What I learnt during the ticket sale.

alibear

Ok they have had this in place for years and I can assure that I have got past this holding page refrshing like mad as thats what we all did waiting for booking page to become available. People are taking this refresh situation to the extreme.  Why would see put on that page that you can manually refresh as you like it doesn't say don't hit f5 too much or you won't get past this screen.  I honestly believe there is no credence to this refresh rate it's a scare tactic to not overload servers

38 minutes ago, billum said:

This *might* be a red herring in 50 shades of gray - both crazyfool1 and I noticed the header disappear from the holding page last night in the coach sale, but we were both careful to not exceed the refresh limit, so my speculation was that the graphic was adding too much weight to the download and they dropped it

Did anyone else notice the header disappear about 10 mins into the coach sale?

Yes, I just assumed that they decided midway to remove any non essential stuff from the page to make it slightly more efficient

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iloveglasto said:

I know the official advice from Glastonbury is only having 1 tab open otherwise it could confuse the ticket booking process, however would this be true if you only have 1 tab open but on multiple browsers such as 1 x chrome, 1 x IE, 1 x edge?

The following advice isn't useful at all, as it could be utter bollocks, but I shall impart it anyway: I've always had more success by slipping in a few mins into the sale with a brand new browser window.

Last night I had around 8 separate incognito windows doing a 20 second refresh (though debatable that the refresh was even working tbh), but then closed them all and started a new one and walked straight into the sale.

2 minutes ago, MJP said:

The following advice isn't useful at all, as it could be utter bollocks, but I shall impart it anyway: I've always had more success by slipping in a few mins into the sale with a brand new browser window.

Last night I had around 8 separate incognito windows doing a 20 second refresh (though debatable that the refresh was even working tbh), but then closed them all and started a new one and walked straight into the sale.

Interesting...what advantages do you think opening incognito windows offers?

Lee

8 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Ok they have had this in place for years and I can assure that I have got past this holding page refrshing like mad as thats what we all did waiting for booking page to become available. People are taking this refresh situation to the extreme.  Why would see put on that page that you can manually refresh as you like it doesn't say don't hit f5 too much or you won't get past this screen.  I honestly believe there is no credence to this refresh rate it's a scare tactic to not overload servers

As have I - multiple tabs on multiple browsers across multiple devices all on a single WiFi connection.

Apparently this new limit was introduced in the 2017 sales so wouldn't apply to previous attempts. I was unsuccessful in the 2017 sales and this may have factored in, if true

1 minute ago, lmatth8461 said:

Interesting...what advantages do you think opening incognito windows offers?

Lee

When you load the glastonbury.seetickets.com site, you have a cookie that is a session ID, this is used by the load-balancing system to decide whether or not to let you through to the booking form. If you've got 8 separate Incognito windows, you've got 8 different session IDs and therefore 8 different chances of getting onto the page. Or so is the theory.

1 minute ago, pentura said:

As have I - multiple tabs on multiple browsers across multiple devices all on a single WiFi connection.

Apparently this new limit was introduced in the 2017 sales so wouldn't apply to previous attempts. I was unsuccessful in the 2017 sales and this may have factored in, if true

Possibly but not convinced.  I understand multi hit software but it seems a bit harsh 

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not strictly true, the issue a lot of people get is that they don’t even get to the holding page, aka the white screen of death from last year. If you at least get the holding page the battle is half won.

That is a caching issue apparently. 

8 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Yes, I just assumed that they decided midway to remove any non essential stuff from the page to make it slightly more efficient

Yep. This is the obvious answer. I glanced at the time when it went from all my devices - 6:07 and I was maintaining a plodding refresh rate throughout.

2 minutes ago, MJP said:

When you load the glastonbury.seetickets.com site, you have a cookie that is a session ID, this is used by the load-balancing system to decide whether or not to let you through to the booking form. If you've got 8 separate Incognito windows, you've got 8 different session IDs and therefore 8 different chances of getting onto the page. Or so is the theory.

Noted, thanks for the tip...all useful info to be added to my list! 

Ref the issue of multiple devices on same IP exceeding the F5 rate.  Due to the way in which DNS works and allocates page requests to 4 load-balancers in rotation, and then reallocates after 59 seconds it is unlikely that multiple machines on same IP will be connected to the same load-balancer for the same amount of time simultaneously.  Given that it's the load-balancer that issues the busy page the risk of 2 or more devices being counted as the same is reduced. It's certainly possible, but unlikely...and unfortunately there's little you can do about it.  

Ref See not telling us about the limit, yeah, I think it's a bit shi**y too....but why publicise their anti-bot/spam whatever processes to allow folks to then figure out a way round it?  Surely more effective to simply say there is something in place and leave it at that. 

Edited by parsonjack

18 hours ago, alibear said:

Does anyone know whether the lead booker's post code has to match the bank details? I've got a couple of friends who used their home address post code but their bank card is registered to another address.

Makes no difference. I've used my card to pay for other people's tickets many, many times. All they check is the validity of the card. You also have parents paying for their kids' tickets, who are not going to the fest themselves.

X

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MJP said:

I'm not sure at all about your conclusion based on what you've said. 

Why would you not conclude that actually your 8 browser windows had been preventing you from progressing and that if you'd not b*ggered about from the outset you'd have been successful earlier, as some of us were ;) 

13 hours ago, stu_kent said:

Yes I had that as well. From after entering the registrations there was a countdown but it crashed after entering card details and couldn’t get it back. 

And then my mates got confirmation emails so it had worked after all! 

This fills me with hope....

Hi People, new to forum so hello fellow glastogoers. Just thought i would add what happened to me in coach sale.( sorry if this has been discussed before ), But i got though to the booking page and booked my coach, however when i submitted the page i was then left waiting for the payments page to come up, after 5 mins my F****** browser (firefox) timed out and gave me an error page, so alas no tickets bought.

As as this can happen to anyone i thought i would warn you so can set the timeout to longer than the 5mins (300 secs) set in the defaults, look online at using the about:config in your address bar to change settings. Not sure about chrome or IE.

Good luck to all on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Bileman said:

Hi People, new to forum so hello fellow glastogoers. Just thought i would add what happened to me in coach sale.( sorry if this has been discussed before ), But i got though to the booking page and booked my coach, however when i submitted the page i was then left waiting for the payments page to come up, after 5 mins my F****** browser (firefox) timed out and gave me an error page, so alas no tickets bought.

As as this can happen to anyone i thought i would warn you so can set the timeout to longer than the 5mins (300 secs) set in the defaults, look online at using the about:config in your address bar to change settings. Not sure about chrome or IE.

Good luck to all on Sunday.

Cheers, that browser had issues whereas Edge didn't.

1 hour ago, MJP said:

Incognito mode only protects the front end, the device, as the website viewed does not appear in the history or immediate cookie registry. It does not stop the a server identifying the user IP or placing cookies on the device.  Look it up.

https://www.quora.com/Can-servers-identify-you-without-“logging-in”-in-incognito-mode

If your session times out whilst in the purchasing form, I'd be tempted to hit refresh as I'd think that the session ID should also be in your cookie and as long as the 6 min booking timeout is not also expired, it should repost the data and you can carry on.

This sort of thing is why i'd personally not be wanting to use a browser mode that blocks cookies - See can use as many cookies as they want on the day if it helps maintain or authorise the session.

Interesting earlier in the thread that some report that once a browser got through on their machine, all the other browsers and tabs showed the same page at the same moment. This tempts me into thinking that the session ID revolves around that shared IP and is less dependant on browser version or cookie.

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Incognito mode only protects the front end, the device, as the website viewed does not appear in the history or immediate cookie registry. It does not stop the a server identifying the user IP or placing cookies on the device.  Look it up.

https://www.quora.com/Can-servers-identify-you-without-“logging-in”-in-incognito-mode

Ah, useful - thanks. That clears up the cookie thing since it still allows them per session (but clears them when you close). Other browsers than Chrome may differ in their approach to 'incognito' however.

16 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Correct! This is why you can use multiple incog tabs and not multiple non-incog tabs...