Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

Agree that the majority off the main bars have terrible beer. There are loads of other places that have some good ciders/craft beers, though.

In relation to the main bars - as has been said only one of the main brewers could manage the volumes that Glastonbury would demand...

Carlsberg (Carlsberg, San Miguel, Tuborg) 
Heineken (Fosters, Amstel, Moretti)
Coors (Carling, Coors, Staropramen)

Carlsberg are by far the cheapest so why wouldn't a festival use them? People will buy it no matter what with a few exceptions. Though I would agree that of the 3 brewers Carlsberg have by far the worst of the drinks... Tuborg especially is grim.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Remember, most people are happy to drink shit lager.

On a scorching day I'm happy with a lager. I am not happy with shit lager though.  Why Tuborg?!?  Some bars at Glasto have San Miguel which is mildly better than Tuborg, but it is hard to come by.

22 minutes ago, karaseen said:

On a scorching day I'm happy with a lager. I am not happy with shit lager though.  Why Tuborg?!?  Some bars at Glasto have San Miguel which is mildly better than Tuborg, but it is hard to come by.

Beat Hotel has San Miguel IIRC.

In fact, it was stopping there for a pint of San Miguel that stopped me from getting into the JP field for The Killers, they shut it just as I was arriving.

Edited by Hugh Jass

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Beat Hotel has San Miguel IIRC.

In fact, it was stopping there for a pint of San Miguel that stopped me from getting into the JP field for The Killers, they shut it just as I was arriving.

I hope it was worth it in some way

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

San Miguel is at least drinkable. 

Just about. Having been to End of the Road, and despite not even being a big beer drinker, I'm now a full on festival beer snob. 

Glastonbury should really look at a few of the craft beer guys and invite them in. 

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It was actually, due to not getting into the JP we wandered round to the Pyramid and caught Chic. Which turned out to be one of my sets of the weekend.

Thank you San Miguel!

Was that your first time seeing Chic?!!?  That was such a moment last year with the sun beaming down :)

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I saw them at the warehouse Project in Manchester a few years ago, but it was shit. Mainly because it was far too packed to see or hear anything.

I was there too. Dangerously overcrowded. My feet weren't touching the floor at some points. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I went out for a fag just before they came on and couldn't get back into the main room because it was so busy.

Is there a link here somewhere?

4 minutes ago, billum said:

Was it the Craft Tavern next to the Theatre Bar that had all those US/European craft ales last time? I remember a few of those being extremely tasty, almost ruining my Thursday evening... But all definitely a cut above the average bar fare that year

Oh yeah, forgot about that place. I was on my way there and some of the T&C performers got me to bounce on a space hopper.  I flipped over and flashed everyone say outside the craft beer place. Ran away in embarrassment without my beer.

1 minute ago, karaseen said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that place. I was on my way there and some of the T&C performers got me to bounce on a space hopper.  I flipped over and flashed everyone say outside the craft beer place. Ran away in embarrassment without my beer.

Oh shame about that! Hope it's back again next year (and you make it to the bar intact!)

On 9/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, Mardy said:

wonder how many pints they sell over the weekend. Only figures i can find are 400,000 in 2002

impossible question to answer due to how many bar operators there is now

On 9/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Aren’t most of the bars outsourced to WBC? Not sure how much sway Michael would have personally.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, incident said:

Nope, WBC have most of the larger bars, but there's multiple providers on site, Avalon being the next biggest.

But even then, the main bars will be bound by whatever supply contracted the festival has signed, don't think either of them have any significant inflience in the matter.

And even once you get past the supply issues, there's also consideration to getting the product on and around site in sufficient quantity with minimum vehicle movement, especially as reaching many bars means going across or through public areas - so as the main beer you need something that can literally be brought in by the tanker and parked there until empty.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, Hugh Jass said:

I fear we’re getting dangerously close to another essay from Glasto Worker.

yes you are - #incident has covered most of it - the key factor is 'dependable supply'

yes at one time the WBC ran most of the Bars - it went as high as 42 at one stage - yes I know there was a lot more bars than that but the majority were ran by the WBC.

I recall what the bars were like between 1979 and 1985 - there was longer queue's for a start. 

Its a shame the WBC did split but I still have contacts in Avalon.

Michael Eavis should be applauded if it was anyone else they would have imposed a ' No drinks rule ' for the whole site including the camping area 

## and at this point - I can predict that some will think its impossible ##

its not - they had a no drinks rule at River Cottage festival and I would predict that very few brought in their own drink even although ' they did not have enough Security to check all the bags.'

sure it would be a pain getting in but ' it is possible '

as soon as that can be imposed ' the bar rent goes though the roof ' as its a captive audience.

and with the bar rent up - the prices go though the roof .

I was at a Stones concert in London Stadium this year { where they held the 2012 Summer Olympics } lager was between £6.80 and £8.20 - the bar staff was rubbish - well 90% of the ones I saw were - they were still using kegs which was a big surprise as there was loads of room to park a few tankers { each with 43,200 pints } - in most bars they only had 1 MDU {(Multi Dispense Unit) 12 beers in 20 seconds but there should have been 3 MDU's in each bar due to the demand.

Glastonbury is as demanding as it gets - there is a whole army of people in the background keeping the bars supplied and the Volunteers who mainly serve do a amazing job.

The Customers are also ' on a whole ' a delight - at some events they can be very tricky.

yes I know that some people would like a wider range but to quote ' John Lydgate of Bury ( 1370 to 1451) “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” 

Edited by glasto-worker
Make it tidy
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I was at a Stones concert in London Stadium this year { where they held the 2012 Summer Olympics } lager was between £6.80 and £8.20 -

yes I know that some people would like a wider range but to quote ' John Lydgate of Bury ( 1370 to 1451) “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” 

Good lord I'd not drink at that price. Talking about taking the mickey. Cup.of tea thanks. And can you fill my bottle with water please! 

Nice nugget of info there!

19 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Good lord I'd not drink at that price. Talking about taking the mickey. Cup.of tea thanks. And can you fill my bottle with water please

Nice nugget of info there!

I do agree with you.

it was claimed there was water fountains somewhere but I know from reports after the event ' very few people found them ' - and I certainly did not spot any when I went to the bog.

re image - all the ones facing the camera are in the queue for a bar - as you can see they look well bored as the service was dead slow and I know that one bar ' their credit card machine packed up # and they dont accept Cash # - that must be a right wind up getting to the front and then being told - your out of luck.

there was bars outside the stadium ' and they looked well organised ' but as I am not that mobile just now { due to a by-pass operation } I only spotted them as I was leaving - they looked well staffed and I suspect it was a different Bar Company - I had to race back { not easy with a walking stick } to Hackney Wick railway station { its a closer walk compared to Stratford station } so had no chance fo find out what Company they were working for    

the big scandal with that night was ' the bag restrictions ' - did not affect me but I saw hundreds { and I do mean hundreds } of bags that were dumped outside the gate - say there is 5 gates - 3 of them had a ' Bag store ' but on two of the gates ' there was no mention about a bag store - so people arrived and because the bag was bigger than A5 - and even that was not straight cut as one bag would be allowed and a identical bag would be knocked back - Punters had no choice but to dump bags outside - after it hit the press - they changed their instructions about bags - it all depending on what ticket a person bought - some tickets '  spelled it out ' other e-tickets did not mention anything about bags hence why so many was caught out.

I was expecting those prices - they are very close to the O2 Arena { the old Millennium Dome } - I walked up to the ' empty bar ' and was checking out the prices - that was a few years ago to see Roger Waters - one of the bar staff asked me what I wanted and I just burst out laughing as the prices were outrageous - no way would I buy a bottle of lager from The Czech Republic that I have never heard of - I refuse to pay these over inflated prices - so had a smoke instead { really nice smoking area they have }   

85_HDR.thumb.jpg.5b971d6e814a681cd3532fa5b952a126.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker
Make it tidy