What I learnt during the ticket sale.

alibear

15 minutes ago, pentura said:

It'd be interesting to see how this played out in the end. Some of the more knowledgeable techies might jump in here.

Is there an actual page that appears when you have refreshed too much / exceeded the supposed 60 per minute?

If not, How will one know if they have? - unless you have a counter or else can keep track of exactly how many refreshes you did

I ask because there were three of us in one house last night trying, we were all on the same WiFi / IP Address and all that jazz, probably a dozen pages open at any one time across all three laptops / browsers / tabs etc, all manually refreshing, and all three of us seemed to stay on the holding screen no matter how many refreshes it took.

Think the whole lot went down at about 6:10ish so the pages couldn't be displayed for a couple of minutes but apart from that, there was no page or anything indicating we had exceeded the 60 refreshes. All of our tabs / browsers / devices etc seemed to connect to the same holding page straight away no matter how many refreshes - I think it definitely would have exceeded 60 at some point

What gives? Did anyone see a page stating they had exceeded the limit? Interesting to hear..

Hopefully Sunday we'll have more luck

Someone posted 'that' page on one of the threads recently. Apparently it is ever so slightly different, though I cant remember what was different about it. Which is no use!

But the ordinary holding page has changed now anyway so its all big confusion. Just gotta hope for sunday, and not refresh too much I suppose

8 minutes ago, Havors said:

Its a quite archaic way and poor UX to have 4 separate boxes for your card number. I can imagine they would use that system. Any UI worth a damn is one box for your number. 

Yeah it is. I could be wrong though, haven't been successful with tickets since 2016 but seem to remember then it was 4 separate entry boxes - I recall having to split the numbers on my spreadsheet then

15 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

My work server blocked the page. Had to stay late for meetings

gutted doesnt even cover it 

I have the same problem at work. It appears that Seetickets use an old security certificate on their web servers, my work place uses McAfee Web Gateways and they reject the Seetickets cert and refuse to load the page. Its a right pain, because my work SP4 is much quicker than the laptops & PCs I have at home...

12 minutes ago, across97 said:

Someone posted 'that' page on one of the threads recently. Apparently it is ever so slightly different, though I cant remember what was different about it. Which is no use!

But the ordinary holding page has changed now anyway so its all big confusion. Just gotta hope for sunday, and not refresh too much I suppose

I seem to recall someone, probably parsonjack, mentioning a 'white screen of death' - assuming this is when you have exceeded the amount of refreshes

I suspect we definitely went over the 60 count limit at some point over the course of the 30 mins last night and we all got the same holding page. Don't recall there being any difference since the first time we got on it, but a minor change might go unnoticed I suppose.

Surely they'd make you aware if you have? And not bring you to the same holding page under the pretence that you're still in the queue if you're blocked out for a set time or whatever?

Getting extremely worried for Sunday if that's the case. It's pot luck of course, just surprised not even one of our pages got through last night! 

Edited by pentura

23 minutes ago, pentura said:

Yeah it is. I could be wrong though, haven't been successful with tickets since 2016 but seem to remember then it was 4 separate entry boxes - I recall having to split the numbers on my spreadsheet then

I just pasted it in from notepad where it was nnnn nnnn nnnn nnnn (with spaces)

17 minutes ago, pentura said:

I seem to recall someone, probably parsonjack, mentioning a 'white screen of death' - assuming this is when you have exceeded the amount of refreshes

Yes, the recent years where I'd  continued with my tried and tested multiple machines and browsers with multiple tabs it all went woo suddenly and every browser displayed the white screen simultaneously.  Meanwhile on a couple of those occasions my Sis casually bought them on an ipad on 3g.

This year on coach I followed the rule, one machine on edge being manually f5'd (even with an accidental second tab) and another machine VPN'd using chrome also being manually F5'd.  Both got to where I hoped they would, no white screen, tickets done in 5 mins more by luck than judgement.

I forgot, also having another browser instance on the chat window with a few tabs on efestivals in case this is the year there's a sneaky way or it goes t*ts up.

Edited by clarkete

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes, the recent years where I'd  continued with my tried and tested multiple machines and browsers with multiple tabs it all went woo suddenly and every browser displayed the white screen simultaneously.  Meanwhile on a couple of those occasions my Sis casually bought them on an ipad on 3g.

This year on coach I followed the rule, one machine on edge being manually f5'd (even with an accidental second tab) and another machine VPN'd using chrome also being manually F5'd.  Both got to where I hoped they would, no white screen, tickets done in 5 mins more by luck than judgement.

Big congrats on securing them clarkete! 

Didn't get the white screen of death at all throughout the course of the sales. This leads me to question the legitimacy of this refresh limit business.

Maybe will reduce the number of tabs / browsers on Sunday, might stand a better chance, might not - all I know is I need to be there next year! 

9 minutes ago, pentura said:

Big congrats on securing them clarkete! 

Didn't get the white screen of death at all throughout the course of the sales. This leads me to question the legitimacy of this refresh limit business.

Maybe will reduce the number of tabs / browsers on Sunday, might stand a better chance, might not - all I know is I need to be there next year! 

Cheers, by rough count this should be my 28th time :) 

I've certainly been wary of hitting the limit, simply as they state it explicitly and that previous experience left me a little battle-scarred.

As I was doing it manually and am a a bear of little brain I could only keep an eye on so many simultaneously without my other fear of pressing f5 on a browser which had just finally got to the bit I wanted it to :) 

3 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Yeh, I've got the impression not many others noticed (or didn't have) this timer. I'm 99.9% certain it was there with the tickets held phrase. Just like when buying any other gig tickets. Whether that is a bug in the system or it meant something different I don't know! Interesting though as I know the fact tickets aren't usually held is hotly debated! Personally I think once you are at the payment stage the tickets should be held so you can calmly enter all your payment details.

Let's hope I get that far!

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Cheers, by rough count this should be my 28th time :) 

I've certainly been wary of hitting the limit, simply as they state it explicitly and that previous experience left me a little battle-scarred.

As I was doing it manually and am a a bear of little brain I could only keep an eye on so many simultaneously without my other fear of pressing f5 on a browser which had just finally got to the bit I wanted it to :) 

That's amazing! 

I haven't seen any official Glastonbury / See mention of this limit. But wary of it myself. Would be interested to see if anyone has exceeded it and and been notified of it. I'd say our group using the same WiFi with multiple tabs, browsers, laptops etc definitely exceeded the limit and we were still kept on the same holding page as if there was just one of us with one tab and had gone onto it for the first time.

I'm only assuming they'd notify you if you exceeded the limit. It'd be pretty sh*tty of them to lock you out and keep you on the holding page when you think you're still in the queue. Again, can't say for sure this is the case but none of us saw anything other than the holding page for 30 mins straight. 

I'm confident yet anxious for Sunday. Seems there was other issues beyond the holding page which I don't even want to think about unless we get through. Crossing that bridge 'n all that! 

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Good point, I really thought I had until you said that.

Someone said they seen it in the FAQ's but no solid proof of it existing other than on here. Could be a red herring, could be true, but it's still luck at the end of the day I guess!

45 minutes ago, pentura said:

That's amazing! 

I haven't seen any official Glastonbury / See mention of this limit. But wary of it myself. Would be interested to see if anyone has exceeded it and and been notified of it. I'd say our group using the same WiFi with multiple tabs, browsers, laptops etc definitely exceeded the limit and we were still kept on the same holding page as if there was just one of us with one tab and had gone onto it for the first time.

I'm only assuming they'd notify you if you exceeded the limit. It'd be pretty sh*tty of them to lock you out and keep you on the holding page when you think you're still in the queue. Again, can't say for sure this is the case but none of us saw anything other than the holding page for 30 mins straight. 

I'm confident yet anxious for Sunday. Seems there was other issues beyond the holding page which I don't even want to think about unless we get through. Crossing that bridge 'n all that! 

I think a while ago we had a link to a page with the options for tickets (or something similar). Someone tried 60 refreshers in under a minute and it brought up the holding page. I may be wrong, memory is hazy.

3 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I think a while ago we had a link to a page with the options for tickets (or something similar). Someone tried 60 refreshers in under a minute and it brought up the holding page. I may be wrong, memory is hazy.

Yes Parson Jack did a fair bit of research into this

The evidence was that if you go to https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/ and refresh more than 60 times in a minute, you'll get a 'holding' page which, it is thought, will not then allow you back into the 'queue' for the booking page until your refresh rate drops below 60 times a minute. It includes the phrase "You can refresh the page manually to make more attempts at accessing the booking page, however attempts from IP addresses using 'multi-hit' software may be blocked."

You can see that page here: https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy

Yes, it looks just like the 'normal' holding page... so nobody from the coach sale is sure whether they got the normal holding page, or this 'wilderness' holding page, or what....

1 minute ago, billum said:

The evidence was that if you go to https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/ and refresh more than 60 times in a minute, you'll get a 'holding' page which, it is thought, will not then allow you back into the 'queue' for the booking page until your refresh rate drops below 60 times a minute. It includes the phrase "You can refresh the page manually to make more attempts at accessing the booking page, however attempts from IP addresses using 'multi-hit' software may be blocked."

Yes, it looks just like the 'normal' holding page... so nobody from the coach sale is sure whether they got the normal holding page, or this 'wilderness' holding page, or what....

Ok, now we're getting somewhere...

So essentially, if you were to exceed the limit, you would be shown the exact same holding page as if you didn't exceed the limit? The only difference being with the 'locked' holding page, you think you're still in the queue but actually, you aren't getting anywhere and need to go back to the start?

That's pretty sh*tty. So no notification if you have exceed? 

Will need to rethink the battle strategy for Sunday if the above points check out

1 minute ago, pentura said:

So essentially, if you were to exceed the limit, you would be shown the exact same holding page as if you didn't exceed the limit? The only difference being with the 'locked' holding page, you think you're still in the queue but actually, you aren't getting anywhere and need to go back to the start?

Will need to rethink the battle strategy for Sunday if the above points check out

Yeah that's the current thinking, but hard to prove as no-one has knowingly seen this 'lockout' page in the heat of ticket sales...

It *may* not exist in the context of ticket sales, but then why would it exist for over-refreshing https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/ which is the sales link?

There are more questions than answers, as someone once said...

5 minutes ago, billum said:

Just tried this out quickly and yep, get brought to a holding page.

One thing I did notice was that the Glastonbury header & logo images disappear from that holding screen. Just a grey screen with the holding page text on it. 

Last night, the actual holding page still had the Glastonbury header & logo etc. Maybe that's the giveaway? 

See photos below

image.thumb.png.e811c58a0a201fd4c0a3392d05d2a208.png

Holding screen without images after 60+ refreshes;

image.thumb.png.883165505741100891fba698cd20f916.png

2 hours ago, pentura said:

It'd be interesting to see how this played out in the end. Some of the more knowledgeable techies might jump in here.

Is there an actual page that appears when you have refreshed too much / exceeded the supposed 60 per minute?

As a techie, my guess would be that it's absolute horseshit. Can't say for certain but it would be way more hassl;e to develop a reliable system than it is to simply tell people they won't get tickets if they refresh too much. If a system is implemented it'll be using something like Cloudflare to stop requests before they even get to the servers but still I'd expect that's just to stop some kind of huge traffic surge, as if any of us would have some kind of ticket buying bot-net under our control, doubt it'd stop people who have multiple browsers open.

2 minutes ago, billum said:

Yeah that's the current thinking, but hard to prove as no-one has knowingly seen this 'lockout' page in the heat of ticket sales...

It *may* not exist in the context of ticket sales, but then why would it exist for over-refreshing https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/ which is the sales link?

There are more questions than answers, as someone once said...

Amen to that! Will need a seriously strong beverage later to set the mind right

3 minutes ago, pentura said:

One thing I did notice was that the Glastonbury header & logo images disappear from that holding screen. Just a grey screen with the holding page text on it. 

Last night, the actual holding page still had the Glastonbury header & logo etc. Maybe that's the giveaway? 

See photos below

This *might* be a red herring in 50 shades of gray - both crazyfool1 and I noticed the header disappear from the holding page last night in the coach sale, but we were both careful to not exceed the refresh limit, so my speculation was that the graphic was adding too much weight to the download and they dropped it

Did anyone else notice the header disappear about 10 mins into the coach sale?

Edited by billum

1 minute ago, pentura said:

See photos below

the header disappeared across all my devices at the same time, on different IP addresses. i think it was removed by see at some point

This is worrying me too, we had 4 devices on the go last night but I think I’m just going to stick to 1 on Sunday and let the others auto refresh. 

Charm x

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

As a techie, my guess would be that it's absolute horseshit. Can't say for certain but it would be way more hassl;e to develop a reliable system than it is to simply tell people they won't get tickets if they refresh too much. If a system is implemented it'll be using something like Cloudflare to stop requests before they even get to the servers but still I'd expect that's just to stop some kind of huge traffic surge, as if any of us would have some kind of ticket buying bot-net under our control, doubt it'd stop people who have multiple browsers open.

Try it yourself. Go spam the refresh button on the page 60 times fast and it will boot you to the holding page. There is obviously something in place to stop the multi hit software. 

Amen to that! Will need a seriously strong beverage later to set the mind right

It doesnt need a lock out page.... when you hit a threshold every time you refresh it will just not even attempt to resolve to the booking page but refresh the holding page. You need to give it 20 seconds ish before you can proceed with refreshing without hitting the holding page again. 

Edited by Havors

Just now, billum said:

This *might* be a red herring in 50 shades of gray - both crazyfool1 and I got the headerless holding page last night in the coach sale, but we were both careful to not exceed the refresh limit, so my speculation was that the graphic was adding too much weight to the download and they dropped it

Did anyone else notice the header disappear about 10 mins into the coach sale?

The header disappeared for me too, made me think I was refreshing too much but it sounds like it happened to everyone. 

Charm x