lacoste

british summer time 2019

Other than Florence, everyone I saw was incredible. Nadine Shah the highlight I reckon. I didn't know that so many of Florence's songs sounded the same, though...

• Upvote 1

This festival is pretty shite, more picnic blankets than actual space. Swear I didn't have to pay extra to get to the front a few years ago too

• Upvote 1

It's certainly not a festival you should go to expecting a life changing musical experience. 

I don't mind picnic blankets in general, I mean people should be allowed a bit of comfort...however I definitely think they should be banned from the front section. 

• Upvote 1

A young couple in front of me snorted some white powder just before The National came on and proceeded to babble on incessantly about how much they loved The National without ever looking at the stage or listening to the music! (Don't do drugs kids..) .

Once I tuned them out I thought The National were great as were Goat Girl and I also enjoyed Kruanghbin who I caught just as I came out of the pit. As for Florence she has a great voice but her music lacks variation and he does talk a lot of drivel (except the point she made about female acts). I must have been lucky but I never encountered queues for bar service and thought the drinking water points were well placed.

Sketchy sound for The National, couldn't hear the female backing at all and Matt's vocals were too low. But i still enjoyed their set. Self Esteem were brilliant though, my find of the day!

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Sketchy sound for The National, couldn't hear the female backing at all and Matt's vocals were too low. But i still enjoyed their set. Self Esteem were brilliant though, my find of the day!

Must depend on where you were, the sound was great where I stood. 

11 hours ago, reflekting said:

Yeah, was gonna ask where you were? We were right up there, and had the same issues.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:16 AM, MrZigster said:

As it's Hyde Park?: Pay attention to the T&C's. If it says "Don't bring this", then don't bring it. Don't bring anything you're not prepared to lose. Or have confiscated at the gates because you didn't take the above advice. Bring sunblock! It can get really hot there and shade is hard to come by. I know this contradicts the "Only sealed bottles of water or empty", rule, but it's an outdoor event and hopefully security aren't going to be total dicks. No bags over such a size? My strategy is pockets. Jacket. Tied around waist if it's too hot. Can hold sunblock, water bottle, tickets, wallet, phone, you name it. It may get searched but it's not a bag. The trick is a decent carrier bag in one of the pockets. Shorts under trousers (which both have pockets ideally). Once in, everything has a decent carrier bag to go in. If security aren't reasonable I guess I'll just end up heavy, hot, sweaty and sunburned.

Edit: @shoeboxhas a relevant point about bins and litter. Londoners fear bags and bins more than litter these days I fear.

Just thought I’d say thanks to you, @Damsonzand @shoebox I will definitely feel confident to do festivals on my own again now. And true about the complete lack of shade!

Un/luckily I forgot to bring a lighter so I Made some friends, got them very stoned, then made them whitey🤮 (oops)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Jimmerz95 said:

This festival is pretty shite, more picnic blankets than actual space. Swear I didn't have to pay extra to get to the front a few years ago too

Haha can’t disagree with the picnic blankets comment 😂 Definitely certain demographics of punters have no shame! They were so abundant I actually started to feel bad standing around them. Also- It was first come first served, they gave out those purple wristbands for free at the beginning of the day, and opened it to everyone for the last half hour of Florence

I got shouted at the Dylan gig by a woman because I stood in front of her. But if she had left more than a few inches between  her blanket and the one in front we could have moved around a bit and found a spot we could all see from. 

There was also a punch up it the mosh blanket pit during Laura Marling. 

Some guy was trying to have a go at me because I almost knocked a couple of his pints over (by walking in to them without seeing them) that he had on the floor in front of him during The National....he was literally standing a few metres in front on one of the entrances to the front bit so obviously he was in a main pathway in to that area, not sure what he was expecting to happen :lol:

6 hours ago, Declan said:

There was also a punch up it the mosh blanket pit during Laura Marling. 

Oh was that the guy who headbutted someone because he tried to stand in front of him, then he got dragged off? Metal heads are nothing compared to Marling fans apparently😅

Robbie Williams was brilliant on Sunday, didnt realise he'd be quite so good live! 

Enjoyed the day of music too - Texas, Feeder and Keand all great. Though didnt enjoy Black Eyed Peas at all, but its not my type of music anyway so didn't expect to.

Toilet queues for my girlfriend were ridiculous- they need less mens and more womens. Security were pretty aggressive when she went into the mens queue but she just stood her ground which was pretty funny, knew they couldn't touch her. Not sure she'd have got away with that at a festival aimed at younger people though, would probably have got us chucked out! 

Men’s and women’s toilets at a festival anyway is pretty bizarre. Normally just portaloos and urinals, ain’t it? In fact, it was last time I went to BST. Didn’t have any sort of VIP thing though if that makes any difference.

3 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

Surely it was just a case that there were more women attending on that day?

Women take a little longer, it's a proven fact.  Sitting vs standing.  It just does.

46 minutes ago, Damsonz said:

Women take a little longer, it's a proven fact.  Sitting vs standing.  It just does.

At the Dylan gig there were longer queues to the men's. Robbie is bound to draw a larger number of woman, so perhaps they need to switch a few men's to women's for that.

3 hours ago, Declan said:

At the Dylan gig there were longer queues to the men's. Robbie is bound to draw a larger number of woman, so perhaps they need to switch a few men's to women's for that.

I went on Saturday (Florence/National day) and they did this at one point. Toilets behind the main stage I had used earlier in the day had been switched to womens, with the barriers shifted.

As somebody else said, don't know why they needed to separate them anyway.  Last time I went to HP was for Tom Petty and they had separate queues then.

There was no segregation at Blackheath last weekend, and at other festivals I've been to it's all been unisex. 

^not exactly sure how the above happened.

My predictions for next year...

Joni Mitchell/Carole King (someone similar to fill the Barbara Streisland slot)

If Fleetwood Mac play glasto I could see them playing BST as well too.

The Kinks/Beach Boys co-headline - If that rumoured reunion ever happens.

Eagles - I'm sure it's gonna happen at some point, if Fleetwood didn't happen it'd be a good shout for a Stevie Nicks support slot.

Arctic Monkeys - It does seem weird how little touring the last album got and I think it'd be a safer bet to play a fest rather than a stadium show.

Tina Turner/Madonna - I'm surprised neither have headlined BST already what with their target audience.

Elton John - What with the alleged retirement at the end of next year of course he's going to want to play Hyde Park. If it doesn't get an extension I imagine this is nailed on.

Rod Stewart - Another example of how has he not played yet.

Joni Mitchell's in poor health, I don't see her performing live again.

Elton John (2016) and Rod Stewart (2015) have both headlined the BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park festival in recent years. 
Not saying that rules them out, far from it, just that they have played HP recently.

37 minutes ago, Damsonz said:

Joni Mitchell's in poor health, I don't see her performing live again.

Elton John (2016) and Rod Stewart (2015) have both headlined the BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park festival in recent years. 
Not saying that rules them out, far from it, just that they have played HP recently.

Rod has also milked the UK this summer with an extensive stadium tour.