Teachers? Time off?

JGP

So now I've managed to get tickets for 2019 (yay) I'm a bit worried about getting any time off.

In my previous Glastonburys I've been a student so it was really easy to go for the full Wednesday-Monday but now I'm a teacher and we obviously can't take any time off unless it gets approved by the head. Holidays are usually a no-go.

My head usually gives time off to people for their kids' school plays and sports days and things like that but not for holidays - although she did grant someone a day off for Glastonbury a few years ago as it was for her 40th birthday.

Have any other teachers had success in booking time off for Glastonbury or another festival?

I'd be driving down from Leeds so even if I left Friday straight from work I'd arrive at about 7pm and then wouldn't be back on Monday morning until about 5am dependent on traffic and assuming I left after Sunday's headliner.

Also: Pulling a few sickies isn't an option, colleagues know I love Glastonbury and it will be far too obvious.

I've been every year since 2007 and have been creative over the years. As a secondary teacher probably easier to get off and many times managed to get Friday off, so travelled Thursday night. Most Sunday nights i did not sleep and managed to get through Mondays but found after school meetings a pain. I've 'visited' universities when my daughter was in the sixth form, attended my sisters 60th birthday (her birthday is actually 25th June), etc. I retired in the summer and ironically did not manage to get a ticket today, the first year I dont need an excuse! But as I have volunteered for Oxfam in the last two years i will be able to work for them in 2019. so i will still be there.

I am an NQT on supply waiting for a job to come up, got tickets today and this logistical nightmare has honestly made me think about just doing supply until next school year. One teacher I know managed to get a Friday afternoon off to go up north!

Copied from Glasto FB page:

I went to Head, asked. Told that, if I could convince Governing body, I could have it unpaid. Did a 5 min presentation to Govs with clips and footage and spiel about how the experience made me a better teacher / human. Tears were shed (not mine). I went every year thereafter on unpaid leave. ONCE had to do Friday to Monday (Ofsted). 
Then changed school. Refused to work it so resigned and went on supply for the Summer term (same school) so I could say I was unavailable for those days. 
Via same agency, explained situation at start of year. Got it (and Bearded Theory) written into contract each year.
Finally - started own education project with a friend where it was never even questioned that I'd go.