Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

• 5 months later...

Hi all - saw this and thought of eFests. If you're in/near London and OK with going to the cinema, Bowie at Glastonbury 2000 will be shown on the big screen on Sat 22nd Jan at BFI Southbank. 

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=bowieatglastonbury2000&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Can't believe I was there - in some ways at the time it seemed totally natural and inevitable at the same time.

You very lucky person. I've cried multiple times in my living room watching this. 

There'll never be anyone like him again.

I have not read this thread, but here is my story. I have told this before here, a long time ago.

I saw/heard the start. It was good.

But this made me and my then girlfriend very horny.

So we went back to the tent, and did the thing, with Bowie vaguely there in the background.

That's the story.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bamber said:

I have not read this thread, but here is my story. I have told this before here, a long time ago.

I saw/heard the start. It was good.

But this made me and my then girlfriend very horny.

So we went back to the tent, and did the thing, with Bowie vaguely there in the background.

That's the story.

Modern love

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Saw David Bowie for the first time in Glasgow, his 1973 Ziggy tour . Was into heavy rock at the time and went along just because a crowd of us went. By the end of the evening I was totally entranced by the performance. If I recollect he had already done an afternoon gig. 

you have a good memory - if it was two shows { on the same day } then I suspect it was Friday 18 May 1973 at the Green's Playhouse { which was renamed the Apollo }

As it was a Friday I was working that evening { DJ in the Lunar Seven 221 Buchanan Street } but I had time to walk my girlfriend at the time to it as she was Nuts over Bowie and after the show she came into the Lunar Seven.

Just sods law the dates clashed but as I got older I saw Bowie many times including when he performed at The Phoenix Festival in 1996 on the Thursday to a near empty field { there had been a problem with Punter entry that day - have not a clue what happened but genuine ticket holders could not get in to park } - anyone who was there will know what it was like.   

But back to Bowie just look at where he was in May 1973 { ' over 196 scheduled shows ' on that tour } and to do ' two back to back shows ' is amazing.

As you know the Green's Playhouse and the Odeon used to have some amazing bands and I am sure many will not believe me but it was possible just to buy the tickets on the door for most bands { including the Rolling Stones }  

12 May 1973    Earl's Court
16 May 1973    Aberdeen    
17 May 1973    Dundee    
18 May 1973   2 shows    Glasgow    Green's Playhouse
19 May 1973    Edinburgh    
21 May 1973  2 shows    Norwich 
22 May 1973    Romford    
23 May 1973    Brighton
24 May 1973    Lewisham
25 May 1973    Bournemouth
27 May 1973  2 shows    Guildford
28 May 1973    Wolverhampton
29 May 1973    Hanley    
30 May 1973    Oxford 
31 May 1973    Blackburn

_L7.thumb.jpg.b8e3a5b860e234ecf4c3ccd24f8c1be1.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

you have a good memory - if it was two shows { on the same day } then I suspect it was Friday 18 May 1973 at the Green's Playhouse { which was renamed the Apollo }

As it was a Friday I was working that evening { DJ in the Lunar Seven 221 Buchanan Street } but I had time to walk my girlfriend at the time to it as she was Nuts over Bowie and after the show she came into the Lunar Seven.

Just sods law the dates clashed but as I got older I saw Bowie many times including when he performed at The Phoenix Festival in 1996 on the Thursday to a near empty field { there had been a problem with Punter entry that day - have not a clue what happened but genuine ticket holders could not get in to park } - anyone who was there will know what it was like.   

But back to Bowie just look at where he was in May 1973 { ' over 196 scheduled shows ' on that tour } and to do ' two back to back shows ' is amazing.

As you know the Green's Playhouse and the Odeon used to have some amazing bands and I am sure many will not believe me but it was possible just to buy the tickets on the door for most bands { including the Rolling Stones }  

12 May 1973    Earl's Court
16 May 1973    Aberdeen    
17 May 1973    Dundee    
18 May 1973   2 shows    Glasgow    Green's Playhouse
19 May 1973    Edinburgh    
21 May 1973  2 shows    Norwich 
22 May 1973    Romford    
23 May 1973    Brighton
24 May 1973    Lewisham
25 May 1973    Bournemouth
27 May 1973  2 shows    Guildford
28 May 1973    Wolverhampton
29 May 1973    Hanley    
30 May 1973    Oxford 
31 May 1973    Blackburn

_L7.thumb.jpg.b8e3a5b860e234ecf4c3ccd24f8c1be1.jpg

Absolutely love your detail heavy slices of history on such a variety of topics. From what I read on eFests you’ve led a life well lived. 

Edited by blutarsky

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

how come he never does this one live!

headliners never play their best songs  also see macca and the frog chorus.

Before his 1990 ‘Sound & Vision’ tour there was an official poll and Bowie said he’d play the songs that got the most votes. NME persuaded many to vote for ‘The Laughing Gnome’, which of course Bowie ignored.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Before his 1990 ‘Sound & Vision’ tour there was an official poll and Bowie said he’d play the songs that got the most votes. NME persuaded many to vote for ‘The Laughing Gnome’, which of course Bowie ignored.

I think he did sing the first few lines at a press conference around that time, but sadly didn't do the whole song.

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I saw Bowie many times including when he performed at The Phoenix Festival in 1996 on the Thursday to a near empty field { there had been a problem with Punter entry that day - have not a clue what happened but genuine ticket holders could not get in to park } - anyone who was there will know what it was like.   

We were lucky, some locals told us of an alternative route/entry and we by-passed the carnage and drove straight in. I saw Bowie a number of times and this was one of my favourites, mainly because it wasn’t just the usual hits. Subbed by The Prodigy and we managed to catch most of what was to be the last Cocteau Twins gig, in the tented second stage, in between.

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

The Greens and subsequently the Apollo was an  iconic but dilapidated venue. But it was an incredible atmosphere and a world away from todays venues. Seats were for standing on , not sitting. Saw all the great bands in their classic line ups such as led zep, sabbath, deep purple , Alice cooper, yes elp etc and of course Bowie.  The tickets at the door thing was sometimes a doorman taking a bung to let you in.  Used to truant  school to queue to buy tickets.  @glasto-worker, love your memories! 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, henry bear said:

We were lucky, some locals told us of an alternative route/entry and we by-passed the carnage and drove straight in. I saw Bowie a number of times and this was one of my favourites, mainly because it wasn’t just the usual hits. Subbed by The Prodigy and we managed to catch most of what was to be the last Cocteau Twins gig, in the tented second stage, in between.

well you were bloody lucky to get that advice - Bowie was amazing that night - as I was working at it I was already there but when I reached the stage I could not work out why it was so quiet so had a word with one of the security supervisors and was told it was a right Balls up ## but I did not see it myself ## - I quote wiki - 'Problems with the event reached a climax in 1996 when many festival goers missed David Bowie on the Thursday night due to problems letting people on site. Having sold out that year for the first time, due to the Glastonbury Festival taking its usual year off (once in every five years in a cycle), the organisers struggled to cope with the crowds and extreme heat. Temperatures on site exceeded thirty degrees Celsius on all days. The weekend was further marred with problems with water being unavailable in parts of the site. The event was notable for the fact that the Sex Pistols headlined their first major UK festival on that weekend.'

I attended all of them and and did not mind Long Marston Airfield but I was not driving in on the Thursday but I could see there could be access problems  ' if you were coming from the motorway '

## The Crew site was at the back 'outside the wall 'at the rear and one year two jokers climbed over the crew fence not appreciating they had to have a pass to leave that site and also a pass to enter the arena so they did not make it ##

amazingly Vince's Management team was after extra help so I ended up being transferred to the VIP and Press entry point { its a cabin where they get their wrist bands } and while there is a Guest list VIP and Press were told to bring Photo ID with them but some of them failed to bring them so they were stuffed - lots of ' I am a famous Radio 1 Presenter I don't need ID ' - but seeing anyone could claim to be Joe Bloggs - no Photo ID no entry - anyway whatever I did - the Management team asked me to do the job a year later. 

Completely confused a lot of the WBC volunteers who noticed I was not working in any Bar so they were keen to find out what the hell I was up to - I kept quiet until the Sunday Party.