2019 TICKET CHAT

bsolxiv

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so being totally ignorant ... what do these things cost ?

It entirely depends on what the contact is to be honest so no idea but every aspect of the infrastructure has an on-going cost.

At a base level, cloud servers are 'rented' on a per hour basis. You want a basic webserver? It'll be £x per hour it's running. If you need more memory, it's £x per GB RAM added. Similarly with processors. The cost models even charge per MB of data transmitted

I think See use AWS (Amazon) and probably a dedicated hosts- https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/dedicated-hosts/pricing/

"Pricing is per instance-hour consumed for each instance, from the time an instance is launched until it is terminated or stopped"

"The pricing below is based on data transferred "in" to and "out" of Amazon EC2. "

Without knowing the scale of the infrastructure, it's hard to gauge how much is costs. But the long established rule of thumb is 'Enterprise scale IT is not cheap'

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

People would start queuing days beforehand, so it would still advantage folk who'd have lots of holiday days and be capable of spending nights out on the streets in all weather.

It's not really any different then the people who normally work Sundays having to take it off yesterday and potential more time off for resale attempt

1 hour ago, robalotalob said:

A fairer system would be for everyone to go into a pool until a maximum figure was reached, then applicants picked out at random from the pool.

Might be a bit dangerous, would also penalise non swimmers. 

Charm x

148qltt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Another supplier? There are very few with the capacity to sell tickets on GF's scale. They are all businesses at the end of the day and will have a minimum fixed price offer (which I suspect is what GF currently have). There comes a point where they can't make it any lower. IT has a lot of fixed costs and isn't cheap.

And of the ones that do have the capacity - back when the photo system was introduced 11ish years ago, it was said that one of the reasons they didn't go with Ticketmaster was because their systems were too inflexible to cope.

1 minute ago, incident said:

And of the ones that do have the capacity - back when the photo system was introduced 11ish years ago, it was said that one of the reasons they didn't go with Ticketmaster was because their systems were too inflexible to cope.

Good point. I'd forgot about GF's unique ticketing system with photo's.

Just now, glastolover19 said:

Care to elaborate?

It's your point I'm refuting there, it's not for me to elaborate. Who are the masses in this scenario? More people have an internet connection than love near a record shop. More people are able to take an hour on Sunday morning off than potentially all of Sunday and all of Saturday, then factor in babysitters, transport costs, physical ability to stand out in a queue for fucking ages. What about people who are abroad? 

Other than that, it's just a stupid, unworkable idea. The record shops would need loads of staff to cope with it. There'd be the issue of distributing the tickets to all the shops, how many to each shop, how many will go "missing" in the process, how the hell are you going to print everybody's picture on the tickets to prevent touting? It'd take fucking ages to process all those people in a shop, they could have to stay open all night to do it. Then there's safety issues of having masses of people queueing up and stampeding for tickets.

The current system shifts 150k tickets in half an hour without people having to drag themselves anywhere. Introducing a way more complicated system to reward some made up notion of who is deserving is a completely pointless and massively expensive pain in the arse.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Then you don't appreciate the co-ordinated action and effort that goes in to ensure you have a well drilled and efficient operation of a big group trying for tickets. It's not just about 20-30 all trying at 9am. My groups preparation starts a few weeks before the actual sale time.

THIS!!!! It's not an easy task and a lot of effort goes into it. We aren't always succesful but a lot of effort is put in

We've got so many threads now about how the ticketing system needs to be changed. I know it sucks to not get tickets, I've been on that side of the fence more times than I've been on this side, and I feel for you all. But surely you can all see that shifting the tickets in half an hour, with nobody really having any distinct advantage over anybody else, at a time in the week where statically the fewest people will be occupied by work, with a small and reasonable effort barrier in place, is a broadly successful system. People being kicked off the payment page is pretty poor and massively frustrating, and I'd like to see that stuff fixed. But ultimately the system works and it's pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

The way I work out which of my friends 'deserve' me trying for them, or putting them on my batch is quite simple. Are they trying for tickets themselves? If so, I'll try for them. They want to go, so they deserve to. Simple as that. Will not however, under any circumstances, try for people who make no effort and aren't arsed whereas I imagine lots of people throw their mates on and get them in on it when they're more or less indifferent to the idea.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's your point I'm refuting there, it's not for me to elaborate. Who are the masses in this scenario? More people have an internet connection than love near a record shop. More people are able to take an hour on Sunday morning off than potentially all of Sunday and all of Saturday, then factor in babysitters, transport costs, physical ability to stand out in a queue for fucking ages. What about people who are abroad? 

Other than that, it's just a stupid, unworkable idea. The record shops would need loads of staff to cope with it. There'd be the issue of distributing the tickets to all the shops, how many to each shop, how many will go "missing" in the process, how the hell are you going to print everybody's picture on the tickets to prevent touting? It'd take fucking ages to process all those people in a shop, they could have to stay open all night to do it. Then there's safety issues of having masses of people queueing up and stampeding for tickets.

The current system shifts 150k tickets in half an hour without people having to drag themselves anywhere. Introducing a way more complicated system to reward some made up notion of who is deserving is a completely pointless and massively expensive pain in the arse.

The reason I asked you to elaborate is because usually if someone disagrees with something then they should offer an alternative instead of just shooting it down,that's the general idea of discussions. Also I never said buying tickets from a shop is the perfect solution personally,I did also explain earlier it's not possible because of photo tickets. Personally I favour a ballot/lotto approach. Don't get me wrong no system is perfect,never going to happen but there surely is alternative ways that could improve the current way.

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We've got so many threads now about how the ticketing system needs to be changed. I know it sucks to not get tickets, I've been on that side of the fence more times than I've been on this side, and I feel for you all. But surely you can all see that shifting the tickets in half an hour, with nobody really having any distinct advantage over anybody else, at a time in the week where statically the fewest people will be occupied by work, with a small and reasonable effort barrier in place, is a broadly successful system. People being kicked off the payment page is pretty poor and massively frustrating, and I'd like to see that stuff fixed. But ultimately the system works and it's pretty good.

Totally agree it's a successful system from a business point of view just think it also has a whole load of disadvantages

I think a ballot system would be awful, just been through a ballot with a college application for my daughter and it’s a horrible feeling knowing there’s nothing you can do to increase your chances of getting lucky, at least with the current system even if you fail you had some control over it. 

Nothing is going to change the fact that whatever system is used people will be disappointed as there’s never going be enough tickets to go around.

Charm x 

Edited by Charm
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Totally agree it's a successful system from a business point of view just think it also has a whole load of disadvantages

Although if the technical/capacity issues can be resolved, a lot fewer disadvantages than anything you've suggested as has been pointed out several times.

2 minutes ago, Charm said:

I think a ballot system would be awful, just been through a ballot with a college application for my daughter and it’s a horrible feeling knowing there’s nothing you can do to increase your chances of getting lucky, at least with the current system even if you fail you had some control over it. 

Nothing is going to change the fact that whatever system is used people will be disappointed as there’s never going be enough tickets to go around.

Charm x 

Bare in mind I was lucky to get a ticket yesterday so nothing is being said because I'm peed off about not getting one. I just find it unfair that your more likely to get a ticket now if you have x amount of devices connected to x amount of ip changers etc. It's really no different then the college you referenced saying right student a can apply 10 times but student b can only apply once,clearly that would be unfair

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

agreed. and it's not necessarily a competition of "who has the best internet/tech" as we've seen people get through to the ticket page successfully on a crappy old tablet or phone while macbooks didn't even get to the holding page. it's gutting to try and fail to get tickets but, barring the issues with people getting kicked off the ticket/payment pages, this is still one of the fairest systems for getting tickets for a major event.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

Although if the technical/capacity issues can be resolved, a lot fewer disadvantages than anything you've suggested as has been pointed out several times.

I agree with you,if the issues with the system were fixed/modified then it could be brilliant but as it stands now it's not. At no point have I said I have all the answers and I'm not deluded enough to think my ideas or opinions are perfect but I'm suggesting ideas that could help the whole process,which I think we can all agree is not perfect

I don't think it's fair that the same person can get through loads of times, when others don't even get a sniff at the booking page.   Maybe once you've got your 6 tickets, that IP address shouldn't be allowed back in again for that year.

Not that I'm bitter or anything x

The only change I'd consider to the established system would be to split out single and group bookings. The current system doesn't favour someone trying on their own compared to a group of 6 for example as the single person only has 1 booking opportunity and the group has 6. Of course there are nuances around that but broadly speaking the current sale marginally favours groups. I say marginally because in the bigger picture of hundreds of thousands trying, it's a statistically a marginal gain.

I wouldn't be against 10,000 tickets being available as 'single only' for example. Using the coach sale as an example, you can choose Wednesday or Thursday so it wouldn't require too much effort to have the Sunday sale to have a 'Single ticket' option and a '2-6 tickets' option. At least then the single ticket people are not competing with groups for the same pool of 135,000 tickets.

That said, the coach sale is almost a single person sale in another name. I know you can buy 4 tickets but I don't think there are huge numbers going as a 'group' for the coach sale particularly as you cannot mix departure points.

Couple of quick questions and apologies if they've been answered before.

1. Can you still purchase up to 6 tix in the resale, but require the full amount for each ticket?

2. What about Campervan tickets in the resale? We've a deposit paid for a campervan. IF we were lucky, would we most likely have to go to one of the alternative carparks?

My two cents - 

A single entry ballot system would be the fairest approach - everyone would have the same chance of getting a ticket, slightly increased if it allows for groups to be in the lottery.

However, 

This would need significant management to make sure it wasn't exploited - for a start, photos on all tickets would need to be checked against all tickets to avoid duplicate entries attached to different addresses in different names. Anyone want that job?  

And, as @Charm says - a ballot means there is no way to increase your chance of going - which would mean fewer eFesters going, and more folks at the festival who have entered the ballot on the off-chance. 

I can appreciate why many will argue this is the way it should be done - it is fairer to an entire population. 

The current approach allows you to "buy more lottery tickets" through preparation and clubbing together with mates. It seems like the system is now very difficult to exploit bar having more tries at getting through. Still no guarantee of getting a ticket, but you have a better chance than someone who forgot to check when the sale was (unlike in a lottery system).  

It's also difficult to exploit - multiple registrations don't really increase your chances of getting a ticket. 

I like the fact I have a slightly better chance of getting a ticket by being organised.  I also accept the fact that just being organised doesn't in any way guarantee a ticket. I don't deserve a ticket any more than Sam in the office - but I know I will get more squeezed out of those 5 days and give more back to the festival, than Sam would - the person who stated they would have left Adele to get back for cricket, and would enter a ballot but completely missed yesterday's sale. Is there another approach that is fairer and allows for more people to try for tickets at the same time, without asking them to spend a lot of money or give up a lot of time?? 

And whilst it would be ideal to change the current system so you never lose the holding page (like me), or lose the page after entering details (like me) - it wouldn't actually change the success rate from all those that were trying yesterday morning.  

• Upvote 1