Questions for Michael

Crazyfool01

50 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I like the idea of bracketing by income. It’s already common in cultural/arts venues.

Do you mind elaborating on this? Would be interested to hear. I can only envisage that it's voluntary.

In my mind it's an absolute non-starter, let alone difficult. The administrative infrastructure required to audit up to a million people's income... 

I think it would be fair if it was a system where the resale is balloted, or NOT open to more registrations, only open to people who were furiously pressing f5 with no success. 

Ballots for the entire sale give me a deep sense of dread and trigger my control issues. Im too unlucky when it comes to things that involve luck... I would never get to go again. 

11 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I'm from Canada, Id be in the lowest bracket, but the logistics of proving that would be a nightmare.

I’d suggest the system could be applied differently to people registering with non-UK addresses, apart from the fact that’d inherently favour filthy-rich bastards who have second homes in the South of France, Monaco etc. Sure somebody would be able to come up with a way around it if they actually did go with an idea like this though.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

54 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It is. It’d probably be a logistical pain in the ass and require re-registering everyone (again) but if it nudged society (or at least high profile gigs) away from the ridiculously outdated and unfair model of flat one-size-fits-all pricing structures it’d be a good thing in the long run.

There's no chance at all that this will ever become a thing. Its a non starter. What happens if you move up or down in income brackets through the year? People under 18 without Jobs? Someone who just won a million pounds in the lottery?  I don't get why a one-size fits all pricing structure is wrong? We all cant be driving around in Ferraris, living in giant mansions and shopping at all the high end fashion labels and flying around the world. The only way your way would work is if everyone in the world got  paid the same amount but this is never going to be the case. At the end of the day everyone here loves Glastonbury, but its a luxury not a necessity.

GF are not about to start segregating the ticket allocation based on salary. That is utterly absurd and completely at odds with a left wing, inclusive charity. Some of the views on here are starting to have quite a blue tinge. 

Nobody has a right to a ticket more than anyone else. Whether you've done attended 30 or none, everyone has an equal right to attend next year. The Eavii have said they'd like to attract more from a younger, mixed demographic but they've not (and I suspect will not) start deliberately skewing the ticket allocation in their favour. Someone who decides to try for a ticket on the spur of the moment has exactly the same right for a ticket as a group of 40 people who have each attended several times and spent months planning.

A part ballot, I imagine, is exactly what it says it is. Given the grief Emily gets on social media about the perceived 'fairness' of the tickets, I suspect there will still be a general sale and then part of the overall allocation will be held back for a ballot afterwards. Whatever the solution, it's not going to be complex. GF are not about to start chucking money at administering a rules based or eligibility based ballot. The festival sells out every year. They have no need to change the system. The only thing they are probably concerned about is the perceived 'fairness' of the tickets and a random ballot will address that.

It was interesting that the alternative festival has been canned. I suppose it might have been, as some suspected, a well planned ruse to get the local landowners back in line or perhaps they have looked at the current festival landscape and how many are struggling and decided it's not worth the risk.

• Like 1

Verifying everyone's income would be an absolute logistical nightmare. There's two million registrations! And I've never been to anything where what the price you pay is determined by your income. Apart from when there is concession prices for kids, unemployed and pensioners, of course. Plus there's so many variables that affect someone's actual disposable income - the cost of living where you live, whether or not you have kids etc.

On a more serious note, that sounded like a very interesting Q&A. Spreading the post headliner crowds out across the wider site can only be a good thing. Anytime a potential layout change or additional area is mentioned I get very excited, more idle speculation to indulge in and something new to look forward too.

The ballot idea does not sound good but I suspect nothing will come of it or it will be limited in scope if it does get implemented.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I think this is the most likely prospect. First sale is the same as usual, second is a lucky draw. 

It would be good if they could somehow flag only the registrations that had tried and failed in October. Even something as simple as sending out and email after tickets sold out saying "you have 24 hrs to register for the resale ballot". Everyone who had just missed out would for sure, and it would be comforting to know they werent up against people who decide to enter the ballot on a whim at the end of March.

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

It would be good if they could somehow flag only the registrations that had tried and failed in October. Even something as simple as sending out and email after tickets sold out saying "you have 24 hrs to register for the resale ballot". Everyone who had just missed out would for sure, and it would be comforting to know they werent up against people who decide to enter the ballot on a whim at the end of March.

I'd imagine it'd be as it is now. The registration window closes just before the general sale and won't open until after the ballot has taken place. There's no reason to make the ballot weeks or months after the general sale. Balance payments for both would need to be completed by April and then it's the resale.

2 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

On a more serious note, that sounded like a very interesting Q&A. Spreading the post headliner crowds out across the wider site can only be a good thing. Anytime a potential layout change or additional area is mentioned I get very excited, more idle speculation to indulge in and something new to look forward too.

The ballot idea does not sound good but I suspect nothing will come of it or it will be limited in scope if it does get implemented.

lots of speculation here about various things ...They were only talking to See about it ... dont know if this will come to fruition or not , she mentioned nothing relating to incomes apart from the fact they want to keep deposit lower to  enable people to save up 

20 minutes ago, iaintcool said:

?  I don't get why a one-size fits all pricing structure is wrong? 

Because inflation rates being higher than wages are rising means the festival entry price is increasingly impossible to afford for exactly the kind of people Glastonbury was initially supposed to be for? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking people with more money to pay a higher entry fee to subsidise those with less, it’s exactly what a festival which prides itself on being left-wing should be doing.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

tiering by salary is unworkable, how would you prove how much someone earns ?

up till recently I did IT contracting, I had my own business and 'paid' myself a salary of 10K a year. I was earning more than that though (and paid the tax on it!) so I would have been in the cheap bracket, is that fair ?

35 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Do you mind elaborating on this? Would be interested to hear. I can only envisage that it's voluntary.

In my mind it's an absolute non-starter, let alone difficult. The administrative infrastructure required to audit up to a million people's income... 

There are plenty of places which offer jobseekers tickets, which are often less than half the standard price- that's essentially the same thing. Manchester International Festival offers reduced tickets for those on a low income (I think ~£15,000). 

Obviously its all trust based, nobody's going to means test that.  

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh and just another one .... It doesn't look like camplight will be there ... they have there own alternative accommodation in Worthy view 

By "alternative accommodation" do you mean something other than the existing arrangements in Worthy View?  Any idea what's going to happen to the prime camping spot in Pennards?

6 minutes ago, paulshane said:

tiering by salary is unworkable, how would you prove how much someone earns ?

up till recently I did IT contracting, I had my own business and 'paid' myself a salary of 10K a year. I was earning more than that though (and paid the tax on it!) so I would have been in the cheap bracket

Only if they failed to take supplementary income into account, and they obviously wouldn’t be that stupid if they brought something like this in (I’m under no illusions that they’re about to)