working at glasto

badsandwich

I had a great experience volunteering for Oxfam. Finished all shifts by Saturday lunch time although I had to go for a lie day down mid Saturday afternoon - sheer exhaustion having worked 24 hours since Wednesday and still trying to make the most of the festival! Bit of an endurance test unless you want to give up a bit more of your festival. Much better than staying at home though!

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I had a great experience volunteering for Oxfam. Finished all shifts by Saturday lunch time although I had to go for a lie day down mid Saturday afternoon - sheer exhaustion having worked 24 hours since Wednesday and still trying to make the most of the festival! Bit of an endurance test unless you want to give up a bit more of your festival. Much better than staying at home though!

Yes - it’s important to understand that it is hard!

One of the things that I underestimated is how hard a shift is when you go on duty late in the day - an evening or night shift when you have already been on your feet for a few hours enjoying your time off can be really hard! It’s definitely easier the other way round  - dong 8 hours on duty and then going off to enjoy yourself. The feet hurt less when they are having fun!

7 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

Is there any scope for working the festival and taking your kid with you? This is the first year in 14 years that we had a washout on ticket day, strangely enough I didn't feel as gutted as I feared I would but maybe that's just down to growing up a bit and having a bit more worldly wise perspective on things. The last 5 festivals, I've taken my boy with me, he was 4 for his first festival in 2013 so has really grown up with it, so we're still going to be trying everything we can to get there next year. Working the festival is something I've often thought'd be cool, but stewarding/litter picking might well not fly with a 10 year old in tow with me! Might there be opportunities in the Kidz Field or Green Fields for a father and son team though? Considering he's technically a festival veteran, my boy could actually do a good service working with kids there! ?

There is a couple of people I know that have done recycling crew with their children but always with their partner/spouse so as they could work different shifts to cover child care.

One option if your time off allows is to opt for the after festival shifts (which I don't believe you need to be a vetran in order to choose) and then do festival with your son and arrange if possible someone to come and pick him up and you stop down and do your shifts.

16 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

Cool, thank you both, that's good to know that it's at least feasible. I couldtalk to my wife and see if she would be game for volunteering, but she doesn't go to Glasto with us normally and it would mean also bringing our toddler, too, and he's bonkers so it'd make the whole thing a bit heavier going. If it was just me and my boy, he'd be pretty happy being cut loose to hang out in the Kidz Field while I do my shifts! ?

You could only really do that with litterpicking - you couldn't do an overnight Oxfam shift for example and leave him in the tent, well I wouldn't with a 10 year old anyway no matter how many times he has been to the site. I actually wouldnt trust my 10 year old to wake up on their own, get breakfast, sort themselves out etc until you had finished a litterpicking shift at 11-12 either. 

We have the same quandary every year - we would only consider bringing any of our children if one of us was working and one ticketed which is what we did the year our son came. 

On 10/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, Beerqueen said:

Coincidentally , I've just received this on twitter.  https://mycauseuk.com/charities/

Not exactly what you were after but maybe worth registering interest?

That's great thanks. As some of you know I have a granddaughter who's very ill in Southampton PICU. So I'm quite interested in this.. Maybe not for Glastonbury but for the smaller ones. 

We are actively raising money for these and since 5 o'clock last night my wife has raised over a grand.. Not to bad.. Got some amazing friends 

Shameless pug if you want to donate a pound 

https://www.facebook.com/donate/1852835268166944/10161097166495714/

6 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

That's great thanks. As some of you know I have a granddaughter who's very ill in Southampton PICU. So I'm quite interested in this.. Maybe not for Glastonbury but for the smaller ones. 

We are actively raising money for these and since 5 o'clock last night my wife has raised over a grand.. Not to bad.. Got some amazing friends/

https://www.facebook.com/donate/1852835268166944/10161097166495714/

Is there a way to do this if you're not on Farcebook? Says I have to log in?

15 hours ago, Jcatley said:

Yes I know that bit, I haven’t made my mind up one way or other to work or resale but will only pick the one. But I don’t think the deposit would put some people off using it as a back up! 

its all down to the T&C and some people may fork out £300 and then discover ' they are past their cancellation period ' or they can be hit with cancellation fees etc etc.  

then there is the hidden problems - a person who cancels may end up the year later without a place so its a very risky game and it could rumble on to other years.

anyone who wants to Volunteer should make their mind up now and go for it.

sure it can be hard work with long shifts but if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

No way would I go as a normal ticket holder. 

Some people who only become a Volunteer just because they could not get a ticket tend not to be as dependable and they tend not to stick with all their shifts and then they could end up not getting their deposit back.

In the WBC they don't take deposits but the Organisation they represent may get fined after the event if a Volunteer screw's up and as soon as that happens the person concerned will be dumped with no prospect of ever being in a WBC Team again - I have lost count of how many people in other Teams end up ' stuffing themselves '  

• Upvote 1