Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

12 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

perhaps a ballot for people who take there shit home and sign up to be worthy warriors ... now that would be great :0 

Yes! Shambala have a good security deposit system.. although the queue is a bit massive even at a small festival. There must be a way of policing the taking home of tents and linking that to tickets. I'm just not innovative enough to think of it....

12 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

The system is essentially a ballot. But a little better as it's weighted slightly more to people who want it more. 

Every year I email about 12 people twice warning them to be ready etc. Only about 8 actually remember / care enough to send me their details, get up in time or read my advice. 

I fucking hate the idea that one of these gets a ticket but not someone who reads all the tips on forums does everything they can to get ticket day right. Fuck the ballot. Worst idea Glastonbury has ever had. 

Me too!! Literally everyone would be having a go!

Yeah that's a great point. With a ballot system people will sign up willy nilly and it could really dilute the fan base.

You don't want to skew the process to give more fair weather fans a chance. People who are desperate to go more likely than not get tickets. If someone isn't arsed enough to try in the resales, secret resales etc then they clearly aren't that fussed about going. A ballot system could have a huge impact on the type of crowd and could really change the vibe of the festival.

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

perhaps a ballot for people who take there shit home and sign up to be worthy warriors ... now that would be great :0 

Oh, maybe like a month before the festival, you can register your ticket/reg number against a tent, and they then send you a barcode which you print and attach with a luggage tag to be scanned in and out. It's not compolsory but if you do it, you become a worthy warrior and access a ballot for eco-tickets ? Or  maybe it could be compolsory and if you don't do it, you get blocked from the following years sale! 

I actually have no idea if that would make it any easier to get a ticket, but it might sort out some of the tent issues. Particularly that second option. 

9 hours ago, Ohinever said:

*enters thread looking for info on a qanda with the eavii*

*in reality steps into a time warp student common room politics discussion from 1976*

*leaves thread non the wiser *

apologies for the off topic bit the questions are on pages 5 and 6 ... were are now back on topic 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

not sure how a ballot would work with groups ... I would at least want to go with one friend and if I got tickets and they didn't it would definitely make me consider giving up the ticket 

Fusion festival does this and as far as I know it works quite well. You register as a group and either all of you get tickets or don't. Skews a bit towards larger groups iirc. 

40 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Such a good idea! Only problem is that it would essentially be a priority scheme advantadging those who were lucky enough to go the previous year. Presumably that’s why the ‘cycled last year’ presale has seemingly been binned off. Great idea in principle though.

Yes yes yes. Apart from the logistics of piling on more SEE drivers who don’t know where they’re going, I don’t know why they don’t already have like 50% of the tickets in the coach sale. It’s such good value I would never dream of getting there any other way. Well it is from Birmingham anyway.

Emily did say they would be looking at increasing coach numbers as this is the best way of reducing environmental impact ( yes I know people get in there cars and travel to some out of the way locations ) 

50 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah that's a great point. With a ballot system people will sign up willy nilly and it could really dilute the fan base.

You don't want to skew the process to give more fair weather fans a chance. People who are desperate to go more likely than not get tickets. If someone isn't arsed enough to try in the resales, secret resales etc then they clearly aren't that fussed about going. A ballot system could have a huge impact on the type of crowd and could really change the vibe of the festival.

Picture the scene in 2020...

Far more of us (massive obsessive fans of the festival) are staying at home but Cheryl and her mates are all going instead of V this year because one of them posted the ballot email link on their whatsapps group thread called 'love island goss'. They're all getting their eyebrows done especially for it. They then leave Saturday afternoon after Little Mix at the Pyramid because it's a bit cold and Dave's got an important football game in the morning. 

At the moment it is a ballot but weighted slightly to people who care more...(read forums, get tips, re-sales etc).

I do the Wimbledon tickets ballot every year, it's very easy, involves just entering your email address etc. Like Glastonbury, with Wimbledon you can't sell them on, so if I win, I end up going and having a nice time but not particularly desperate to go (sorry Wimbledon fans).

I.e Imagine that type of 'fan' at Glastonbury. Jesus. THE WORST IDEA EVER.

Especially with the 50th anniversary and every arse typing their email in.

Edited by danbailey80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Emily did say they would be looking at increasing coach numbers as this is the best way of reducing environmental impact ( yes I know people get in there cars and travel to some out of the way locations ) 

Very glad to hear it :)  In an ideal world they’d tell See to bun their company coaches and set up a partnership with Big Green Coaches instead, but I know that’s not realistic any time soon.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Seriously, fuck all this totalitarianism shit. Barcodes? Facial recognition? Sod off!

They had barcodes on wrist bands at both boomtown and shambala this year... Not for anything eco, but just to scan you in and out if you wanted to leave the site for whatever reason. I didn't find it to be particularly totalitarian :)

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

Maybe also worth noting that at shambala there were only 35 tents left at the end in 2017. Not sure how they do that...probably by mostly attracting vegan hippies in their clientel as there's no obvious penalty other than your own shame

i think its also the guilt factor people stand out like a sore thumb if they are one of a  few not taking tents home .... I started tidying the general area of our camp last year and it was amazing how few tents were left and people saw me tidying and followed with the sheep effect everybody now knows its not acceptable so cant make those excuses ... I think things like the bottle ban may help as more general tidiness should hopefully filter through ... the other option is if you see shity areas just ask if they need any bin bags no confrontation it just adds a little thought in their heads 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

They had barcodes on wrist bands at both boomtown and shambala this year... Not for anything eco, but just to scan you in and out if you wanted to leave the site for whatever reason. I didn't find it to be particularly totalitarian :)

Speaking as someone who’s worked the Glastonbury Ped Gates in the past, we have enough to do to process people already without introducing temperamental scanners for faces and barcodes :lol: Also it’d make the queues take even longer than they already do, which people would absolutely hate, ‘improved security’ or not. Particularly up at Worthy View for example, people who arrived on Wednesday morning would still be being processed on Wednesday evening and into Thursday if you made it any significant degree more complicated. Unless you redesigned the site and doubled the number of Ped gates, but then that’d introduce a ton of other logistical difficulties they can do without, not least with regards to the staffing numbers which are already stretched and they’d struggle to increase without eating into the number of public tickets.

Relatively tiny operations like Shambala just don’t compare to the logistics of checking people into the small city of Glastonbury that we all know and love, unfortunately. We’re already given very strict guidelines on comparing people’s faces to their photos, realistically it’s never going to become any more thorough (let alone electronic) than that.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Here's one for the pot.....

instead of a green bond, Glasto credits.

you take a bag of recycling / rubbish to a collection point and they scan your ticket, you leave the site with a tent and they scan your ticket.

As your ticket is linked to your registration number - the people that are the greenest get access to a pre-sale... 

It's a ridiculous idea that requires a lot of IT to work (it does, trust me) which isn't cheap (it isn't, trust me) and has lots of flaws (how much rubbish counts as worthy of a ticket scan... can I take a can and get a scan or a black bag of rubbish?) .... but putting all that aside.... Your solution is biased towards people who have attended Glastonbury. I presume there's only a limited number of 'green tickets' in the sale (as the alternative is even more absurd) but even if it's only 5,000 then that's 5,000 tickets out of general sale. And just because you recycled, why does that give you preferential treatment over someone who has never attended?

The overwhelming majority of people at Glastonbury recycle and take their tents home. The issue is tackling the small minority. And if they can't be arsed to put rubbish in a bin, they're not going to be arsed to take rubbish to a recycling point to get a ticket scan to have a tiny probability of getting a 'green ticket' in a presale the following year.

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Far more of us (massive obsessive fans of the festival) are staying at home but Cheryl and her mates are all going instead of V this year because one of them posted the ballot email link on their whatsapps group thread called 'love island goss'. They're all getting their eyebrows done especially for it. They then leave Saturday afternoon after Little Mix at the Pyramid because it's a bit cold and Dave's got an important football game in the morning. 

At the moment it is a ballot but weighted slightly to people who care more...(read forums, get tips, re-sales etc).

I do the Wimbledon tickets ballot every year, it's very easy, involves just entering your email address etc. Like Glastonbury, with Wimbledon you can't sell them on, so if I win, I end up going and having a nice time but not particularly desperate to go (sorry Wimbledon fans).

Cheryl and her mates have exactly the same right to go to the festival and leave on a Saturday as you do to stay 5 days. 

I'm not sure what eyebrows and love island have to do with anything unless you're trying to stereotype people and/or letting prejudices shine through. 

I'm not exactly sure what people are expecting for 2020...it's an anniversary and I'm sure the Eavii will put the odd little thing on but i bet you it'll almost certainly be basically the same as any other year. What are people expecting?! They can only book bands that are available and they only have a certain amount of money to spend...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

i think its also the guilt factor people stand out like a sore thumb if they are one of a  few not taking tents home .... I started tidying the general area of our camp last year and it was amazing how few tents were left and people saw me tidying and followed with the sheep effect everybody now knows its not acceptable so cant make those excuses ... I think things like the bottle ban may help as more general tidiness should hopefully filter through ... the other option is if you see shity areas just ask if they need any bin bags no confrontation it just adds a little thought in their heads 

Aye, who needs barcodes when you have good old fashioned guilt!

On a side note, I've never understood it when people just chuck all their rubbish around their tent and basically live in it for five days. Baffling. 

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

They're all getting their eyebrows done especially for it. 

Listen I have to trim my eyebrows or I'd look like Denis Healey (cutting edge cultural reference). I also have to sometimes do nose and ears too, I'm not sure why some of those parts of the body even need hair. 

Apologies for distracting from another enticing thread about purchasing tickets ?

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Fuckin hell Dan. Chill out.

Cheryl’s alright IMHO. She’s got the same right as me to go, if not more so considering how long I’ve been going. 

Plus it might turn her on to some new stuff. 

If not, that’s her bag. 

I hope Cheryl and her mates have a great time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I hope Cheryl does get tickets and I hope it's at your expense. She sounds far less self righteous and pretentious than you do. Plus she's into Little Mix. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I hope Cheryl does get tickets and I hope it's at your expense. She sounds far less self righteous and pretentious than you do. Plus she's into Little Mix. 

Reading it back it does sound awful. I was joking but admit it didn't come across very well! 

I still think it would be a shame to loose the slight edge and make it so easy to have a chance like Wimbledon. 

18 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Perhaps the 500 free tickets for nursing students that they are doing this year could be a starting point.

Problem is, given the time commitment that nursing students make, and given the likely number of them in catchment area, there's a pretty high chance that those tickets are under-subscribed.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Problem is, given the time commitment that nursing students make, and given the likely number of them in catchment area, there's a pretty high chance that those tickets are under-subscribed.

hopefully they will go back in the resale pot or even better they go redo the not so secret secret resale ... this would be a great reward for the extremely keen