What I learnt during the ticket sale.

alibear

4 minutes ago, pentura said:

Just tried this out quickly and yep, get brought to a holding page.

One thing I did notice was that the Glastonbury header & logo images disappear from that holding screen. Just a grey screen with the holding page text on it. 

Last night, the actual holding page still had the Glastonbury header & logo etc. Maybe that's the giveaway? 

See photos below

image.thumb.png.e811c58a0a201fd4c0a3392d05d2a208.png

Holding screen without images after 60+ refreshes;

image.thumb.png.883165505741100891fba698cd20f916.png

I definitely got this last night half way through. Thought it was just struggling to deliver up the images. 6 machines with 2 browsers on each and 3 of us refreshing is obviously too much, so complete strategy rethink for Sunday. The knowledge that the whole period from 6.10 - 6.30 last night I was on a hiding to nothing does little to improve my mood today.

Bring on Round 2, now with more knowledge and hopefully more luck for us all.

Looking like the Headless Busy Page spectre is not conclusively the locked-out one then, it could just as well be the normal one with a bit of deadweight removed by the server operators

As far as we know, then, there is no difference between the locked-out and the normal busy pages... not helpful for Sunday

1 minute ago, billum said:

Looking like the Headless Busy Page spectre is not conclusively the locked-out one then, it could just as well be the normal one with a bit of deadweight removed by the server operators

As far as we know, then, there is no difference between the locked-out and the normal busy pages... not helpful for Sunday

Yeah I agree. Probably just removed it to try and speed things up though obviously VERY marginally.

Just now, James96 said:

So we're establishing when the header vanishes you've reached the cap? I somehow doubt that very much. 

No.  That's not true.  

I'm sure I saw both.

I'm also unsure why people are so desperate to try more than 60 times in a minute if it's possible that may lessen your chances?  If you do, then go somewhere else and use a different IP, connect to a work VPN, get someone else to try for you or whatever.

If you can identify a single person who tried more than 60 times a minute last night that was successful then carry on, if not change your plan.

12 minutes ago, Havors said:

Try it yourself. Go spam the refresh button on the page 60 times fast and it will boot you to the holding page. There is obviously something in place to stop the multi hit software. 

Ah, I already tried that many time sbut must still have been under 60. I'm very surprised the limit is so low. Easily triggered by a few people in the same house which is pretty unfair as it affects the die-hard fans who are trying hardest to get tickets first. That's pretty shitty Glastonbury.

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Ah, I already tried that many time sbut must still have been under 60. I'm very surprised the limit is so low. Easily triggered by a few people in the same house which is pretty unfair as it affects the die-hard fans who are trying hardest to get tickets first. That's pretty shitty Glastonbury.

Its not by house... you only hit the limit per browser type. i.e. 2 tabs/windows of chrome if you hit limit on one it will also hit limit on the other. However, one chrome and one firefox are independent.

Now as for limit on connections per IP address he have no idea if that is even a thing

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Yep, I was very scepical about the refresh limit and couldn't understand how anyone would even come near that amount of refreshes per minute.

I only factored in one person, on one machine / IP / WiFi etc.

After last night I can easily see how this would be exceeded. Pretty shitty indeed. 

Edited by pentura

4 minutes ago, pentura said:

I guess we can put the headerless page to bed.

More sleuthing required to find the 'wilderness' holding page as @billum aptly named

1 minute ago, pentura said:

Yep, I was very scepical about the refresh limit and couldn't understand how anyone would even come near that amount of refreshes per minute.

I only factored in one person, one one machine / IP / WiFi etc.

After last night I can easily see how this would be exceeded. Pretty shitty indeed. 

Again, you dont need a wilderness page. And it is very easy to hit the refresh limit. You can wack that button more than once per second very easily. 

Also multiple browsers, people on a connection do not cause any issues its on a browser by browser case. 

15 hours ago, upshitcreek said:

I just kept getting this or a variation of this message. I had tried other cities which wouldn't allow me to pick any tickets. I must've missed a tick box somewhere 

2D78B8C9-62D5-4FD4-8D11-35AB8D71F6AD.jpeg

Yup, we had the same. It was close the end so assume there weren't enough seats on the coach or something. Fuming doesn't even scratch the surface...

Ah well, Sunday it is - although we run a B&B so will be booting people out from breakfast early!

I had 4 browsers open across 2 devices, one on Wifi and one on 4G - only one browser on each device was being F5'ed, the others were left to auto refresh. The F5 was every 5 seconds. ALL 4 browsers at some point went to the imageless holding page, so I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with over eager refreshing!

This 60 malarkey is starting to get on my nerves now.  Can someone clarify once and for all that refreshing quicker than a second in some way hinders your chances of tickets.  I have always battered the hell out of f5 for years and always assumed reaching the holding page was moving closer to booking page.  I think it's a red herring.  Yesterday I was actually holding back on f5ing as fast as I usually do but I just feel it's worked for years so why change it now.  Please any feedback on this much appreciated

2 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

This 60 malarkey is starting to get on my nerves now.  Can someone clarify once and for all that refreshing quicker than a second in some way hinders your chances of tickets.  I have always battered the hell out of f5 for years and always assumed reaching the holding page was moving closer to booking page.  I think it's a red herring.  Yesterday I was actually holding back on f5ing as fast as I usually do but I just feel it's worked for years so why change it now.  Please any feedback on this much appreciated

Bloody hell go try it now on the page.... you will hit a holding page. On sale day everyone is on the holding page... the issue is getting off it. You wont if you spam refresh over 60/s

3 minutes ago, Hooba said:

I had 4 browsers open across 2 devices, one on Wifi and one on 4G - only one browser on each device was being F5'ed, the others were left to auto refresh. The F5 was every 5 seconds. ALL 4 browsers at some point went to the imageless holding page, so I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with over eager refreshing!

Everyone gets the holding page... the issue is if you refresh faster than 60 times per second it will keep you on that page and not resolve to the booking page. 

Edited by Havors

29 minutes ago, billum said:

This *might* be a red herring in 50 shades of gray - both crazyfool1 and I noticed the header disappear from the holding page last night in the coach sale, but we were both careful to not exceed the refresh limit, so my speculation was that the graphic was adding too much weight to the download and they dropped it

Did anyone else notice the header disappear about 10 mins into the coach sale?

Yes, I noticed this! As did the rest of my group 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Again, you dont need a wilderness page. And it is very easy to hit the refresh limit. You can wack that button more than once per second very easily. 

Also multiple browsers, people on a connection do not cause any issues its on a browser by browser case. 

I can see how the limit can easily be reached now. And someone said in the other thread that it's limited to 60 per IP Address. Would that mean each device connected to that WiFi gets 60 refreshes or is it 60 between the 3 devices?

Just now, Havors said:

Bloody hell go try it now on the page.... you will hit a holding page. 

Everyone gets the holding page... the issue is if you refresh faster than 60 times per second it will keep you on that page and not resolve to the booking page. 

Sorry, I meant they all changed from the holding page with the logo to the holding page without the logo, even on the ones I left to Auto refresh - in relation to the comments earlier wondering if the imageless one was related to F5 excess!

Unfortunately none of them went any further than that though!

Just now, Hooba said:

Sorry, I meant they all changed from the holding page with the logo to the holding page without the logo, even on the ones I left to Auto refresh - in relation to the comments earlier wondering if the imageless one was related to F5 excess!

Unfortunately none of them went any further than that though!

That could have been one of a couple things.... the image was removed to reduce any unnecessary load. Or people where hard refreshing with Ctrl+F5... 

2 minutes ago, pentura said:

I can see how the limit can easily be reached now. And someone said in the other thread that it's limited to 60 per IP Address. Would that mean each device connected to that WiFi gets 60 refreshes or is it 60 between the 3 devices?

No it is certainly not limited to 60 per IP. It is limited per browser i.e token/cookie 

5 minutes ago, Havors said:

Bloody hell go try it now on the page.... you will hit a holding page. On sale day everyone is on the holding page... the issue is getting off it. You wont if you spam refresh over 60/s

Not strictly true, the issue a lot of people get is that they don’t even get to the holding page, aka the white screen of death from last year. If you at least get the holding page the battle is half won.