Volunteering options

stardustjunkie

Sad day to not get tickets after 7 amazing festivals.

I have always wanted to experience volunteering, so now seems like a good a times as any..

I'm quite interested in bar work but can't find any information about how to volunteer for the bars? I have 8 years bar experience, and a personal licence, so would like to think I'm relatively desirable. 

I have also registered an interest in Oxfam volunteering.

Festaff is a no go - they only allow previous volunteers to come to Glastonbury.

Any other charities or companies?

Thanks

For Bars, the 3 groups you'll probably want to be aware of -

WBC are the biggest, they recruit from WBC teams around the country and from what I understand competition for places is quite fierce

Avalon are the next biggest, they recruit from the public via Shelter

Refresh West also recruit publicly, but only have a couple bars.

Aside from that, for the other providers I think it's mostly a case of needing to know someone.

4 hours ago, incident said:

For Bars, the 3 groups you'll probably want to be aware of -

WBC are the biggest, they recruit from WBC teams around the country and from what I understand competition for places is quite fierce

Avalon are the next biggest, they recruit from the public via Shelter

Refresh West also recruit publicly, but only have a couple bars.

Aside from that, for the other providers I think it's mostly a case of needing to know someone.

Thank you!

I’ll check out the Refresh West, as it seems Shelter are full already (although I might drop them an email to see if they need any DPS or licence holders).

I may also be able to go as a carer or with a press pass. Time will tell

I suspect that most "full" messages you see and definitely that one are regarding the 2017 festival - aside from the Recycling Crew, who seem to get it sorted a long way ahead of everyone else (and are reportedly already full for 2019), most other places that recruit volunteers won't do so until early next year - I'd keep an eye out around January to March and sometimes even later.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, stardustjunkie said:

Thank you!

I’ll check out the Refresh West, as it seems Shelter are full already (although I might drop them an email to see if they need any DPS or licence holders).

I may also be able to go as a carer or with a press pass. Time will tell

I would doubt that - Avalon/shelter tend to recruit close to February/March 2019 so what your seeing is a old page 

Avalon/shelter will contact Previous Volunteers either December 2018 or January 2019 and then they # open up a public area #

be aware ' shelter don't ask if you hold a personal licence ' nor do they ask for experience in that public area.

when the public area opens ' you have to be fast ' - after a few hours there will be a ' join the waiting list ' 

there is at least 6 posters from efest who regular work for Avalon so they may be able to give you a date if they spot your post.

Previous deposit was £300 which may have gone up.

once you get a foot in the Door Avalon may offer you a paid job as long as your personal licence is current. 

so all is not lost.

23 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I will keep an eye on this thread. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

you have to look in /chat - I checked up and I know that site { please note they change the address for shelter/avalon page } went live close to 14 Feb 2015 

so to be safe start looking at the end of January on efest and also FB  

https://www.facebook.com/ShelterUK/

and Twitter or drop them a e-mail Info@shelter.org.uk as they may let you know when its due to go live.

24 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

you have to look in /chat - I checked up and I know that site { please note they change the address for shelter/avalon page } went live close to 14 Feb 2015 

so to be safe start looking at the end of January on efest and also FB  

https://www.facebook.com/ShelterUK/

and Twitter or drop them a e-mail Info@shelter.org.uk as they may let you know when its due to go live.

Thank you for that ?

2 hours ago, stardustjunkie said:

Thanks glasto-worker :)

Theres hope still! And they probably need some DPS or licence holders so it’s always worth mentioning. 

There will always be 1 and in most cases 2 personal licence holders in each of the WBC and Avalon Bars on any shift unlike some other festival bar operators who may chance their arm.

Just like the WBC Avalon will tend to use the same Management team each year but they will always be on the look out for new personal licence holders but Shelter will mainly concentrate on Volunteer Servers.

Once onsite Avalon takes over so if you get a place just grab the oldest Bar Manager and its likely he/she will be a Director and they will be very interested.

Avalon is run by people who were previous in the WBC but there was a big split many years ago so even although I have never worked for Avalon I know all the Directors - its run the same way apart from one thing - the WBC uses Volunteer Teams and they don't recruit directly from the Public where Avalon has always remained with Shelter. 

bizarrely Avalon a few years ago Crew Site was moved and they are now using the same crew site that the WBC used to use in 1986  - I am sure that is one of Michael Eavis little jokes.

There is other Bar Operators who come and go so quick - if you blink you will miss them but they tend to have longer shift hours and I would never consider working for any of them. 

---------

I also tried out being a Oxfam Volunteer this year just to see what its like as they have a jam packed season - as far as I know their Glastonbury Volunteer's places go very fast but I have Priority access for next year but I am more useful with the WBC at Glasto but will pick other events as it was good fun.

so send a e-mail to Shelter and they will let you now when recruitment starts. 

Edited by glasto-worker
Make it tidy

On 10/7/2018 at 10:55 PM, marathonsteve said:

You will have to attend an Induction course for Shelter 3 hours long . They are spread throughout the country. They will take you down and bring you back by coach. You will only be told your shifts on the way down to Glastonbury.

I've worked with Shelter a couple of times (2011 at the cider bar inbetween The other Stage and the pyramid and 2014 at the meeting place bar) and every time its been a blast.  

I wouldn't even call it work, the shifts fly by and everyone I worked with was sound as. 

The crew camping they had a few years ago was pretty sweet.  It wasn't too far out of the site and having a shower is a nice luxury, even if it is heresy.

One of the things I loved most was getting there on the Tuesday and being able to spend tuesday evening / night exploring Glastonbury as they are putting the finishing touches to the place.  That and if you want to move into the main site and camp with your friends, you're close to the gates and have a magical Easy Pass Out wristband so can get straight in and set up with little drama.

Working it does mean you may miss out on a few acts but the important thing is that you are there and you will get to experience a different side of Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Just applied for two volunteering options today. I booked a holiday to the Philippines over resale dates (I ideally wanted to maximise my annual leave going across Easter & the May bank holiday)

So that's me definitely working it! Crossing all my fingers and toes I get a place.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, ledwards said:

Just applied for two volunteering options today. I booked a holiday to the Philippines over resale dates (I ideally wanted to maximise my annual leave going across Easter & the May bank holiday)

So that's me definitely working it! Crossing all my fingers and toes I get a place.

you don't state the terms and conditions { as they are all different } but applying for two volunteer jobs at the same time may not be the smartest move just in case your picked by both as you will have to pull out of one and that may affect things in the future if they keep a list of people who has pulled out.

You need to look at things ' from their side ' and even if they don't ask for any up front fee there is always a cost in processing applications - so they are not going to be all that pleased if you apply and then pull out at a later stage.I allocate places for my Team and if someone tells me they want to do such and such a festival and then later on pull out they better have a bloody good excuse as I will drop them if they don't ' and they all know that ' - so I hope you only get one offer.

I know that some people may be tempted to apply for anything that moves but its better not to take any chances as the people processing the applications for 2019 will be the same people 
processing the applications for 2020. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

you don't state the terms and conditions { as they are all different } but applying for two volunteer jobs at the same time may not be the smartest move just in case your picked by both as you will have to pull out of one and that may affect things in the future if they keep a list of people who has pulled out.

You need to look at things ' from their side ' and even if they don't ask for any up front fee there is always a cost in processing applications - so they are not going to be all that pleased if you apply and then pull out at a later stage.I allocate places for my Team and if someone tells me they want to do such and such a festival and then later on pull out they better have a bloody good excuse as I will drop them if they don't ' and they all know that ' - so I hope you only get one offer.

I know that some people may be tempted to apply for anything that moves but its better not to take any chances as the people processing the applications for 2019 will be the same people 
processing the applications for 2020. 

Understood. My reasoning behind applying for two were that I was told recycling was a very slim chance as I couldn't be recommended so I applied for WaterAid too. 

23 hours ago, ledwards said:

Understood. My reasoning behind applying for two were that I was told recycling was a very slim chance as I couldn't be recommended so I applied for WaterAid too. 

yes that makes sense - you should find out by the end of March from WaterAid

A few years ago someone was posting who had applied for 3 different volunteer jobs ' where he had to pay a up front deposit for each ' - sounds crazy but he was willing to lose two of the deposits just so he could pick the best offer - apart from anything else ' his actions could have prevented a genuine volunteer # as it turned out he bought a ticket in the resale # so really was not a genuine volunteer in the first place .

The best of British luck - by the way if you intend to go via Castle Cary Train Station on the Tuesday - you may be lucky as there is a Volunteer shuttle bus { I think its for Oxfam } - say 1 per hour { or close }  and if they have space ' they may give you a lift ' - have never used it myself as the WBC has London Coaches direct to the site but I have met other Volunteers who chanced their arm and they got a lift - if you don't ask you wont get.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:32 AM, glasto-worker said:

yes that makes sense - you should find out by the end of March from WaterAid

A few years ago someone was posting who had applied for 3 different volunteer jobs ' where he had to pay a up front deposit for each ' - sounds crazy but he was willing to lose two of the deposits just so he could pick the best offer - apart from anything else ' his actions could have prevented a genuine volunteer # as it turned out he bought a ticket in the resale # so really was not a genuine volunteer in the first place .

The best of British luck - by the way if you intend to go via Castle Cary Train Station on the Tuesday - you may be lucky as there is a Volunteer shuttle bus { I think its for Oxfam } - say 1 per hour { or close }  and if they have space ' they may give you a lift ' - have never used it myself as the WBC has London Coaches direct to the site but I have met other Volunteers who chanced their arm and they got a lift - if you don't ask you wont get.

I thought the Tuesday bus from Castle Cary was for all volunteer crew generally - I got on it with no questions last time! 

8 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

I thought the Tuesday bus from Castle Cary was for all volunteer crew generally - I got on it with no questions last time! 

if you hang about there can be all sorts of transport show up - depending on how many is there ' and what shows up ' may prompt questions - I believe Oxfam tends to use a minibus { say 9 or 10 seats } - I know some people who hired a taxi even although they did spot others waiting - they just did not speak to each other so never found out what was going on.It all hinges on - how many seats are available as to if they will filter the queue or not.

The official festival shuttle from Castle Cary runs (or at least, did in 2015 and I don't think has changed) from the Saturday before the Festival through to the Tuesday after, albeit on reduced hours and frequency compared to the public days.

Any Oxfam (or any other group-specific) service is likely to go direct to the Oxfam campsite and so may not be appropriate for other staff who may need to arrive at a particular gate - if you're unsure, best just to wait for the regular shuttle to Gate A.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, incident said:

The official festival shuttle from Castle Cary runs (or at least, did in 2015 and I don't think has changed) from the Saturday before the Festival through to the Tuesday after, albeit on reduced hours and frequency compared to the public days.

Any Oxfam (or any other group-specific) service is likely to go direct to the Oxfam campsite and so may not be appropriate for other staff who may need to arrive at a particular gate - if you're unsure, best just to wait for the regular shuttle to Gate A.

That may have been true in the past but in 2017 GFL ' changed the security check point procedure' and crew coaches and minibuses had a extra security check - I was in ICU { Royal free hospital } Glasto week so I missed it so I am only repeating what was reported back to me - Normally WBC Coaches will have a ID check but people are not asked off the Coach but in 2017 - they all had to get out and collect their Bags and their bags were searched by Security - must have taken ages.

So sadly the days of just being waved though have ended - If anyone gets a lift - official or unofficial - all they have to do is ask them to stop ' where they wish to get off '  but I suspect whatever the transport is ' they will have to stop anyway '

On 10/7/2018 at 7:55 PM, stardustjunkie said:

Thanks glasto-worker :)

Theres hope still! And they probably need some DPS or licence holders so it’s always worth mentioning. 

Just in case you missed it 

the Shelter/avalon 2019 'Register your interest page' is live

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

--------------

Oxfam will be opening their priority volunteer applications on 5th February at 11 am

Oxfam will be opening their public volunteer applications on 12th February 2019

but people who are doing it for the first time can join their mailing list

On 1/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, incident said:

Yup - WBC (and some others) were dropping off at the compound near VG5 in 2017, a short walk to PGA (the NW corner).  Oxfam mini-bus was dropping off at their campsite, about 5 mins walk outside PGB (The NE corner).  And if you haven't at that point got your wristband, its a serious walk around the outside of the site.

2 hours ago, jfaragher said:

And if you haven't at that point got your wristband, its a serious walk around the outside of the site.

As someone who has had to do that march a good few times, I can confirm it is a bastard.  If you're lucky/charming enough, the stewards/security may let you take a few naughty short cuts and considerably reduce the distance