Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

11 hours ago, General Lee said:

There was also Elbow and Neon Neon on the Other Stage who were both amazng.

I remember being pretty bored during The Verve and Massive Attack and KOL seemed like they would go on forever before we walked off. It was a good festival though. 

I can't remember what else without looking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_2008 It just seems a lot less diverse musically than it is now... the Park and JP are always fairly indie heavy so if the Pyramid and Other are too it's all a bit samey  (though  it was very mainstream at the time).  Kings of Leon vs Panic at the Disco vs Pete Doherty vs the Cribs - feels like more crossovers in fan base than they have now (thank god there are other stages etc etc). 

14 hours ago, Simpo said:

Get this queued up for afterwards btw, it's a stunning piece of work from Soulwax/2manydjs. A straight up mix of Bowie and Bowie-adjacent stuff, with a dreamy film to accompany it. Promise it's worth an hour of your time!!

https://vimeo.com/53207758

Haven't watched this in years, thanks for the reminder :)

14 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

The few glimpses of the crowd up close showed a lot of faces that were clearly physically present but mentally somewhere far away. A favourite was some fella in a white T-shirt just holding his head with both his hands and a face of pure terror. 

I would have loved to have been there but I don’t think I would have any concept of what I was witnessing, mostly because I would have been nine. It made me try to think back to my first introduction to Bowie. I can’t think of an earlier clear memory of hearing Bowie than Chandler Bing singing Space Oddity. Christ, I’m such a millennial it’s sickening!

I was there, with my son then age 16 and neither of us could quite comprehend the magnitude of what we were watching. 

I had also seen him at Phoenix 96 and was fearful of a similar disappointment  - I thought that set was pants. 

But when he pulled out hit after hit after hit. .... we both knew we were watching something very special. 

I've been gigging for around over 50 years. Even saw Bowie as Ziggy at Imperial College but still think his Glasto 2000 is probably the greatest set I've ever watched. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:34 PM, henry bear said:

If I remember correctly they blasted techno out of it, drowning out the nearby second stage. And later sold it to Don Henley (true).

First time I saw the Super Furries, who I’ve subsequently seen more than any other act (20+ times).

Heh, the very same with myself. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen them since then - my first SFA gig was either that set at Phoenix, or a show at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth around the same time, can’t quite remember. Last one was at London Roundhouse when they toured Fuzzy Logic & Radiator a couple of years back.

Hardly any flags, no confetti canons, no fireworks, no visuals or anything back in those days... Just an incredible band playing incredible timeless songs, and a man ooozing charisma. Not spoilt by seeing the probable setlist on setlistfm, or seeing youtube clips of the tour dates. Happy days. (God I sound old).

I still remember the sound being absolutely crystal clear that night.

Doesn't get any better or more life affirming than that. 

7 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Hardly any flags, no confetti canons, no fireworks, no visuals or anything back in those days... Just an incredible band playing incredible timeless songs, and a man ooozing charisma. Not spoilt by seeing the probable setlist on setlistfm, or seeing youtube clips of the tour dates. Happy days. (God I sound old).

I still remember the sound being absolutely crystal clear that night.

Doesn't get any better or more life affirming than that. 

It did look like half the lights on the Pyramid were broken. So, so sparse compared to say:

Music was better, obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been looking at adding this release to my Christmas list and looking around I found it super cheap compared to other places here

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/glastonbury_2000_david_bowie_album_with_dvd_cd?gclid=CjwKCAiAz7TfBRAKEiwAz8fKOPr0xBuDkMWwJ_kn6TMQiYh_312gCcCqUqq1eRfg6N6pBRgGh_Rz7xoC8DcQAvD_BwE

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Anyone snag this yet?

Yup - CD & DVD for me. I've gone for this version of a few things recently, as have decided I'd rather the full music and video package, than the vinyl.

See also: Nick Cave greatest hits, REM live at the BBC, Maximo Park new live set.