Glastonbury with a Bad Back

Hutchmaster

You are the only one who knows what hurts your back, therefore listening to our advices and even doctors might harm you. For example most people advice you to sit when resting- when my back ache sitting usually (but not always) hurt my back so bad I can't get up with my back straight which cause more pain of course. So stay within your limits it's the best advice I can give you and bring the stuff that helps you when your back hurt.

While I guess it's a different experience and a pricey one, consider sleeping at a campervan/motorhome. It allows your body to rest and recover faster, its spacey, quite and you have the equipment to control the temperatures. If you get to Glastonbury with a car you can have your car next to the caravan so you don't need to take weight on your back. 

I ruptured two discs in my back just before the 2016 festival, and this thing saved me - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Flipstick-Walking-Seat-Stick/dp/B008L1ONAS. I took it last year too - folds up into a tiny bag when you're not using it, but is just enough to take some weight off your back and lean against (or use as a stick when things are particularly bad). The best thing about it is you're still at almost standing height, so people don't trip over you in crowds, and it's directly under you enough when you're leaning on it that I didn't find anyone tripped over the stick either, though I did wrap it in glowsticks whenever I used it at night.

Had quite a lot of people ask me about it, and made a few friends letting people have a rest on it. Good luck - I also wasn't prepared to give up glasto for a bad back at 30!

Ive always gone with my brother in law, and luckily we're both chiropractors.

We usually adjust each other once or twice while we're there. ( sounds weird)

Glasto is pretty gruelling on the body, especially if muddy.

A few have mentioned abdo exercises and this is definitely good prep ( but not straight leg raises, whatever you do)

I would also suggest gluteal exercises..the clam....to build the hip stabilizers. Really helps the strain of walking and prolonged standing.

We kept a few people going thru the festival last year...if you get in strife (and we manage to get tickets) you can always PM me, happy to do a Tent call and fix you up.

Don't miss out on the greatest event on the calendar for fear of your back. Do the prep, wear a back brace when you're out and about, call if you need help.

Edited by BlackZeppelin

I have sciatica - I find a few sessions of physio before I go, a pump-up bed and some pain-killers while I'm there, see me through most festivals. 

I find boots with insoles help too, in 2016 I had to use wellies on Saturday and it nearly finished me off, I reverted to boots for the Sunday and just got covered in mud as it was less painful. 

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

A few have mentioned abdo exercises and this is definitely good prep ( but not straight leg raises, whatever you do)

I would also suggest gluteal exercises..the clam....to build the hip stabilizers. Really helps the strain of walking and prolonged standing.

We kept a few people going thru the festival last year...if you get in strife (and we manage to get tickets) you can always PM me, happy to do a Tent call and fix you up.

Don't miss out on the greatest event on the calendar for fear of your back. Do the prep, wear a back brace when you're out and about, call if you need help.

you do realise that posting this might keep you very busy ... im saving it for sure :) 

• Upvote 1

To be honest mate, it depends on how you're feeling.

I put my back out before End of the Road this year, and I got through it, but by the end I was incredibly miserable, spent most of Sunday night headliners sat down at my tent.

If I felt like that the week before Glastonbury, I probably wouldn't go tbh. Look after yourself, not just back wise, but emotionally. It depends on what you can take really. It would ruin my weekend personally, depends if you can grin and bear it

I'm another with back issues ever since one of my discs disintegrated a few years ago.  The two vertebrae just rub together and the GP's advice was I could either go for a spine fusion which carries risks or live with the pain.  So I live with the pain.

I can walk OK but can't stand in one place for long, so can't do any standing only concerts.  At festivals the answer for me is a traditional fold up camping chair.  The floor seat may be lighter to carry but should it be wet or muddy could be a problem.

Other than that, I find succeeding in getting a ticket on T Day does wonders for the whole of your body, not just your back.

Two lower slipped discs for me from 14 years ago means I’m hardly ever out of pain for long. Chronic and acute.

Camping / standing still / sitting down brings it on. Movement and variety works best.

I’m currently on a mega drive to get stronger and more flexible. 

Good luck for tickets and take care of your back.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, BlackZeppelin said:

That's really helpful advice and thanks so much for the lovely offer, will certainly be in touch if you managed to get tickets and my back plays up!

I've used a really tight elastic back band thing because my lower back always goes into spasm at Glastonbury. I have bertolotti syndrome and bulging discs as well as pain, I go to the gym and lift weights to keep myself fit but ultimately at Glastonbury I try not to carry too much, and I take regular breaks. I'd invest in a good support :) it stops all that movement during the walking.