Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

I think you're underestimating them.....their march/april tour is completely sold out as far as I'm aware (and tickets went QUICK), including 3 nights at the Electric Ballroom so in total a similar capacity to Brixton.

I'm not saying I think Idles will headline Green Man, but the festival obviously wants to promote upcoming artists such as King Gizzard, and I would say a homegrown act such as Idles would fill that quota.

Edited by Sean1234321

With Idles' stature they could please a lot of people as a sub or Far Out headliner, or possibly even Thursday headliner. They won't headline outright, but they're a bit of a cult phenomenon right now and will go down really well at Green Man. King Gizz aren't as big as War On Drugs or Fleet Foxes, but they still won the in no way mathematically reliable prize of most t-shirts I saw people wearing that weekend.

My guess right now would be First Aid Kit, The National, Father John Misty headlining, with John Hopkins headlining Thursday.

Just now, lessthanwill1 said:

It comes from a twitter reply the fest made to someone asking about the line up where they wrote "hopefully it will be JOY ous". 

And this is coming from a fest that are quite forthcoming when it comes to saying who won't be playing (e.g. this year they've said Courtney Barnett, Spiritualised and Parquet Courts won't be there). 

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

King Gizzard sold out Brixton, not sure if IDLES are quite there yet?

Yeah Gizz sold that out in minutes, and usually (apart from last year) the headliners sometimes aren’t even playing a venue that big. No idea why they now mean anyone can headline lol.

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

With Idles' stature they could please a lot of people as a sub or Far Out headliner, or possibly even Thursday headliner. They won't headline outright, but they're a bit of a cult phenomenon right now and will go down really well at Green Man. King Gizz aren't as big as War On Drugs or Fleet Foxes, but they still won the in no way mathematically reliable prize of most t-shirts I saw people wearing that weekend.

My guess right now would be First Aid Kit, The National, Father John Misty headlining, with John Hopkins headlining Thursday.

Still with the First Aid Kit???? :P

Anyway I think now Metronomy seem to taking reduced billings, I could see them doing Thursday. Could still headline a main day I suppose but I’m not counting on it.

26 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is Jon Hopkins not bigger than First Aid Kit and FJM?

50 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

It comes from a twitter reply the fest made to someone asking about the line up where they wrote "hopefully it will be JOY ous". 

That was me ?

Maybe they wouldn't hint so obviously if they were a main stage headliner? Could be in the tent? But definitely a strong band to have on the line up.

Green Man have liked a Richard E Grant tweet, Withnail to headline?

21 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Is Jon Hopkins not bigger than First Aid Kit and FJM?

I wouldn't say so, there's probably not much in it, but where the Green Man audience is concerned FAK and Papa John are more standard main stage headliner options whereas John fits stylistically in more with cats like Leftfield and Badbadnotgood who've headlined the Thursday.

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah Gizz sold that out in minutes, and usually (apart from last year) the headliners sometimes aren’t even playing a venue that big. No idea why they now mean anyone can headline lol.

Still with the First Aid Kit???? :P

Anyway I think now Metronomy seem to taking reduced billings, I could see them doing Thursday. Could still headline a main day I suppose but I’m not counting on it.

Metronomy would be a great Thursday act

1 hour ago, Happyboypricey said:

That was me ?

Maybe they wouldn't hint so obviously if they were a main stage headliner? Could be in the tent? But definitely a strong band to have on the line up.

Nice!

Perhaps not. I think they'd be perfect headlining the Far Out tent/Thursday night headliner but don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for them to headline despite them being a lot "heavier" than your average Green Man headliner. 

22 hours ago, Chawk said:

Yeah, I'm not banking on anyone except Idles

They've  said  about getting ready to 'unearth' the line up, which sounds like a clue. And maybe related to 'keeping ears to the ground'. Right?

Only thing I can think of is the Nick Cave album 'Dig, Lazarus, Dig' - not much to go on though! 

• Upvote 1