british summer time 2019

lacoste

Like @Gilgamesh69states I have heard so many negative things about Dylan live that I shouldn't be disappointed.

But I still was.

It's like he makes no effort to ennunciate properly. He only seems to have about two or three notes vocally these days. He may as well just talk the lyrics but see point one. And, as for his timing? It's like he just spits out the next line whenever he feels like it. Call it "constantly reworking old material" or "improv", if you like. Personally I think it's just lazy. He still plays a mean harp though.

I left half an hour early to get home an hour earlier than I would have done otherwise.

He should have gone on before Young but I don't think that was ever going to happen.

There was no effort made to enforce the "No picnic blankets beyond this point" rule. They should be banned. Someone had even bought in a tent for their kids. It felt more like being on a beach in places than at a musical event.

I must remember to seriously reconsider going to Hyde Park if anyone I like comes up there in future. Even a decent view of the stage feels half a mile back with a GA ticket, and I found a decent view is hard to get (the sound tower on the left blocks out huge swathes of view). It's more like you're paying £80+ to see a live performance on a couple of screens and you can just about make out the stage in the distance. With only one or two different camera shots.

• Upvote 1

Neil was unbelievably good. Was a proper ripping setlist and the crowd seemed to love it. Feel really honoured that I got to see him again and it was easily as good as the gigs he did in 2016. 

Bob was alright. It was good fun and the band were great but his delivery and and annunciation meant that it never quite reached the peaks of Neil's set. 

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

I must remember to seriously reconsider going to Hyde Park if anyone I like comes up there in future. Even a decent view of the stage feels half a mile back with a GA ticket, and I found a decent view is hard to get (the sound tower on the left blocks out huge swathes of view). It's more like you're paying £80+ to see a live performance on a couple of screens and you can just about make out the stage in the distance. With only one or two different camera shots.

Exactly how I felt, although I did the cure last year so I knew the score, will give it a miss from now on. This diamond £400, gold £195 ticket price piss take which mean you can get nowhere near the front and the towers blocked out quite a lot of the stage for the normal tickets £95 holders at the back. 

Watched Dylan down at hop farms so wasn't expecting much, this was a lot better but then my expectations were very low after hop farm,  thought his band was pretty tight, that helped.

I think im going to stick to the non-tiered days from now on. Having a great time at Florence so far even though I don't know the bill that well and it was the same for The Cure last year.

It would have to be a huge name to pull me back for tiered to the point bar Paul McCartney or Fleetwood Mac I can't think of anyone I'd do it for.

I get they need the two big viewing platforms but put them way to the side. The left one in particular really irks me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a negative view on Bob Dylan, I felt so rude leaving early in his presence and I'm not expecting a direct from vinyl performance as well but there's a line and he crossed it for me.

Went last night and Neil Young was great, on par with Glastonbury 2009. Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan, who for years does his "greatest" as new arrangements. I saw Roger Walters last year which was also sold out, plus it was incredibly hot, but never had to queue for bars unlike yesterday when it took 30 ministers to get a drink. There seemed to be a ratio of one supervisor to three bar staff and the supervisors did bugger all except to check the odd £20 pound note. I have to forget that this is not a normal festival and accept that it is corporate land. But if they want to make more money improve the ratio of bar staff. Instead of spending £50+ we spent £12 on drinks. I want to see great performers but will always be very selective about who I see at Hyde Park.

Would love to see Neil Young at Glastonbury again, he fits into the ethos of the place.

2 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

If any of the people I saw in the front section during the National who spent the entire time sitting down on their phones happen to post here...I'd love to hear a rational explanation for it. 

Sadly I fear it would just be "we were waiting for Florence" though. 

I don't know if I was just unlucky, but the talkers nearly ruined The National for me. Like I'm not expecting radio silence/total immersion from the crowd during what was technically a support slot, but have some fucking consideration for others and piss off with your full blown, non stop conversation out of the pit.

6 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a negative view on Bob Dylan, I felt so rude leaving early in his presence and I'm not expecting a direct from vinyl performance as well but there's a line and he crossed it for me.

Don't feel rude. I'm also glad it's not just me. I left by North exit at about 21:45 and there was a stream of people leaving. Thousands I'd say. A large percentage. Like you say, there's a line.

Currently listening to Bringing It All Back Home as I type and loving it. Needed to remind myself why I went. Still a bit peeved though.

44 minutes ago, moremi said:

Went last night and Neil Young was great, on par with Glastonbury 2009. Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan, who for years does his "greatest" as new arrangements. I saw Roger Walters last year which was also sold out, plus it was incredibly hot, but never had to queue for bars unlike yesterday when it took 30 ministers to get a drink. There seemed to be a ratio of one supervisor to three bar staff and the supervisors did bugger all except to check the odd £20 pound note. I have to forget that this is not a normal festival and accept that it is corporate land. But if they want to make more money improve the ratio of bar staff. Instead of spending £50+ we spent £12 on drinks. I want to see great performers but will always be very selective about who I see at Hyde Park.

Would love to see Neil Young at Glastonbury again, he fits into the ethos of the place.

Neil was indeed on par with '09 and hope the '20 rumours are true.

Dylan was indeed Dylan but see my previous post. "Arrangements" you call them :).

Was also at Waters (sic) last year but never experienced 30 minute queues at bars then or yesterday. Always pretty much served immediately yesterday. Trick is to find the right bar. You've got places only selling "packaged" product which worked out at about £9 a pint at some bars, or others with poured pints at £5.50/£6.00. Still amazed that the cheaper ones often had the shorter queues.

Saying that: Though I didn't have a problem with queuing, the amount of time it took (in no particular oreder) between asking for a pint, getting it, handing over the money and then getting change was strange. It was like a different person was involved at each step in the transaction and they were all chatting amongst themselves during said transaction rather than getting on with their jobs. It's not the ratio of staff it's how they're allocated and managed possibly?

And why the question I got at every bar "cash or card"?. I already have my payment in hand. Can't you see? You literally didn't spot me. It was the twenty I was waving about that caught your attention. And you still asked the question?

Really enjoyed today, everyone I caught was really good. Thought The Nationals setlist was really solid for a semi-headline festival, and Florence was great (even though I only knew 3 or 4 songs). I reckon The National would've probably been more suited to the night time slot while Florence would be fine for the sunset slot, but she's obviously way bigger in the UK so it all makes sense, no real complaints.

I don’t know if it’s because I relied on Clashfinder more than the BST app for timings, but was beyond chuffed to discover Self Esteem starting on Summer Stage just as I was leaving the pit from The National.

Really great day yesterday, Let’s Eat Grandma were another highlight. 

A young couple in front of me snorted some white powder just before The National came on and proceeded to babble on incessantly about how much they loved The National without ever looking at the stage or listening to the music! (Don't do drugs kids..) .

Once I tuned them out I thought The National were great as were Goat Girl and I also enjoyed Kruanghbin who I caught just as I came out of the pit. As for Florence she has a great voice but her music lacks variation and he does talk a lot of drivel (except the point she made about female acts). I must have been lucky but I never encountered queues for bar service and thought the drinking water points were well placed.

11 hours ago, reflekting said:

Sketchy sound for The National, couldn't hear the female backing at all and Matt's vocals were too low. But i still enjoyed their set. Self Esteem were brilliant though, my find of the day!

Yeah, was gonna ask where you were? We were right up there, and had the same issues.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:16 AM, MrZigster said:

As it's Hyde Park?: Pay attention to the T&C's. If it says "Don't bring this", then don't bring it. Don't bring anything you're not prepared to lose. Or have confiscated at the gates because you didn't take the above advice. Bring sunblock! It can get really hot there and shade is hard to come by. I know this contradicts the "Only sealed bottles of water or empty", rule, but it's an outdoor event and hopefully security aren't going to be total dicks. No bags over such a size? My strategy is pockets. Jacket. Tied around waist if it's too hot. Can hold sunblock, water bottle, tickets, wallet, phone, you name it. It may get searched but it's not a bag. The trick is a decent carrier bag in one of the pockets. Shorts under trousers (which both have pockets ideally). Once in, everything has a decent carrier bag to go in. If security aren't reasonable I guess I'll just end up heavy, hot, sweaty and sunburned.

Edit: @shoeboxhas a relevant point about bins and litter. Londoners fear bags and bins more than litter these days I fear.

Just thought I’d say thanks to you, @Damsonzand @shoebox I will definitely feel confident to do festivals on my own again now. And true about the complete lack of shade!

Un/luckily I forgot to bring a lighter so I Made some friends, got them very stoned, then made them whitey? (oops)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Jimmerz95 said:

This festival is pretty shite, more picnic blankets than actual space. Swear I didn't have to pay extra to get to the front a few years ago too

Haha can’t disagree with the picnic blankets comment ? Definitely certain demographics of punters have no shame! They were so abundant I actually started to feel bad standing around them. Also- It was first come first served, they gave out those purple wristbands for free at the beginning of the day, and opened it to everyone for the last half hour of Florence

I got shouted at the Dylan gig by a woman because I stood in front of her. But if she had left more than a few inches between  her blanket and the one in front we could have moved around a bit and found a spot we could all see from. 

There was also a punch up it the mosh blanket pit during Laura Marling. 

Some guy was trying to have a go at me because I almost knocked a couple of his pints over (by walking in to them without seeing them) that he had on the floor in front of him during The National....he was literally standing a few metres in front on one of the entrances to the front bit so obviously he was in a main pathway in to that area, not sure what he was expecting to happen :lol:

Robbie Williams was brilliant on Sunday, didnt realise he'd be quite so good live! 

Enjoyed the day of music too - Texas, Feeder and Keand all great. Though didnt enjoy Black Eyed Peas at all, but its not my type of music anyway so didn't expect to.

Toilet queues for my girlfriend were ridiculous- they need less mens and more womens. Security were pretty aggressive when she went into the mens queue but she just stood her ground which was pretty funny, knew they couldn't touch her. Not sure she'd have got away with that at a festival aimed at younger people though, would probably have got us chucked out!