Campervan tickets

windy_miller

4 hours ago, snailcheeks said:

Oh right amazing. Yeah because might be three of us and the van can only sleep two. I was thinking the pitch might be big enough. What’s all this chat about east versus west van sites? 

The stewards are supposed to keep gaps (fire lanes?) between each vehicle but they're generally OK with tents in between. We've had 2 vans together with 1-2 tents on several occasions with no bother. I think the chat on East and West is mainly about convenience of being able to get back to base depending on where you end up.

If you arrive late (Wednesday) in East and are near the back, I question how you can sleep with South East corner pumping away, if you’re not a late nights person?

Sunday is the day not night I’ll come home before sun rise, the bumpity-bumpity that I love doesn’t sound as appealing when you’re trying to get to sleep!

3 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

If you arrive late (Wednesday) in East and are near the back, I question how you can sleep with South East corner pumping away, if you’re not a late nights person?

We were in the part of East closest to the SE corner last time and it wasn't a problem.

The issue about arriving late in East is that you can end up 20 mins from the gate (although not necessarily as they don't always fill things up in a linear fashion). With West only being 2 fields, that's never an issue.

16 hours ago, snailcheeks said:

Oh right amazing. Yeah because might be three of us and the van can only sleep two. I was thinking the pitch might be big enough. What’s all this chat about east versus west van sites? 

When you go to park up, tell the steward you have an "awning" and need some extra space - that's code for putting up a tent or two (we've had 4 before now.

To make sure you have enough room, get one of your passengers to make sure the next van doesn't park too close (leap out and talk to them as they arrive. We had one occasion when we both needed "awnings" and hadn't left enough room.

I've now changed to camping on site (having lost our campervan) -  and it's fabulous. The only benefit of campervanning I miss is the Tuesday evening arrival and looking out over the site from on top of the hill of death.

So like, how bad exactly is the hill of death? We live at the top of a steep hill and wondering if it's much worse than walking home? Now i try to avoid our personal hill of death as much as possible but might have to start facing it to train. 

( We have another easier route to the house or the car)

19 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

So like, how bad exactly is the hill of death? We live at the top of a steep hill and wondering if it's much worse than walking home? Now i try to avoid our personal hill of death as much as possible but might have to start facing it to train. 

No hill is as bad as your hill!!! What field are you aiming for? Send me your details through 

32 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

If you've got to lug all your stuff up it on the Monday it's pretty horrific. But at the end of a day/night festivalling it's just a mild inconvenience (and worth it for the view).

22 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

If you've got to lug all your stuff up it on the Monday it's pretty horrific. But at the end of a day/night festivalling it's just a mild inconvenience (and worth it for the view).

What stuff would I be lugging on a Monday morning? The idea of the camper is to not have to lug but tootle. :D 

@Curlygirl we're going for East. xx

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

The only benefit of campervanning I miss is the Tuesday evening arrival and looking out over the site from on top of the hill of death.

As an old man my most important element is being able to go for a wee about 6 feet away, especially without putting muddy boots and socks on.  That and being able to hang wet clothes and coats up.  That was what truly finished me off with camping back in 2007.

Sitting in E21 at the top of the "hill of death" on Tuesday night having a smoke and a couple of beers while the sun goes down over the site is the best thing in the world - the anticipation of the gates being opened to let you in is electric.

A dry bed, cup of tea in the morning and having a dump on your own toilet - pleasures indeed if its a muddy one!

Edited by Penrhos

The Hill of Death is something you'll already know if you've ever used gate C. It's that muddy hill that you see some people walking up and down while the rest of the time the camp guards make you take a long walk round. 

It's a bugger to get up and down with your camping stuff, though as a campervanner at least you don't have to do that, even if you will have to make the trip more frequently 

16 hours ago, Swieve said:

Its a well established fact that the west fields are crap and that east is definitely best

I heard say that in the West that the stewards come round of a morning with bacon rolls and cups of tea..

in the East they have dogs and tazers..

West is definitely the safest bet.

1 minute ago, Curlygirl said:

Brill. Should make it easier!

Hope so, getting a tad nervous about getting a ticket. Couldn't manage camping again. I know it's normally fairly ok to nab a ticket once you're on the ball but interest seems to be more at the moment. Although maybe because I'm looking more intently. 

Just now, H.M.V said:

Hope so, getting a tad nervous about getting a ticket. Couldn't manage camping again. I know it's normally fairly ok to nab a ticket once you're on the ball but interest seems to be more at the moment. Although maybe because I'm looking more intently. 

With plenty of helpers we will get you one. I just hope I’m not working!

43 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

In 2016 for 2017 an initial shortage occurred due to people buying multiple passes as although it's limited to one per transaction, there is nothing to prevent friends who are helping buying duplicate passes. 

I alerted loads of people on here and in the Glssto Chat Softies Facebook group when passes became available. I don't think anyone missed out in the end.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, Swieve said:

I don't ever remember a frantic F5 session to get a camper ticket.

Maybe time has played a trick on me but I seem to recall it was easy enough providing you were there for the start of the sale.   

It was weird last time around. I bought four for four different people, one after the other (with their reg numbers) as they couldn't even get on the holding page - so it was an F5 session for them whilst I waltzed through. No idea why. 

Edited by hurdy

F5 - thrash-fest just like T-day and will sell out just as quickly.

Downside for us is due to work commitments we can't all get there at the same time so will have to get to booking page three times with different lead bookers, rather than one lead Booker getting three tickets!