Volunteering options

stardustjunkie

Realistically, the places go as quickly as the site is able to handle it.

In terms of filling in forms - for the initial application, the information required is minimal - it's just a case of selecting the Festival, the Role (steward/campaigner/shop), and the providing a credit/debit card number for the deposit. Everything else that you need to provide is done at a later date.

If the site copes with the demand, then that process should take no longer than 30 seconds. However - based on how it went when they opened priority applications this week that seems wildly optimistic - the site slowed to a crawl, and there was various errors and problems. Hopefully those issues are resolved by Tuesday, but right now I wouldn't expect it to be painless.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Does anyone know how much in demand the Oxfam places will be when they go live next week? Is it like ticket day level kind of mania? 

Only ask as I’m at work and won’t have long to fill in the forms. 

2017, the places went in about 20 minutes.  

To bag your place, all you really need is your personal details, and a payment card for the deposit.  The rest of the details are taken after you have paid and your place is held.

I'd also suggest that you think about doing a couple with them this year, so that you can get priority for next year - I have this, and it removes all the stress!

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:21 PM, MichaelsBeard said:

Does anyone know how much in demand the Oxfam places will be when they go live next week? Is it like ticket day level kind of mania? 

Only ask as I’m at work and won’t have long to fill in the forms. 

From my experience of priority applications last week, it could be ticket level madness.

Bearing in mind that everyone with priority knew they had a place whenever they go through over the last 7 days, and that there was a limited number of people with priority, it was amazing how difficult it was to get through!

On Tuesday there will be a limited number of places, for an unknown number of people.

I am sorry to say it probably needs ticket day levels of preparation! Be on it!

34 minutes ago, ledwards said:

Is it right that if they take payment then that means "you're in"? I applied for wateraid so won't be applying for oxfam, but going to help my partner.

For Oxfam, that's certainly the case, yes.

Can't speak for other groups.

• Upvote 1

Just wondering if the application for Shelter is the same as Oxfam, in regards to first come first served? Or more like water aid where you have so long to apply and they review them? 

I’ve applied for wateraid and that’s my preference, but I’m guessing the Shelter applications will be online before I find out from wateraid if I’ve got a place. 

Im not fussed about deposits etc. Just don’t wanna be a time waster to either of them :) 

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

In 2017 I went with Shelter and just like with Oxfam we were notified of a time to get signed up and you needed to be ready. It was shorter notice - I seem to remember being emailed on Friday to tell me sign up was at 10am Monday - that makes it more difficult to work around any work commitments. 

It was first come first served but I don’t remember it being too difficult. It may be more difficult this time because it seems that Oxfam was harder than it has been before. However, I am pretty sure that last time Shelter didn’t fill all their spots and there were some ‘professional’ agency bar staff taken on as well.

Shelter is 3x8 hour shifts too, but more of their shifts are on the main weekend because it is bar work rather than gate work. However - the ‘night’ shifts finish at 3am, with only Stonebridge being a 5am finish. Working in a bar til 3am (mostly) probably isn’t such a tough gig as standing on a gate til 6am.