Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I prefer to think they are enjoying us chasing our own tails to names they have 'leaked' deliberately, knowing them to be nonsense from the outset, just to drum up hype and media interest.

Yep I certainly believe that to be the case more. I can imagine them thinking that the publicity has gone slightly quiet so let's say to a media friend that Madonna or Fleetwood Mac are possibly playing and then The Sun believes it and they just sit back and watch the fall out. 

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Yep I certainly believe that to be the case more. I can imagine them thinking that the publicity has gone slightly quiet so let's say to a media friend that Madonna or Fleetwood Mac are possibly playing and then The Sun believes it and they just sit back and watch the fall out. 

Emily  did say that they haven't massively publicised the festival in the runup to ticket sales this year ... so maybe leaking so info out helped them ramp up the interest once they were happy that the ticket sales had gone well 

Would it effect how much other acts might charge for a headline slot?

I don't know anything about how the process works but say Artist 1, Artist 2 and Artist 3 are all in line for the Saturday headline. They are all pitching at different amounts thinking that the other two might be undercutting them. If it's announced that Artist 2 definitely isn't playing, wouldn't that change how the other two made their pitch?

Maybe?........ 

Edited by Ommadawn

19 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I wonder how many of the people who do this actually bother to empty their shit buckets in the long drops and take their bucket home with them? I suspect a large proportion just leave them at their camp site still full.

I really don't understand why people would went to take their own tent just to use to shit into a stinky bucket when they could just use the long drops or compost loos which don't tend to smell bad at all.

Yep, it sounds gross- I know how hot and stuffy my tent gets during the day- can you imagine walking into one with a bucket full of poo and wee that had been stewing for hours/days?

from 18months ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/20/michael-emily-eavis-the-variety-bazaar-glastonbury-festival

Why not ballot for tickets rather than the current scrum?
David Webb

Michael: Oh, nobody would like that. We did suggest that years ago and people didn’t want it.

Emily: I think you’d get even more people trying for tickets in a ballot, so you’d end up with even less chance of getting one. I know it’s hard for the people who miss out, but at the moment demand is much higher than supply and we think this is the most pain-free way. We open the ticket site slowly so that they’re not gone in 30 seconds and people have a fair chance. But within an hour, you’ll know whether you’ve got one.

e: and noticed one from our own @giantkatestacks whichis related to the Camplight stuff:

I’m on the recycling team, is there anything we can do to make the festival greener and leave less trace?
Giantkatestacks

Emily: This is something we work on all year – and we’re always open to new ideas. We’re currently working on pre-erected tents, and looking at working with various small charities who can put up recycled tents. We actually just won an award at the Greener festival awards, but we’ve always got lots of new initiatives in the pipeline – like the steel cups last year.

maybe a charity will provde tents, rather than the for-profit setup of Camplight

Edited by ghostdancer1

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

from 18months ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/20/michael-emily-eavis-the-variety-bazaar-glastonbury-festival

Why not ballot for tickets rather than the current scrum?
David Webb

Michael: Oh, nobody would like that. We did suggest that years ago and people didn’t want it.

Emily: I think you’d get even more people trying for tickets in a ballot, so you’d end up with even less chance of getting one. I know it’s hard for the people who miss out, but at the moment demand is much higher than supply and we think this is the most pain-free way. We open the ticket site slowly so that they’re not gone in 30 seconds and people have a fair chance. But within an hour, you’ll know whether you’ve got one.

Yes, so as we've been saying, obviously if they've decided to look into one it'll either be as part of a green scheme or you'll have to choose between entering the ballot or entering the bloodbath. Or something like that. No way they're suddenly gonna change tack and put half the tickets in a ballot with no restrictions on who can enter.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep, it sounds gross- I know how hot and stuffy my tent gets during the day- can you imagine walking into one with a bucket full of poo and wee that had been stewing for hours/days?

It all sounds like a health hazard... But who's gonna check? Maybe some volunteers on bucket patrol? :P 

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the "green ballot" idea, though, in terms of getting rewarded for taking your tent (aside from the issue that it prioritises people who are at the festival that year) is what about people who use Worthy View/campervans/off-site options? How can they take a tent they didn't bring? And you could argue that some of these initiatives are equally green.

Also that toilet thing is well rank. How that is preferable to a short walk is beyond me.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yeah nice one CF1, some brilliant titbits in there. Looking forward to the 50th anniversary book, hugely.

A part-ballot isn’t the answer, unless it’s exclusively for cheaper tickets for people on low incomes.

Don’t know how easy it would be to have separate ticket sales for people in various different income brackets, say five different income brackets spread across five nights of a week, with each of those separate sales offering a different price point based on the income bracket in question. Say:

On Monday, a proportion of tickets are offered at £75 to people earning £13k or less

Tuesday, at £150 to people on £26k or less

Wednesday, at £250 to people on £40k or less

Thursday, at £350 for people on £65k or less

Friday, at £450 for anyone earning above £65k (or anyone earning below £65k too if they should want to).

Followed by a general sale at £250 for everyone unlucky earlier in the week to have one last chance.

Guess the effort and manpower that’d be required by something like that is just too much when their priority is understandably just selling out and having a fest to even run.

How would this work for foreign peeps? Do you count gross or net income? If a family is trying, do you count total family income or individual? Also, here's another caveat... I work for (US) government, money that comes into my account puts me into under 65k.ut over 40k bracket. Thing is... for tax purposes, my income is roughly half of what I get per year, the rest are "allowances" and aren't taxable. Do you just count my taxable income or do you count that plus allowances I get? 

Bad idea and a logistical nightmare. 

• 2 months later...