Camplight Going Off Site?

Gnomicide

26 minutes ago, timbrass said:

My son has used CampLight twice and it made his Thursday Coach journeys more attractive. Pennards now fills up before Wed anyway from workers putting up tents for their mates. I would support anything that reduces discarded tents. 

worthy  view does exactly that ... so its providing something thats already provided by the festival ... why offer competition to themselves on their own site 

Edited by crazyfool1

12 minutes ago, timbrass said:

Pennards now fills up before Wed anyway from workers putting up tents for their mates.

It really doesn't. The festival actually make an effort to ensure that doesn't happen. This is the webcam taken at 6:20am on the Wednesday morning in 2017, around the time the gates opened, and the public areas of Pennards are basically empty bar camplight. Whereas 2 hours later it's half full.

11 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I think it does the opposite. People can ‘jusify’ leaving their tent because there’s an on site company that explicitly states it recycles tents left behind.

This is a massive assumption, these people are just dickheads and if they're going to leave their tents then they will.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

This is a massive assumption, these people are just dickheads and if they're going to leave their tents then they will.

Oh I know, they'll leave them regardless but I've always thought that when the Eavii give their message about 'take your tent home, they're not donated to charity', the message is undermined by having a company on site who do exactly that. It doesn't give a clear mesage and gives an excuse to the dickheads who can just point to Camplight and say 'leaving it for them'. 

Like they have litter picker's, I think the only way to combat the tent issue is to have volunteers walking round on the Monday, offering to help take people's tents down and assist packing it. It probably won't stop it completely but it might guilt trip a percentage into at least taking it down and packing it. And I think once you've got it packed, most people will then actually take it home.

Somebody on Facebook suggested that the might want to consider changing fields, which got a muted "we'll keep that in mind", but it looks like they're doubling down on their claim on Pennards. Having camped in Pennards three times, I can honestly say I wouldn't have a clue who they are if it wasn't for eFests. There didn't appear to be any "education" going on at all, whatever they mean by that.

I can see why they're passionate about it, but taking a step back, you could argue that what they're actually doing is:

• Exploiting the Festival ethos for profit
  • Occupying general camping land that's within the price of the ticket

I don't think their petition is going to do much good, especially with meaningless statistics like " 88% GENERAL PUBLIC agree that Camplight should get a prime location". Oh, come on. No they don't.

• Like 1

I'd been under the impression that they were a not-for-profit until recently. I've never used them but a friend has and I'd been looking at them as an option for next year. Not cos I want to camp in Pennard's but just to have an easy pitch somewhere and to cut down on gear to be carried. When I poked around their site I discovered they are indeed a for profit and I'd been wrong. That put me off somewhat. Then the flail about not being given 'their' place started.

I have to say, if I were them, I'd have gratefully taken whatever alternative pitch was offered me in '17 rather than attempt to stake claim to Pennard's. That they were allowed to operate within the fence is a massive leg-up and it really doesn't matter where that is. Take it and sssh. Closer to the bus drop off would make more sense anyway. Now it appears they've pushed the goodwill too far.

I've checked out a lot of the camping alternatives for next year in an attempt to make life easier for my old bones. However, no matter how much money I were to throw at it, I've concluded that it wouldn't actually improve my experience. It just changes the problems around. Any of the off-site places would make setting up day and packing up day easier - which is my biggest issue - but also add new annoyances due to the distance (or bloody big hill) between the accommodation and the action. I mean, you can throw many thousands at it and have a comfy bed and access to showers and pamper rooms and all sorts of nonsense gubbins but all that does is keep you fannying around away from the real fun for longer. Or turn it into an expedition when you've left something important in your tent. As frustrating as it is for me personally, it tickles me and feels right that money can't buy you an easy Glasto. So once more I'll be sweating my way across the fields with the other pioneers at gates o' clock, dragging my trolley behind me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 9/30/2018 at 10:59 AM, crazyfool1 said:

I can't  see the point of this being offsite ... the benefit for people is the location and the fact that the tents are already set up ... just increase the size of worthy view if thats going to be the case and return the field to the rest of the punters .... perhaps they can introduce some kind of green scheme similar to worthy warriors for certain areas , but the idea of having a campsite that is right i n the middle and cleaned up easily is loads better and sets an example to others ... Ive not actually taken a look at it before ... but does the same amount of general camping stuff get abandoned at the end ? or is it totally clean apart from the hired tents ? 

WV has already increased significantly in size. I would hazard a guess it will increase in size again this year...

I could be a competition thing but I doubt it, WV sells out almost as fast a ticket day. I would hazard a guess that it is either because they want to keep the area for regular camping (people may have been complaining theres not enough prime space). OR it may have something to do with what Emily said.... there is going to be a new area in the SE corner and changes to the Park, Arcadia and Silver hayes... 

Most likely the latter tbh. 

Edited by Havors

1 minute ago, Havors said:

WV has already increased significantly in size. I would hazard a guess it will increase in size again this year...

I could be a competition thing but I doubt it, WV sells out almost as fast a ticket day. I would hazard a guess that it is either because they want to keep the area for regular camping (people may have been complaining theres not enough prime space). OR it may have something to do with what Emily said.... there is going to be a new area in the SE corner and changes to the Park, Arcadia and Silver hayes... 

Most likely the latter tbh. 

I saw the (camp)light and  changed my opinion on this one after listening to emily 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

no matter how much money I were to throw at it, I've concluded that it wouldn't actually improve my experience.

The Tipi's can come under some fire (I've heard people shout class-centric insults at them from the pathway at the top of Pennards before), but I think credit ought to be given that they haven't turned them into a glamping option. It wouldn't be hard for the Tipi's to be fitted out with bedding equipment and what not, and double in price for a tidy sum in the proverbial back pocket. They've kept them basic, and I think that's to their credit.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

The Tipi's can come under some fire (I've heard people shout class-centric insults at them from the pathway at the top of Pennards before), but I think credit ought to be given that they haven't turned them into a glamping option. It wouldn't be hard for the Tipi's to be fitted out with bedding equipment and what not, and double in price for a tidy sum in the proverbial back pocket. They've kept them basic, and I think that's to their credit.

As someone who has used camplight, and would like to again, I think this is the key feature of camplight too though.   I don't want to glamp, I want to be in the festival and be part of the general camping as much as I can.  Camplight is as close as you can get to that with a pre-pitched tent. 

For the last few festivals our ticket approach is to go for a Thursday coach on the basis that we are more likely to be successful (I would rather be in on a Thursday than not in at all) - the chance of a decent pitch is nil if you are arriving then so camplight has been great for us.  If they move within the site, I would probably still use them (reduces the amount to transport on the coach). but I would never want to camp outside the festival.

They haven't changed my behaviour when it comes to leaving no trace - me and my crew have always taken everything with us - but it doesn't hurt that they promote leaving your pitch clear

• 3 months later...