Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

It was just the greatest thing ever. Oh to be young again.

My favourite quote to come from around the time of his death:

If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.

— Dean Podestá (@JeSuisDean) January 10, 2016

• Upvote 1

I’ve often wondered why GF don’t put out an annual album or dvd of the highlights of the festival. I know there’d be issues around consent from artists but this is something that could be included in their performance contracts, the vast majority of them consent to being filmed when signing up so this isn’t much of a stretch further.

They could give the proceeds to Oxfam or WaterAid.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve often wondered why GF don’t put out an annual album or dvd of the highlights of the festival. I know there’d be issues around consent from artists but this is something that could be included in their performance contracts, the vast majority of them consent to being filmed when signing up so this isn’t much of a stretch further.

They did that in 2016 for Oxfam. Didn’t do it last year, but I imagine if the 2016 compilation was popular enough then they might have.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They did that in 2016 for Oxfam. Didn’t do it last year, but I imagine if the 2016 compilation was popular enough then they might have.

There must be at least 100,000 people who would buy a dvd package of the highlights. The footage is all there from the BBC, cut all that footage down to three disks - one for each day, and we're away.

I'd certainly buy it.

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though the album recorded in Hyde Park the week afterwards is surprisingly good.

Can’t seem to find a vinyl only copy, looks like it’s dvd bundle only at £58. Might hunt around discogs/ eBay for one. 

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There must be at least 100,000 people who would buy a dvd package of the highlights. The footage is all there from the BBC, cut all that footage down to three disks - one for each day, and we're away.

I'd certainly buy it.

I essentially have this for 2017 on my sky box at home. I’d happily spend £20 on a nicely packaged dvd of it and free up space on the hard drive. Win win. 

Edited by Chef

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The full Stones set leaked online shortly after the performance so most folk desperate for it have probably already tracked it down.

Dunno about an audio release. Though the album recorded in Hyde Park the week afterwards is surprisingly good.

Stones show wasn't all that on the telly - Blur neither. Probably best off just releasing Arctic Monkeys 2013.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

the broadcast contracts are completely separate to being booked. 

They have to be, because it's a completely separate 'rights' issue, and there's lots of different paperwork that has to be sorted with different people to those involved in the booking to play.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Blur 2009, although a lot of it is on No Distance Left To Run.

There was an hour long highlights on the BBC not that long ago, I have it recorded. It is the same one as was played not long after the show cos I had that on my Sky+ box for about 5 years. It unfortunately misses Damon crying on the drum riser, can't even remember what song that was on now.

I'd buy it!

2 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

There was an hour long highlights on the BBC not that long ago, I have it recorded. It is the same one as was played not long after the show cos I had that on my Sky+ box for about 5 years. It unfortunately misses Damon crying on the drum riser, can't even remember what song that was on now.

I'd buy it!

I *think* it was after "To the End" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:51 PM, DJL said:

I'd be over the moon at this. In my wildest dreams they'd put it on the pyramid on the Thursday night. I was at the festival in 2000 and didn't see Bowie because I was young and stupid - that would be the closest I could come to making up for it.

Aaaargh!! So close yet so far.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

The full Stones set leaked online shortly after the performance so most folk desperate for it have probably already tracked it down.

Dunno about an audio release. Though the album recorded in Hyde Park the week afterwards is surprisingly good.

Agreed, but why 'surprisingly'? I've seen the Stones loads of times over the years, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go for Hyde Park. Brilliant atmosphere due to the stunning weather.

I'm pretty sure their Glastonbury performance is all up on youtube, isn't it?

Lee

27 minutes ago, lmatth8461 said:

Agreed, but why 'surprisingly'? I've seen the Stones loads of times over the years, but if I had to choose just one, I'd go for Hyde Park. Brilliant atmosphere due to the stunning weather.

By the standards of most of their later official live albums - Flashpoint, No Security, etc.