Camplight Going Off Site?

Gnomicide

I loved staying with them last time, it was super convenient and I would stay with them again but I can’t really think of a valid reason why they should stay. If it’s to encourage people to be tidy campers the top of Pennards is not a good spot as it’s free from heavy footfall so there’s no one to convert, maybe the bottom of Pennards would be better.

Charm x

I have used camplight for the past three festivals and they do keep the area tidy, we had to pay clean area deposits too returned after the event, keiran and his team are there on hand to help out also if you have tent issues and are a good bunch. I would happily use them anywhere inside the festival, the Pennard Hill site is a prime area so can understand people's upset

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

They are moving them to create space for a new installation/area

I love starting rumours :)

might not be far wrong ... isn't arcadia having an internal venue this time ? although might not be quite here .. some reconfiguring might need to happen that side of the railway track 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Where did you hear that? I imagine it'll be the same one as they had at their event in London this year. Was fun but not of the same excitement level as the spider, which I assume will also return to the farm

im sure i saw somewhere that it was coming to the farm also ... dont know where ... im sure someone else can chip in :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there’s been any update on this? I stayed at Camplight in 2015, but the location in Pennard put me off going back. Wouldn’t fancy staying off site, but if they were in a different/quieter location would be ideal for me. Their website doesn’t seem to mention Glastonbury  any more.

1 minute ago, slash's hat said:

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed by Emily and was posted in the questions for Michael thread, I might be wrong though. Pages 5  &6 of that thread are where the answers are. After that it's mostly politics.

They're gone entirely aren't they, rather than just going off-site?

On 9/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

If GLF decided to do it they would. Logistically it is doable. My children have both worked erecting WV tents for years, it is amazing how fast they go up. GFL are the masters of achieving the impossible and there would be plenty of folk that would be willing to do the job. Paid work before and after the festival with 3 meals a day and the Monday to Monday of the festivaloff with a free ticket and a great place to camp with tent, caravan etc. It is actually one of the more sought after crew jobs.

Do you know who to contact about working by erecting WV tents?

They have a petition on the go for anyone who wants to sign it. 

Myself I have never been comfy with it all yeah its great they recycle tents but at the end of the day its for profits. Great business tho reclaim abandoned tents and allow people to travel light and ensure they tidy up afterwards kudos for whoever thought of it 

Edited by Respectfatfrog

6 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

They have a petition on the go for anyone who wants to sign it. 

Myself I have never been comfy with it all yeah its great they recycle tents but at the end of the day its for. Great business tho reclaim abandoned tents and allow people to travel light and ensure they tidy up afterwards kudos for whoever thought of it 

which I dont think is doing them any favours 

1 minute ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Thanks for all updates btw. 

happy to provide the  info ... this site has helped me with tickets on a couple of occasions now ... a few of the questions were put on GC whilst I had gone to double check and write up some of the answers in the pub with a cider ... but the poster was called a lier several times and removed his post,  so hopefully a few people came here to get the info :) 

• Upvote 1

Whatever happened to Michael's dream of a festival made entirely of pre-pitched tents? If I had more money I'd camp in Worthy View to be honest. I have no issue of them taking up what some consider a "prime" spot, it's a shame if they're moved against their will, but really is it THAT much of a big deal? Seems to me that people are paying for a spot in Pennards rather than the opportunity to travel light if they're this bothered.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

If GLF decided to do it they would. Logistically it is doable. My children have both worked erecting WV tents for years, it is amazing how fast they go up. GFL are the masters of achieving the impossible and there would be plenty of folk that would be willing to do the job. Paid work before and after the festival with 3 meals a day and the Monday to Monday of the festivaloff with a free ticket and a great place to camp with tent, caravan etc. It is actually one of the more sought after crew jobs.

You wouldn’t have a contact for WV would you? Have missed out on tickets so am trying to find a way to work it.

thanks!

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Something a bit cloying and whiney about starting up a petition. Why didn't they just move if they are about the ethos? Sounds more like its about the real estate. 

Yeah I agree. When I stayed there, big bonus for me, and others I suspect, was that we were travelling a long way by coach, and not having to humph a tent was a great plus point. Therefore didn’t get the Pennard location one bit. Near the bus station beside Gate A would make way more sense.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Something a bit cloying and whiney about starting up a petition. Why didn't they just move if they are about the ethos? Sounds more like its about the real estate. 

I think they're overplaying their hand. As far as pre-erected tent providers go, they had the most goodwill from me, but I was never going to use them. I'm not signing a petition to stop normal campers from being able to use "their spot".