahead of next year. They've already moved the sale forward

I totally get the motivation for doing it but ultimately it's tough luck,those tickets should be kept exclusively for locals and people should respect that. I know it's shite missing out on a ticket for a gig I really want to be at(damn you ticket gods-pf Hyde park) but like I said the tickets are a thanks for putting up with the disruption,I won't bleet on about the disruption itself but it can be a real ball ache for locals that week and these tickets are a nice little sweetener. It will however potentially get to a point where genuine local supporters of the festival will really struggle to get the tickets and ultimately turn against it.