Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

How nice was it to wake up to sun! Should sort out the mud. Today and tomorrow are ‘moderate breezes’ so zero chance of site closures, which was always a massive stretch - it was last weekend that had the extreme weather. 

I've no idea where you're getting your forecasts from, or the need to argue about something you don't understand. 2-6pm tomorrow still has gusts forecast above the safe limit for stage closures, but not site closures. We were very fortunate yesterday that the two bands of most severe weather passed either side and the hills gave us some protection. Hopefully they do again tomorrow, but a tiny change in direction could change that. The gusts have only stayed just below 30 mph so far.

I'm afraid the weather doesn't work such that there can't be two stormy weekends in a row. (In fact, the opposite is more and more true these days with the warming poles and weakened jet stream resulting in the Atlantic storm track meandering much more than previously.)

On a much more positive note, the festival has been epic despite the rain and mud! Khruangbin, Peaness, Amadou and Mariam and Audiobooks the highlights so far for me. 

30 minutes ago, JHad said:

I've no idea where you're getting your forecasts from, or the need to argue about something you don't understand. 2-6pm tomorrow still has gusts forecast above the safe limit for stage closures, but not site closures. We were very fortunate yesterday that the two bands of most severe weather passed either side and the hills gave us some protection. Hopefully they do again tomorrow, but a tiny change in direction could change that. The gusts have only stayed just below 30 mph so far.

I'm afraid the weather doesn't work such that there can't be two stormy weekends in a row. (In fact, the opposite is more and more true these days with the warming poles and weakened jet stream resulting in the Atlantic storm track meandering much more than previously.)

On a much more positive note, the festival has been epic despite the rain and mud! Khruangbin, Peaness, Amadou and Mariam and Audiobooks the highlights so far for me. 

You’re completely deluded if you think this has been or will be a windy festival. There hasn’t been wind even vaguely close enough to shut stages as you have been predicting for weeks.

Weather forecasters can’t predict the level of gust a week ahead of time. Hell, they can’t even predict the basics, as today has proven which has been wonderful despite the previously gloomy forecast.

Your faith in long term forecasts is misplaced.

i do agree with your last point though!

• Like 2

If anybody is cataloguing every time Will Toledo wears his weird pants, he was at it again last night. Top quality content.

When they did the bangers it was great, but I'm unsure about those new songs and please just leave the Stevie Wonder cover at home and do Something Soon ffs. Kinda makes it sound like I didn't enjoy it, I did tho.

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If anybody is cataloguing every time Will Toledo wears his weird pants, he was at it again last night. Top quality content.

When they did the bangers it was great, but I'm unsure about those new songs and please just leave the Stevie Wonder cover at home and do Something Soon ffs. Kinda makes it sound like I didn't enjoy it, I did tho.

thought the weird pants were a one off when I saw him in Bristol last year 

I enjoyed the cover, little slow at the start 

as someone who's seen him twice before play almost entirely hits, it was fun to just hear whatever really, didn't come in with any expectations or songs I wanted to hear cause I felt like I'd heard all favourites before, new stuff sounds great too 

20 hours ago, xxialac said:

You’re completely deluded if you think this has been or will be a windy festival. There hasn’t been wind even vaguely close enough to shut stages as you have been predicting for weeks.

Weather forecasters can’t predict the level of gust a week ahead of time. Hell, they can’t even predict the basics, as today has proven which has been wonderful despite the previously gloomy forecast.

Your faith in long term forecasts is misplaced.

i do agree with your last point though!

It's not been windy in the sense of a winter storm, but we've been within a couple of mph of precautionary gust-induced stage closures (which is all I ever suggested we were in danger of). Hopefully this afternoon stays under too, but it's getting gusty now as predicted. It's going to a couple of mph either way. 

I'm delighted with my forecast 10 days ago and hope it helped some people pack/plan for Friday's rain, but there's a good reason why I didn't include wind predictions - the site has very specific local conditions. 

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the festival. 

5 hours ago, JHad said:

It's not been windy in the sense of a winter storm, but we've been within a couple of mph of precautionary gust-induced stage closures (which is all I ever suggested we were in danger of). Hopefully this afternoon stays under too, but it's getting gusty now as predicted. It's going to a couple of mph either way. 

I'm delighted with my forecast 10 days ago and hope it helped some people pack/plan for Friday's rain, but there's a good reason why I didn't include wind predictions - the site has very specific local conditions. 

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the festival. 

Yeah we came so close to Green Man shutting down stages this weekend because of the extreme wind, you keep telling yourself that. And well done on your forecast,  you’re right to pay yourself on the back - everyone on here would have come in the wrong gear without your help.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

How was Sharon? Did she play love more??

Also I’m hearing very good things about the Ezra Collective set...anyone see it?

She was wonderful. Unfortunately I'm horrifically bad at song titles so I can't help you there.

At services now on the way home. Sacrificed my beloved Nilüfer for an easy exit from Orange.

A truly wonderful festival though. Musically it was more consistently excellent than any other festival I've been too.

Lotta love in my heart for this weekend. See you all next year x

• Like 1

Just got to my tent. Was planning on Deptford Northern Soul but I’m destroyed after Idles. Was hotter and crazier than the Park Stage. SVE was so intense; beautiful set. Think I’ve got a new favourite band; Pottery. Saw them in the old Rough Trade tent. So glad I picked up a ticket to see them in Tuesday in Southampton. It’s been a brilliant festival, loved every minute, even Friday. Need to come next year. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SighMo said:

Just got to my tent. Was planning on Deptford Northern Soul but I’m destroyed after Idles. Was hotter and crazier than the Park Stage. SVE was so intense; beautiful set. Think I’ve got a new favourite band; Pottery. Saw them in the old Rough Trade tent. So glad I picked up a ticket to see them in Tuesday in Southampton. It’s been a brilliant festival, loved every minute, even Friday. Need to come next year.

We missed Pottery in favour of Liminanas because we're going to the gig in Southampton on Tuesday. Maybe see you there!

What a festival that was. So much good music and a ridiculous amount of lovely people. I'd write more now but will save that for later once the tent is packed away and we're on the road out.

Our whole family had an absolutely incredible time. Green Man we love you.

Recency bias, but I think that might have been my favourite all round of the seven GMs I've been to.

Highlights, in no particular order: SvE, Big Thief, Gwenno, Stereolab, Stella Donnelly, TVAM, Tiny Ruins, Julia Jacklin, Idles, Dry Cleaning, Pozi, Peaness, the partial clashing sets of both Hand Habits and Eels, still being able to wear trainers on Saturday and Sunday without getting them all that muddy, the GM shop live area, the projections in the woods, the raspberry bakewell tart from the small new stall in the GM Radio studio area. Just missed a secret Jarvis DJ set in Round The Twist on Saturday (although admittedly I didn't know it was him until much later)

Back home, unpacked and showered after a surprisingly quick exit this morning.

Absolutely brilliant festival. The work that goes on behind the scenes to make it run so smoothly is phenomenal. I bow down to everyone involved and thank them so much for their efforts. 

Highlights:

Four Tet - I absolutely loved it. One bloke on that massive stage is not much to look at but his set was sublime and went by in a flash.

Idles - perfect band to close the weekend especially as half of the population of Bristol seemed to be at Green Man. 

Pigsx7 - Best noise of the weekend for me. Loved it and can't wait to see them again at EOTR.

Stereolab - Gorgeous set.

Bodega - such fun, a real party atmosphere.

Dry Cleaning - took a couple of songs to get into them but ended up having a great time.

Black Country New Road - Sounded amazing despite looking like they didn't want to be there and barely cracking a smile between them in what was probably the biggest crowd they've ever played to in the Far Out.

Yak - mental

Liminanas - so enjoyable, and in contrast to BCNR they were having a whale of a time. Glorious cover of Gloria too.

Scalping - caught the last half an hour of their set which blew me away.

The people - 99.99% of them were lovely and contribute to a safe, friendly environment where kids can play and be themselves. I can't begin to describe what a good time ours had. The 13yo most definitely just had the best week of his life.

The beer and food. My liver is definitely grateful to be home!

The proper stage by Green Man Records was a great addition, although I spectacularly managed to miss seeing any bands play on it.

Lowlights:

Friday's weather didn't wreck the site as I thought it might but was still a bit annoying. Seemed to have some effect on stage times as Far Out and Walled Garden were both running late, although presumably having to crowbar in an extra act to the Far Out complicated things somewhat. I ended up missing the last half of Snapped Ankles because I was so knackered.

Tiny Rebel running out of beer far too early.

The couple in the tent next to us constantly  arguing all week. 

Missing some bands due to clashes, such as Jesca Hoop, Stella Donnelly, White Fence.

Were there more people or does everyone just have 3 event shelters each these days? Settlement/Family was absolutely rammed by Thursday when in previous years there's still been room on Friday.

There's probably more I forgot.

8 hours ago, benali said:

We missed Pottery in favour of Liminanas because we're going to the gig in Southampton on Tuesday. Maybe see you there!

What a festival that was. So much good music and a ridiculous amount of lovely people. I'd write more now but will save that for later once the tent is packed away and we're on the road out.

Our whole family had an absolutely incredible time. Green Man we love you.

I was prepared to miss Pottery over the Liminanas but found out about the 7pm set in the small record tent. Worked out great. Liminanas were incredibly good, often with a Brian Jonestown vibe who I love. 

See you at Heartbreakers.