working at glasto

badsandwich

hello everyone, apologies if this has been covered before! 

like a lot of people i'm feeling a bit glum about missing out on tickets and i was just wondering if anyone knew of different ways you can work for a ticket? i'm happy to do bar work/litter picking (tho can't remember who you go through to apply for them either... haha), but the more arty/construction side of things is right up my alley and i was wondering if anyone had any info on that side of things ?

faaaaaanks x

I have worked 5 times on the recycling crew (litter picking and traders information). Next year I'll be back for my 6th year. I found it a good alternative way to get to the festival that avoids the scrum for tickets and is a cheaper way of getting there as you get your deposit back provided you do your shifts. 

Applications open in the new year but preference given to those that have worked previously and by all accounts I think it will be popular so not sure how many new people will be accepted. 

Fiona is the lady you need to contact. Here details are on the job section of the festival website (due to the ticket sales full website isn't accessible at the mo so can't post exact page)

5 hours ago, cb4747 said:

Hey I believe you can apply to be a bin painter although it’s extremely popular and you have to work the 2 weeks before the festival x

oh that'd be amazing - i'm freelance so don't have to worry about booking time off work and spending two weeks away doing that every day would be a dream!

thanks everyone for all the other messages, putting it all in a handy spreadsheet for future reference ?

16 hours ago, westholtschic said:

I've volunteered for FMS for the last 10 years and I have loved every minute being part of the festival and working for free there and at others. Would recommend it to anyone.

Festival Medical Services? If not, which FMS? Thanks.

Is there any scope for working the festival and taking your kid with you? This is the first year in 14 years that we had a washout on ticket day, strangely enough I didn't feel as gutted as I feared I would but maybe that's just down to growing up a bit and having a bit more worldly wise perspective on things. The last 5 festivals, I've taken my boy with me, he was 4 for his first festival in 2013 so has really grown up with it, so we're still going to be trying everything we can to get there next year. Working the festival is something I've often thought'd be cool, but stewarding/litter picking might well not fly with a 10 year old in tow with me! Might there be opportunities in the Kidz Field or Green Fields for a father and son team though? Considering he's technically a festival veteran, my boy could actually do a good service working with kids there! :-D

27 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

Is there any scope for working the festival and taking your kid with you? This is the first year in 14 years that we had a washout on ticket day, strangely enough I didn't feel as gutted as I feared I would but maybe that's just down to growing up a bit and having a bit more worldly wise perspective on things. The last 5 festivals, I've taken my boy with me, he was 4 for his first festival in 2013 so has really grown up with it, so we're still going to be trying everything we can to get there next year. Working the festival is something I've often thought'd be cool, but stewarding/litter picking might well not fly with a 10 year old in tow with me! Might there be opportunities in the Kidz Field or Green Fields for a father and son team though? Considering he's technically a festival veteran, my boy could actually do a good service working with kids there! ?

As Pinhead says if there's 2 of you then yes but you would have to split shifts and not see eachother at all or have someone on site who can look after them but litterpicking they would need looking after usually from about 5.30 in the morning and Oxfam is at least one overnight so it isnt easy.

Kidz Field and Green Fields are tight, well established groups where everyone knows eachother.

Cool, thank you both, that's good to know that it's at least feasible. I couldtalk to my wife and see if she would be game for volunteering, but she doesn't go to Glasto with us normally and it would mean also bringing our toddler, too, and he's bonkers so it'd make the whole thing a bit heavier going. If it was just me and my boy, he'd be pretty happy being cut loose to hang out in the Kidz Field while I do my shifts! ?

1 minute ago, marathonsteve said:

You have to pay a deposit 

Yes I know that bit, I haven’t made my mind up one way or other to work or resale but will only pick the one. But I don’t think the deposit would put some people off using it as a back up! 

2 hours ago, Jcatley said:

Interesting! I wonder how many people double book in hope of a resale ticket etc. 

Quite a few probably. I know that Oxfam usually get a few cancellations after the resale, and would imagine it happens to one degree or another with a lot of the other organisations on site especially those that recruit from the public.