Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Does Quiet camping get rammed? Seems to be right by the entrance from Orange Car Park on the map?

I thought settlers camping turned into quiet camping one everyone turned up on Thursday, that's what I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion!

Having looked at the map on the last page I see that it is by orange car park but have no idea how busy it gets.

If you turn up and the quiet campsite is rammed but want somewhere quiet that definitely has a bit of space then the settlers field is worth a go if you want to walk that far.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Do we think, if Green Man was this weekend, it would be cancelled? I would assume not, after being in some really rough weather under Sugarloaf Mountain in the past. And I'd assume the GM peeps would have tons of contingency plans to cope.....but, what with Boardmasters & Houghton cancelled....I wonder....

Well, yes if there are very high winds. People died at Pukkelpop a few years ago. No contingency can cope with extreme winds. 

• Upvote 1

I agree @xxialac you can’t do anything about winds like that.  BBC forecasting 40mph winds, a lot of temporary structures can’t handle that which makes it dangers for people on the site. The lightning would possibly cause stages to close down too. Lucky for us and GM it is the weekend before.

Just soggy ground to worry about now

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I agree @xxialac you can’t do anything about winds like that.  BBC forecasting 40mph winds, a lot of temporary structures can’t handle that which makes it dangers for people on the site. The lightning would possibly cause stages to close down too. Lucky for us and GM it is the weekend before.

Just soggy ground to worry about now

Yeah, totally agree. It's all theoretical anyway. Roll on next week!

I don't think they'd have any choice but to cancel, if winds were forecast to be above a certain level. This will be my first GM - does the topography tend to protect the site from the worst winds, or is there a funnelling effect from any particular direction?

It is still a long way out for the weekend, although the Settlers should gain confidence in forecasts at this point. Looking at the available model output, Tuesday and overnight into Wednesday looks to have the worst conditions of the week, with the centre of a low pressure passing over north Wales and bringing moderately strong winds and approximately 25-30 mm of rain. Beyond that there is lower confidence, although pencil Friday in for potentially similar conditions to Tuesday if a second low develops as some models are currently suggesting. There looks to be the potential for moderate showers to form through the rest of the weekend, with Thursday currently looking the 'best' (least wet) day, with the possibility of more persistent drizzle developing for pack-up on Monday morning (although this really is a LONG way off in UK meteorological terms). *subject to change, certainly from midweek onwards!

53 minutes ago, benali said:

I thought settlers camping turned into quiet camping one everyone turned up on Thursday, that's what I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion!

Having looked at the map on the last page I see that it is by orange car park but have no idea how busy it gets.

If you turn up and the quiet campsite is rammed but want somewhere quiet that definitely has a bit of space then the settlers field is worth a go if you want to walk that far.

Nice one. I've got no problem with a little trek so sounds good to me.

22 minutes ago, Han-Tyumi said:

So... are any stages in a tent? 

Yes, Far Out is a massive tent, Chai Wallahs is also a tent but smaller.  The others you're left to the elements so go prepared is all I can say!

Boardmasters is right on the coast on the edge of a cliff so they'd have got the full force of the wind coming off of the open sea; not very nice. Although, I'd think gale force winds funneling down the Valley at GM wouldn't be much different.

Last years  event management plan that I posted somewhere up thread has a chapter on wind in case you’v interested 

An anemometer shall be placed on the Mountain Stage to monitor wind speeds.
• Noted wind speeds are three (3) second gusts.
• When wind speeds are expected to exceed 20 mph: A team of qualified personnel shall be put on alert. All necessary personnel shall be in place and put on standby. The team will include members of the Saftey Team, Site Crew, Decor Crew and the Emergency Team. The team will be responsible for briefing crew, contractors and stallholders, to secure their areas and to take down and remove vunerable structures. The team will also secure equipment and to take down and remove vunerable structures where necessary.
• When wind speeds exceed 30 mph:
Show Stop All show operations entertainment shall be suspended and the general public evacuated from in-front of stages, stalls, trees and marquees. To a distance of at least twice the height of the structures.
• When wind speeds are expected to exceed 40 mph:
Event Evacuation All audience and personnel including stage hands and crew should be evacuated from the entertainment areas, into the campsites and car parks.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Which playlist do you use out of interest?

Hi. Own one on Spotify. Basically the official one with some stuff i didnt like taken off (mostly FJM!) and extra tracks added from a few others.

Try and get it to about the length of the journey which is 3hrs+ for us. Been enjoying and copying a few bits from the one that i think is yours today tho?

29 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Last years  event management plan that I posted somewhere up thread has a chapter on wind in case you’v interested 

"An anemometer shall be placed on the Mountain Stage to monitor wind speeds. 
• Noted wind speeds are three (3) second gusts.
• When wind speeds are expected to exceed 20 mph: A team of qualified personnel shall be put on alert. All necessary personnel shall be in place and put on standby. The team will include members of the Saftey Team, Site Crew, Decor Crew and the Emergency Team. The team will be responsible for briefing crew, contractors and stallholders, to secure their areas and to take down and remove vunerable structures. The team will also secure equipment and to take down and remove vunerable structures where necessary.
• When wind speeds exceed 30 mph:
Show Stop All show operations entertainment shall be suspended and the general public evacuated from in-front of stages, stalls, trees and marquees. To a distance of at least twice the height of the structures.
• When wind speeds are expected to exceed 40 mph:
Event Evacuation All audience and personnel including stage hands and crew should be evacuated from the entertainment areas, into the campsites and car parks."

There looks to be a fair likelihood of at least the second of those limits being exceeded by gusts on Tuesday. For the weekend, I'll wait until next week before making predictions as those forecasts are tending to change with every model run at the moment (hence the constantly changing forecasts that people are seeing on apps). The overall pattern though is definitely unsettled. 

A lot will depend on the positioning of the anemometer in relation to structures and surrounding terrain, which I imagine will already be up and being used to compare current forecasts with what is actually experienced on site to use as reference for next weekend.

As discussed by a few people above, the predicted gusts for this weekend (clarification: not GM weekend!!) against this plan would lead to no music at all on Saturday and Sunday with tomorrow borderline too, Let's hope that next weekend is better than that!

Met Office's long range national prediction encompassing next weekend:

low pressure close to the UK is likely to maintain unsettled conditions, with some prolonged spells of rain followed by periods scattered, heavy and sometimes thundery showers. Any drier intervals are likely to be short lived. It will often be windy, with a low risk of coastal gales at times, most likely in the north and east. Temperatures will be mostly near to average through the period, or slightly below average at times.

Wind prediction for this Saturday is maximum 45mph.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Wellies or boots? How muddy does it get down the valley?

Boots.  Surely wellies are only required in standing water?  Only been to GM twice before so I'll defer to veterans, but the impression I get is it doesn't get that bad.  Worst festival mud I've ever seen definitely at Glasto 2016.  Even then I didn't need wellies.  

3 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Wellies or boots? How muddy does it get down the valley?

As others have said boots will be fine. There's boarded walkways through a lot of the campsite and concrete paths in places.

Even when it's rained quite a bit the site holds up pretty well. I think it was 2007 when it absolutely lumped it down and the place turned into a quagmire but it's a very slickly run operation these days.