Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

26 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

But the sense of entitlement the younger generation of today seems yo have does not work either (I qualify that with having children and seeing their expectations) I don't think glastolover was suggesting anyone be thankful for crumbs, just if you want to go, whatever your income, you work/save for it. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who has worked hard to get to a certain position enjoying that position. It's the equality of people being able to get to that position that needs addressing. Education for example...access to quality teaching, access to higher education, access to apprenticeships that are not used as tax perks and actually pay a proper wage.

Thank you for clarifying that on my behalf unfortunately it has probably fallen on deaf ears as doesn't suit their argument

5 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Fair play for that. My argument would be that I think the point is that Holidays *shouldn't* be a luxury - everyone should have the opportunity to get away from work, experience something new, exposed to cultural activities. That's not the same as saying everyone should be able to go to Hawaii (Though in an ideal world, why not?!). It's a pretty glib mindset to say that the only things that people should be entitled to are things that they'd die without. 

I'm with you on that,I think everyone should have a break but my point is you live within your means and go where you can afford to go

Clearly the solution here is to segregate the festival into a rich side and a poor side a la some versions of the Big Brother house in the 00s 

The rich side will have access to the nicer food, the big name headliners (Led Zepp, Mac and a resurrected Bowie next year) etc. whilst all of the paupers can have the Growler as their only food option, a couple of sets from The Bootleg Beatles and maybe a face painting stand for the kids. They can also "buy in" to the rich side for 20 minutes at a time after working an 8 hour shift in one of the rich service areas. 

5 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

A ferrari and going to glastonbury are not equivalent

To be fair rose cb has used extreme examples with min wage and fat cats.

9 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Fair play for that. My argument would be that I think the point is that Holidays *shouldn't* be a luxury - everyone should have the opportunity to get away from work, experience something new, exposed to cultural activities. That's not the same as saying everyone should be able to go to Hawaii (Though in an ideal world, why not?!). It's a pretty glib mindset to say that the only things that people should be entitled to are things that they'd die without. 

Mobile phones used to be a luxury, now it's a pretty standard expectation. But people budget for it and get what they can afford. I don't see that people would offer to buy or contribute towards lower income people having the latest iPhone, with loads of data etc. So why Glasto ticket, which is less of a necessity?

35 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

Isn't that why we have a tiered income tax system, tax free earning allowances, housing allowances and tax credits for the lower paid?

A system which has been pushed and pushed to breaking point, and gone from something designed to help the poor to something which the government of the day use as an excuse to plunge people into poverty (as as we’re seeing at the moment with the UC crisis). It’s not a sustainable system without major well-intentioned reform.

17 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Yes. As I say, cruel myth dreamt up by self-interested bullshitters.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I agree that people who need help feeding themselves and their families, keeping a roof over their heads and keeping the power and heating on should have more help... but a ticket to a music festival isn't a basic human right or requirement.

I’m not saying it is, I just think it’d be nice if - in line with Glasto’s roots and traditional ethos - richer attendees could be asked to pay a bit more so that poorer people could stop being priced out of going and expressed one way in which the fest might go about ensuring that. That’s it!  

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 minute ago, glastolover19 said:

Why not? They are both classed as luxuries. There is no necessity to have either and as rose boy has said people should pay for things in accordance to how much they earn

Not dying without does not make something a luxury good. Besides, it's not a binary thing. One is an extremely expensive supercar and the other is a 5-day holiday in Somerset. Where do you draw the line? Kid wants to go see his favourite team in premier football match, Make match-day tickets affordable?? Jeeeez why not give everyone a Bugatti Veyron if we're going to do that.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I’m not saying it is, I just think it’d be nice if richer attendees could be asked to pay a bit more so that poorer people could stop being priced out of going and expressed one way in which the fest might go about ensuring that. That’s it!  

You can ask them to pay more but what happens when or if the say no? Do you penalise them?

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

If only working class people didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot by voting tory!

If only the youth who are getting rinsed by Tories would help vote the c**ts out! 

I had no involvement in Brexit as I couldn't vote being Irish. ☹️

7 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Not dying without does not make something a luxury good. Besides, it's not a binary thing. One is an extremely expensive supercar and the other is a 5-day holiday in Somerset. Where do you draw the line? Kid wants to go see his favourite team in premier football match, Make match-day tickets affordable?? Jeeeez why not give everyone a Bugatti Veyron if we're going to do that.

Sorry but can you explain to me then why you consider them differently? To some people a ticket is cheap/expensive as is a Ferrari is to some people. I know it's an extreme example but a Glastonbury ticket is expensive to me,basically a 40+ hour shift

Edited by glastolover19

15 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

You can ask them to pay more but what happens when or if the say no? Do you penalise them?

The chances of there being so few rich people willing to pay whatever it takes (within reason) to get there that retailing some tickets at £450 would stop it from selling out are slim to none. Obviously it’s a gamble and, given the collapsing festival market and how damaging it would reportedly be for Glasto if it failed to sell out even once, it’s not one I can see them taking. But I think it’d work, logistical difficulties notwithstanding.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

10 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

If only the youth who are getting rinsed by Tories would help vote the c**ts out! 

I had no involvement in Brexit as I couldn't vote being Irish. ☹️

if only the Irish citizens living the UK who are eligible to vote had voted it would help vote the c**ts out. ;)

you ARE eligible to vote in all UK elections.

Edited by eFestivals

35 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Again, the idea that minimum wage workers are slouches whilst the fat cats upstairs deserve to be on 10x as much money is a completely ludicrous myth, propagated by the likes of the Daily Mail in an attempt to prevent enough people being unhappy with the unearned extreme wealth enjoyed by the likes of that paper’s proprietor that anything would ever change. It holds no basis in reality and it’s confusing to me that people would seek to trot it out on a Glastonbury forum of all places.

I didn't say this was the case in all situations by the way but it certainly is in some! and why not on a glastonbury forum? I was under the impression Glastonbury was a place for free speech and expression of ideas. Unfortunately the creep of the regressive left may stop that I suppose!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The chances that there are so few rich people willing to pay whatever it takes (within reason) to get there that retailing some tickets at £450 would stop it from selling out are slim to none. Obviously it’s a gamble and, given the collapsing festival market and how damaging it would reportedly be for Glasto if it failed to sell out even once, it’s not one I can see them taking. But I think it’d work, logistical difficulties notwithstanding.

I got to ask then before I comment. what to you is a rich person? Someone with a high paid job? Someone who works stupidly long hours? Someone born into money? Someone who's scrimped and saved all their lives?