Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

On 10/14/2018 at 10:58 PM, Gnomicide said:

BBC Four to show an hour of Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 on Friday October 26th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bntp2p

well spotted - it will be good to look back to that night.

I also saw him at the Phoenix Festival Thursday 18th July 1996

I was working at it { but not in a bar - Vince Power asked me to work for the VIP box office - that was great fun dealing with so called VIP's who are not used to being asked for ID - but as they were getting in for bugger all I would send them away if they could not prove who they were }  but was able to fix the shift so I did not miss it ' but many people did miss it ' - there was a problem with people arriving - don't have a clue what the problem was  all I know is many thousands missed him { or missed most of it } so it was a unusual concert as I was able to get very close without much problem.

https://youtu.be/8gXu1pj1OEg

On 10/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, Chef said:

Given a choice, which other past Glastonbury sets would people want on a release similar to this? 

Stones has to be the obvious one? 

Levellers 94 set. Well before I started going, but would just love to see proper footage of them smashing it to the biggest (maybe still, not sure if it's been overtaken) Pyramid crowd ever.

Of the ones I've seen, last year's Radiohead set. Loved every minute of it but was quite a way back so didn't rely get the visuals. Would love to see it properly.

44 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

I also saw him at the Phoenix Festival Thursday 18th July 1996

I was there, one of my favourite festivals - 4 days of glorious sunshine and an immense line-up. I’d already seen Bowie 3 times by then (firstly on the overblown Glass Spider tour) but really enjoyed this set. The only downside for me was that it clashed with the Cocteau Twins on  another stage - managed about 20 minutes of what was to be their last ever gig before leaving for Bowie. 

Massive queues to get in and many failed. We were lucky as I drove in on a country lane and missed all that.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there is absolutely no way that was remotely close to the biggest ever.

Really? Seen that stated on multi sources over the years. If had just been lev's own puff I'd have been more sceptical.

Still want to see it though :)

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Really? Seen that stated on multi sources over the years. If had just been lev's own puff I'd have been more sceptical.

Still want to see it though :)

I'm always hearing it was the biggest, but it does seem surprising. I would have thought the biggest was the Stones, or the Chems in 2000, since that's the year of the biggest attendance (including jumpers), with a substantially smaller site.

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm always hearing it was the biggest, but it does seem surprising. I would have thought the biggest was the Stones, or the Chems in 2000, since that's the year of the biggest attendance (including jumpers), with a substantially smaller site.

You're absolutely right about the stones, so full even right up the hill. Never seen anything else quite like that. 

15 hours ago, henry bear said:

I was there, one of my favourite festivals - 4 days of glorious sunshine and an immense line-up. I’d already seen Bowie 3 times by then (firstly on the overblown Glass Spider tour) but really enjoyed this set. The only downside for me was that it clashed with the Cocteau Twins on  another stage - managed about 20 minutes of what was to be their last ever gig before leaving for Bowie. 

Massive queues to get in and many failed. We were lucky as I drove in on a country lane and missed all that.

I got to work at them all - it was a real shame the Council did not get on with The Mean Fiddler as they imposed infrastructure demands that made it impossible for Vince to make a profit - for example - they wanted him to pay for 4 times as many Police/ambulance/fire crew that had been on site in 1997 and 4 times as many Security - there was no way he was going to make a profit in 1998 so he switched many bands to Reading.

Glad you missed the chaos of getting in - we used to arrive on the Tuesday so we would never see any traffic although there was one year - 94 or 95 where one of the WBC Coaches dropped crew off at the wrong spot so a lot of us who had cars went out to pick them up.

As far as I know the 96 balls up was due to a miscommunication of a few people who were in charge of the entry gate so for some reasons people were being told to come back the next day or something close to that - all I know was there was a lot of very unhappy people who should have got in but were delayed by a few people who did not use any commonsense.

The killer for me was seeing Neil Young on the Friday but Bowie was also very good.

I think the weekend ticket was £65 

Phoenix Festival 1996 - Highlights { 150 mins } https://youtu.be/ZXI8J3OEtY4

06.thumb.JPG.d5c1bdccb91cc41b31d7a1bddba3257d.JPG07.thumb.JPG.560eaa6a6224235adbb8e4c8fbd8061b.JPG08.thumb.JPG.8c0f9d109964eb0afd3d52b1b045ad17.JPG09.thumb.JPG.90c525caba1b144778635396bcdb4d1f.JPG

• Upvote 2

I went to the first Phoenix, in 1993. After working at Glastonbury for a few weeks, I headed straight there. Was chaos, all kicked off on the (I think) Friday night, fences getting kicked down, lots of stand-offs between security and punters. Pretty heavy

Can’t remember much about who I saw, aside from Julian Cope, Disposable Heroes, Cornershop and one or two others

5B70B94D-5392-47E4-A339-0F1B87BBA478.thumb.jpeg.00a8e7641f360dfa617054b528ee821b.jpeg