Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Went out back for a smoke when it finished, and was thinking that was great, but I was a bit disappointed. Took me a few minutes to work out why.... then it came to me. I wasn’t THERE. It’s just not the same. That’s what I was missing.

Very rarely comes across as well on tv as being there. The Stones at Glastonbury is the greatest single gig I've been to but many people watching on tv thought it was poor.

The few glimpses of the crowd up close showed a lot of faces that were clearly physically present but mentally somewhere far away. A favourite was some fella in a white T-shirt just holding his head with both his hands and a face of pure terror. 

I would have loved to have been there but I don’t think I would have any concept of what I was witnessing, mostly because I would have been nine. It made me try to think back to my first introduction to Bowie. I can’t think of an earlier clear memory of hearing Bowie than Chandler Bing singing Space Oddity. Christ, I’m such a millennial it’s sickening!

Edited by The Clearest Blue
I’ve had too much wine

I Was there for Bowie and it was a pretty amazing 2 hours. It was a real reward for surviving a nightmare of an over crowded festival weekend with the fence coming down, being surrounded by drug dealers, and a really unsafe environment and overflowing toilets!! 

• Like 1

I wasn't a cool enough 13 year old to be at Glastonbury 2000, but I really appreciated all the little Bowie things at Glaston 2016. I liked contributing to this, in the Cabaret area.

8Q5W85S.jpg

I wonder where that is now?

A closer look at each part of this can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/KVvtH7q . I put the lyric from A Memory Of A Free Festival on Bowie #2's hand. It seemed apt!

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. I was 9 years old in 2000 and had no idea who Bowie was at the time, experienced my first Glasto in 2009 and been back ever since...thought being lucky enough to see Blur and the Stones would do it but i’m Insanely jealous of anyone there in 2000. What a set. 

That intro to Let’s Dance though. Incredible. 

Will anything ever come close again? 

Edited by mike46

7 hours ago, Freewheelin2 said:

Great to see it at last, can't wait for the full version to come out. Was the last year before the 'Superfence' went up, the site was rammed and seriously buzzing. Wonderful memories of an amazing Sunday night.

and yet..

the amount of fires in the crowd - as there always was back then - would suggest the field was not as full as it regularly gets these days.  Personally, I always take the estimates of numbers pre-fence with a large pinch of salt.