2019 TICKET CHAT

bsolxiv

7 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

So, after weeks of planning, spreadsheets and the frustration of a glitchy booking page in Thursday's sale, lucky me somehow got in on Sunday and (after the standard white page of doom/ enter details/ crash/ backup/ proceed x several attempts/ card refused/ 2nd card accepted) managed to get 6 tickets for our group. I've had the email confirmation and checked on the Seetickets website, it's all confirmed. 

BUT no money taken yet. Should I be worried? Don't think it's ever taken this long before... There are adequate funds and I've had confirmation - they couldn't renege on it at this stage could they?

Maybe email see tickets just to check? 

11 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

So, after weeks of planning, spreadsheets and the frustration of a glitchy booking page in Thursday's sale, lucky me somehow got in on Sunday and (after the standard white page of doom/ enter details/ crash/ backup/ proceed x several attempts/ card refused/ 2nd card accepted) managed to get 6 tickets for our group. I've had the email confirmation and checked on the Seetickets website, it's all confirmed. 

BUT no money taken yet. Should I be worried? Don't think it's ever taken this long before... There are adequate funds and I've had confirmation - they couldn't renege on it at this stage could they?

Money hasnt left me yet either. It is pending though.

• Like 1

I'm going to put it out there that a much larger amount of people than we expect take the 20 seconds refresh message as an instruction to wait and don't actually try anywhere near as much as they could.

One of my friends popped up on WhatsApp at 9.02 to that end saying why do we need to refresh it says it'll do it every 20 secs (i obviously ignored him til I got in). His girlfriend replied (who was sat next to him) telling him to just do it. So people aren't completely focused 

There was also a lot of Twitter moaning during the sale I noticed from the times of some tweets 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm going to put it out there that a much larger amount of people than we expect take the 20 seconds refresh message as an instruction to wait and don't actually try anywhere near as much as they could.

One of my friends popped up on WhatsApp at 9.02 to that end saying why do we need to refresh it says it'll do it every 20 secs (i obviously ignored him til I got in). His girlfriend replied (who was sat next to him) telling him to just do it. So people aren't completely focused

Surely though, basic logic dictates that 1 or 2 seconds is better than 20 in that scenario.. People confuse me.

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Money hasnt left me yet either. It is pending though.

Thanks that's reassuring. And it made me check my bank account more closely - mine doesn't actually list pending transactions BUT noticed my available funds is £309 less than it should be, so that's presumably it, plus another small transaction that hasn't cleared. 

Relaxing a bit now!

• Upvote 1

Just be glad Ticketmaster/Livenation don't do the sale, at 9:02 they'd be sold out but available on SeatWave/GetMeIn for 10* the price...

If you resign yourself to the fact that the holding page and pressing F5 is just a completely random lottery for getting into the booking page and not a real queue at all. The biggest issue I have is that once you get there it should be stable.

Keying in your details and clicking proceed should work, filling in your card details and clicking "Buy Tickets" should work.

I had both pages crash multiple times before managing to secure tickets - by which time I couldn't remember if I'd keyed my CVV in correctly. Feeling sick was the order of the day - only when another member of the group said all the reg numbers had been used did I finally relax.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

It's pure luck. I had multiple devices, incognito windows, varied Internet sources and didn't get a sniff. Can you enlighten me to how to do it better? Genuine question, not sarky...

Incognito tabs, multiple tabs and multiple browsers on the same machine are useless because you're dealing with a dynamic throttle on the Seetickets gateway that tracks your external IP.  The throttle doesn't care what you use. Someone said the permitted rate is around 60 per min but it's more like 40 generally. Faster than that and you'll hit a quarantine page that looks like a landing page (so you don't even know).  The rate you hit this quarantine page depends how much over you are. It's pretty forgiving if you go over a bit, but if you refresh REALLY quickly, like 5 times a second, then you'll reduce your chances to pretty much 0.  You might be thinking "but no one refreshes THAT quickly" ... but remember the throttle works on your external IP.  What if you have 3 machines on your home Wi-Fi and they're all refreshing twice a second and happen to be pointing at the same glasto gateway IP  ... the throttle sees 6 refreshes a second and all machines suffer.

The above is relevant but overshadowed by the main issue this year; packet drops causing browser time outs due to demand.

25 minutes ago, Bradders said:

3 of us all sat on our own laptops on the same WiFi refreshing as fast as we could and each got through once, so I’m not sure how well your theory holds up.

" ... and happen to be pointing at the same glasto gateway IP " There are 4 Glasto IPs you pick up randomly in DNS

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'd be surprised if that's a factor any more. F5 isn't really a trade secret these days.

9 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

Thanks that's reassuring. And it made me check my bank account more closely - mine doesn't actually list pending transactions BUT noticed my available funds is £309 less than it should be, so that's presumably it, plus another small transaction that hasn't cleared. 

Relaxing a bit now!

Mine doesn't list the pending tranactions either, but I had £300 to come out & it could only have been that.... as an update...

I have woken up this morning & the money has now left my account.

13 hours ago, Field of Avalon said:

Just some advice needed, please. My daughter's friend at Uni got through for us about 9.10. She negotiated the reg number page fine but had to go back on it as she didn't put her reg in correct Got to the payment page fine and filled out my card details all correct but when she pressed buy tickets it crashed. Over the phone, my daughter and I were telling her to press the backspace which she did and got the reg page back up. She managed to get back on the payment page again but then it just crashed again and that was that after many times pressing the back and refresh button. My question is after the first crash would she have been better to have refreshed rather than press the back button?  

This happened to me - payment page barfed first time. In panic mode I pressed refresh thinking that refreshing the payment submission would work; I then shouted fucking hell, you knob (which I think was critical to the process), pressed the back button twice and got back to the now empty registration page. Re-filled and payment worked that time around.

It's an utterly random process, I don't think any sequence of events or actions guarantee success. Basically, there are packets of data flying about and browsers/servers catching or dropping them. If you're lucky the internet juggler works for you. If not, enough packets are dropped and there's no means of getting them back.

20 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm a consistently one-festival-a-year person, Sas. I struggle with the indulgence of doing more than that from a family perspective etc. The only exception to that was 2017 when I blooded Child 3 at Latitude for his first festival, in addition to me going to Glastonbury.

So, it's a no from me. Boomtown was extraordinary, though I only really 'got' it by the Saturday! I'd love to do it again, as I know I'd have even more of a good time. But, realistically, that ain't happening until a fallow year or *whispers* I don't get tickets to the big one...eek!

Ben

Aaah well, we'll have to get a cheeky techno rave in at Glastonbury then, won't we?

At this point, whilst on a massive high that we managed to secure all our 17 tickets, I am accepting that my luck is probably not going to hold for the big one. Although having said that, I've never got past the holding page. So maybe it will be my time!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Aaah well, we'll have to get a cheeky techno rave in at Glastonbury then, won't we?

At this point, whilst on a massive high that we managed to secure all our 17 tickets, I am accepting that my luck is probably not going to hold for the big one. Although having said that, I've never got past the holding page. So maybe it will be my time!

That we will, Sas - we've been threatening each other with it for years!!!

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with feeling so awkward and sad that so many people on here didn't get tickets. I really don't know what to make of it all. Whilst thrilled to be going, of course, I certainly do not feel in anyway that I can be celebratory (not that I would want to, demonstrably) on here about it, and it's clear that we really were so lucky as a group.

That said, my predominant thought is that our luck will run out and I am already thinking of how to max out the festival next year and appreciate every single moment. A mate in my group has, quite rightly, suggested that we treat every Glastonbury as if it is our last. This year's ticket day carnage shows that that's exactly what we should do. So, I'll be pouring over the techno line-up with even more obsession than usual! 

Ben

13 hours ago, Noble Skunk said:

Incognito tabs, multiple tabs and multiple browsers on the same machine are useless because you're dealing with a dynamic throttle on the Seetickets gateway that tracks your external IP.  The throttle doesn't care what you use. Someone said the permitted rate is around 60 per min but it's more like 40 generally. Faster than that and you'll hit a quarantine page that looks like a landing page (so you don't even know).  The rate you hit this quarantine page depends how much over you are. It's pretty forgiving if you go over a bit, but if you refresh REALLY quickly, like 5 times a second, then you'll reduce your chances to pretty much 0.  You might be thinking "but no one refreshes THAT quickly" ... but remember the throttle works on your external IP.  What if you have 3 machines on your home Wi-Fi and they're all refreshing twice a second and happen to be pointing at the same glasto gateway IP  ... the throttle sees 6 refreshes a second and all machines suffer.

The above is relevant but overshadowed by the main issue this year; packet drops causing browser time outs due to demand.

I also think people seem to forget that sometimes the blame lies with the ISP - I don't think they can deal with the traffic going through their own infrastructure at times.

51 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

That we will, Sas - we've been threatening each other with it for years!!!

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with feeling so awkward and sad that so many people on here didn't get tickets. I really don't know what to make of it all. Whilst thrilled to be going, of course, I certainly do not feel in anyway that I can be celebratory (not that I would want to, demonstrably) on here about it, and it's clear that we really were so lucky as a group.

That said, my predominant thought is that our luck will run out and I am already thinking of how to max out the festival next year and appreciate every single moment. A mate in my group has, quite rightly, suggested that we treat every Glastonbury as if it is our last. This year's ticket day carnage shows that that's exactly what we should do. So, I'll be pouring over the techno line-up with even more obsession than usual! 

Ben

Yeh, it's made for pretty savage reading over the last few days. My group were trying for Tommy101, but were just unable to get the payment to go through :( I have some hope for the resale though - mostly because although demand may have been super high this year, I think a lot of new people especially won't be bothered to try in April as they book in more summer plans, other festivals, a maddening amount of weddings etc etc. And my friends have had success there before (one of them got to the booking page with TWO refreshes in 2014! Jammy git).

And you're totally right - treat it as our last. As even if we do get in again, I have a feeling it's going to be almost impossible to get a big group secured. Although, maybe some biblical rain in 2019 will sort us all out :lol:

14 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd be surprised if that's a factor any more. F5 isn't really a trade secret these days.

Despite being told multiple times about the need to refresh your little heart out (but maybe/maybenot less than once a second), once they were at the holding page (after a few crashes and general slowness), the two newbies in our group still both sent whatsapp's asking if they should continue to press F5....and sent screenshots of the holding page to check, despite me also telling them not to clog the WhatsApp up with drivel

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Despite being told multiple times about the need to refresh your little heart out (but maybe/maybenot less than once a second), once they were at the holding page (after a few crashes and general slowness), the two newbies in our group still both sent whatsapp's asking if they should continue to press F5....and sent screenshots of the holding page to check, despite me also telling them not to clog the WhatsApp up with drivel

I hope they opened their front door later that day to this sight?

tumblr_nd1v14JlgY1t0demio6_500.gif