Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

9 hours ago, mario man said:

I don’t remember much about Phoenix 96, except it was bloody hot, and the Furries bought this

3083384A-9A78-4058-AC49-3BA99FC81E1B.jpeg

That was sat right alongside the Guardian stage, blasting out techno and you could climb up and sit on it if your ears would let you.

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Friday 2008 Pyramid stage lineup says otherwise.

This made me look at the 2008 line-up as a whole - wow there was a lot of lot of generic indie music and a lot of bands playing more than one stage. I didn't realise quite how unfair it was to attribute the poor sales that year to Jay-Z...

On 10/22/2018 at 6:01 AM, Yokel Again said:

Chemical Bros in 2000 was fairly spacey from what I remember. Before the barriers/pit I remember dancing all the way down to the front during Hey Boy Hey Girl without much trouble. 

I agree we were dancing near the sound o e of the towers, sound or light, and there was room about.

Radiohead and Ed certainly busier down at the front in my opinion

On 10/22/2018 at 11:27 PM, mario man said:

I don’t remember much about Phoenix 96, except it was bloody hot, and the Furries bought this along

3083384A-9A78-4058-AC49-3BA99FC81E1B.jpeg

If I remember correctly they blasted techno out of it, drowning out the nearby second stage. And later sold it to Don Henley (true).

First time I saw the Super Furries, who I’ve subsequently seen more than any other act (20+ times).

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, DJL said:

This made me look at the 2008 line-up as a whole - wow there was a lot of lot of generic indie music and a lot of bands playing more than one stage. I didn't realise quite how unfair it was to attribute the poor sales that year to Jay-Z...

2008 was my first Glasto and I remember thinking that a hip hop artist shouldn't be headlining Glastonbury blah, blah. It's not till you get to Glastonbury and see how many stages and how vast it is that you it really sinks in that there is space for every genre of music. Looking back now, it appears slightly ridiculous that an artist of the stature of Jay Z would create the controversy it did (although I'm not a fan and would still choose to see massive attack instead).

Imo though after talking to people at the time the poor ticket sales were nigh on totally down to the previous years weather conditions, which were apparently atrocious (although my mate still rates it as his favourite festival).

Although selfishly, having fewer people there helped make a great festival for me. It's unreal how busy it gets at times now compared to 2008.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Watching this on BBC4 with an indifferent fucking husband who was actually there and me wishing I was. He doesn't like Bowie. Believe me I married him in spite of this. 

I was there and with a bunch of folks who all like him, but didn't really get captivated as so many others seem to describe it when they look back.