Glastonbury 2020 ticket application

lmatth8461

Hi all,

I want to try and get into the festival's 50th anniversary, so have registered all my details in preparation.

I have now received the email with details of applying for 2019, and intend trying for a ticket as a dry run , just to get a feel for any issues that might crop up next year when I attempt it for real.

Annoyingly I'm out the evening of October 4th, so I won't be able to try for a coach ticket (which is the most likely option I'll go for when applying for real), so I'll just have to give it a go on the following Sunday.

As I understand it, ticket day follows a schedule every year, so I've marked October 3rd and 6th 2019 in my calendar to ensure no clashes next year, but I just want to confirm something...

Having registered on the site, am I correct in assuming I will receive an email in future every time the tickets go on sale?

Thanks for any info!

Regards,

Lee    

14 minutes ago, lmatth8461 said:

Hi all,

I want to try and get into the festival's 50th anniversary, so have registered all my details in preparation.

I have now received the email with details of applying for 2019, and intend trying for a ticket as a dry run , just to get a feel for any issues that might crop up next year when I attempt it for real.

Annoyingly I'm out the evening of October 4th, so I won't be able to try for a coach ticket (which is the most likely option I'll go for when applying for real), so I'll just have to give it a go on the following Sunday.

As I understand it, ticket day follows a schedule every year, so I've marked October 3rd and 6th 2019 in my calendar to ensure no clashes next year, but I just want to confirm something...

Having registered on the site, am I correct in assuming I will receive an email in future every time the tickets go on sale?

Thanks for any info!

Regards,

Lee    

So you don't want tickets for 2019 but are going to take up space on the servers trying thus tieing things up for those who want them this year and not just for the 50th?

or maybe I read your post wrong. If so I apologise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I believe they send out emails. Or they have done before. Best though just to keep track, on here as good as any as we are obsessed with the Festival.

I love the idea you are having a dry run, that really is planning. Oh and if the gods are smiling on you why not go to the 2019 festival as well. Not sure if you have ever been, reading between the lines I would say no. The Festival is massive, bigger than a tiny humans mind can conceive, so do it in 2019 and you will only see part of it then 2020 you are better prepared and you can see so much more.

Good Luck

Thanks Fred. The dry run is certainly not intended to get in anybody's way, just need to get up to speed with the procedure, just in case there is some element I need to be aware of. I'm sure luck is the overwhelmingly biggest factor, for sure.

Really can't afford to go in 2019, I'm paying off a big debt that won't be cleared until the end of next year, unfortunately. 

I have indeed attended many times in the past...virtually every one between 1983 and 2003.

I couldn't get a sniff of a ticket in 2004 or 2005, and haven't tried since then. I have a feeling the 50th anniversary will be pretty special though, so I thought I would try one last time....

Lee 

if your doing a dry-run do it on both sales thurs/sun and have a packet capture program running in the background (like wireshark) so you can analyse what's going on rather than just looking at web pages...

You could always bag a ticket (it's only £20 lost if you cancel it) in case you have more funds come April, and you can do Glasto on the cheap if you are prepared to carry a load of food/drink with you, you could do it for no more than the ticket price and parking ticket price.

Also if you leave late Monday you could pick up a few left-behind tents and get a free upgrade for 2020 (or sell them on eBay to make a few quid).

23 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Have you used Wireshark before when applying for Glasto tickets ?

Yes - I always run it against the coach sales so I can get the ip-addresses of the back-end servers in case they come in handy for main sale.

I'm baffled why you would want to clog up the system when people are genuinely trying to get tickets to attend this year. If you just want to see the layout of the ticket page for reference there are a number of posts which show what you will see for inputting details and any amount of advice and screenshots. 

Why don't you just look at this thread and leave ticket day to those who actually are wanting to attend? 

Predictably didn't get anywhere further than the waiting page, but definitely worth doing.

Useful information and hints from everybody are very welcome and much appreciated, but a number of lessons were learnt for my specific setup. 

Amazingly I seemed to have most success using Tor ?...bouncing around Europe actually got me onto the waiting page (none of the other browsers did)...and once I had a waiting page, cutting and pasting that into another tab also took me straight to a waiting page.

Chrome didn't even get me to a waiting page, while IE and Edge were a waste of time.

No way would I have known about this if I hadn't tried it myself. Generic tips are certainly worth heeding, but nobody else has my PC and my connection. Given today's experience (hardly a surprise) doesn't give me much hope for next year, but I maintain luck is 95% of it...but it's sure worth being prepared.

Commiserations to anyone that didn't get through today, I know the feeling only too well, and will probably be in the same boat next year.

Lee 

This is awful... If you had got through 'just to test things out' you would have cost one person booking for themselves or possibly 6, their tickets. You can justify your reasons for doing it all day long. But unless you were actually attempting to buy tickets then there is no justification for you clicking into the sales page other than out of pure selfishness...

5 hours ago, lmatth8461 said:

Predictably didn't get anywhere further than the waiting page, but definitely worth doing.

Useful information and hints from everybody are very welcome and much appreciated, but a number of lessons were learnt for my specific setup. 

Amazingly I seemed to have most success using Tor ?...bouncing around Europe actually got me onto the waiting page (none of the other browsers did)...and once I had a waiting page, cutting and pasting that into another tab also took me straight to a waiting page.

Chrome didn't even get me to a waiting page, while IE and Edge were a waste of time.

No way would I have known about this if I hadn't tried it myself. Generic tips are certainly worth heeding, but nobody else has my PC and my connection. Given today's experience (hardly a surprise) doesn't give me much hope for next year, but I maintain luck is 95% of it...but it's sure worth being prepared.

Commiserations to anyone that didn't get through today, I know the feeling only too well, and will probably be in the same boat next year.

Lee 

As someone who's been plenty before, you really ought to realise it's for nothing. 

What works this year may not work next year, as you'll see from hundreds of posts here from folks who have been disappointed today. Indeed plenty found that something worked Thursday and not today. 

6 hours ago, lmatth8461 said:

Lee 

Sadly Lee I think the only lesson you have learnt today is how hard it is to get to tickets. Tor getting you to the holding page is no big deal and gives little guarantee of a successful repeat. More like luck. Tens perhaps hundreds of thousands got to the holding page but no further. Beyond that thousands and thousands were defeated by registration confirmation and payment pages which hung, failed to complete and/or timed out. Getting tickets has become one huge lottery and if you read other pages you will find examples where only 10 out of a hundred persons trying actually got tickets

I wish you well for your ambitions in 2020, however hope to go and do not plan to go until a ticket has been secured. And you never know, if the line up fails to excite and the weather gods turn nasty, we my may yet get a return  to the halcyon days when it took hours ( or even a day or so two) for tickets to sell out. Personally I don't think it will happen again due to the advent of deposit October/Large balance April system?

23 hours ago, lmatth8461 said:

You've just discovered both the supposed advantage of using Tor, and also the massive disadvantage.

Because your traffic is constantly being re-routed, as far as the ticket servers are concerned, you're essentially connecting with a new session each time which may give you a slightly increased chance of making that initial connection just on the basis that it's different. However the problem is that when you try to proceed any further, you're once again seen as a new connection and so you've lost your spot - as you found.

• 5 months later...
36 minutes ago, zico martin said:

My wife needs to book her holidays for next year now, do we know the likely dates for the 2020 festival?

Glastonbury is traditionally held on the first full weekend after the summer solstice. In 2020 the summer solstice falls on Saturday 20th June so if things follow tradition the festival will run  from Wednesday 23rd June til Sunday 27th June inclusive.....However I am not aware of any official confirmation of these dates.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Glastonbury is traditionally held on the first full weekend after the summer solstice. In 2020 the summer solstice falls on Saturday 20th June so if things follow tradition the festival will run  from Wednesday 23rd June til Sunday 27th June inclusive.....However I am not aware of any official confirmation of these dates.

Shouldn’t that be Weds 24th June to Sunday 28th June 2020? I’m just looking at doing the same thing (booking A/L from work) on the off-chance I get a ticket for next year ?

4 hours ago, missnutmeg said:

Shouldn’t that be Weds 24th June to Sunday 28th June 2020? I’m just looking at doing the same thing (booking A/L from work) on the off-chance I get a ticket for next year ?

I stand corrected lol...thanks.....had a brain cell moment ?