Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

So, I'm coming down to Green Man on my own this year for the first time (been several times before with other folk, but not for a few years). However, I can't get there until Friday around lunchtime. I have pretty a small tent but will it be hard to find a decent pitch? Also, hoping to camp in a more lively area, any suggestions?

A forum meet for solo campers sounds good, but sadly I'll miss that with arriving a day late.

Edited by StevoLancs

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@lessthanwill1 can I request the percentages for Father John Misty and Nilufer Yanya, pretty please? I'm looking at that list and I'm perplexed as to how Father John Misty is Father-gone missing.

Father John with 37.26% of the vote in 17th place. 

Nilufer getting seriously overlooked with 13.96% in 60th place, although I imagine that has got something to do with Idles and Father John being very popular. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Father John with 37.26% of the vote in 17th place. 

Nilufer getting seriously overlooked with 13.96% in 60th place, although I imagine that has got something to do with Idles and Father John being very popular. 

Thanks. I am surprised then at the lack of numbers for Father John - arguably the marquee headline name. Obviously Idles are about the biggest act at the festival now but I thought with [my idea of] Green Man people that Papa would be doing better. Not really surprised by Nilufer's score; it's a busy night.

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Spell binding live acts: Already got Idles and Sharon at the top of my list (seen both before) and heard great things about Car Seat Headrest. 

Anyone else on the bill got a reputation for being especially ace live?

Father John Misty, Stereolab, Big Thief, Black Country New Road, Aldous Harding, Ezra Collective, Kokoko and TVAM have all been very good when I've seen them. 

1 hour ago, PresentlyTense said:

Reckon there's any chance of them following in Truck's footsteps and moving IDLES to the main stage? Could be a pretty packed tent! 

Yeah I wonder how the tent at Truck compares size wise with the Far Out Stage. I imagine it’s something the GM team will have looked at and will continue to consider. I would have thought FJM is a big enough draw to mitigate any danger but who knows...they’re far more popular than any band that’s played the Far Out tent (to my knowledge at least!). 

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Spell binding live acts: Already got Idles and Sharon at the top of my list (seen both before) and heard great things about Car Seat Headrest. 

Anyone else on the bill got a reputation for being especially ace live?

Squid look fantastic from videos I’ve watched but never them personally. Think that will be a really fun set with the more intimate crowd in the walled garden.

Stella Donnelley was amazing last year. Really good crowd interaction and an amazing voice. 

Stereolab are looking better and better with each performance it seems. The Pitchfork Festival set looked great. I am so excited to see them! 

3 hours ago, PresentlyTense said:

Reckon there's any chance of them following in Truck's footsteps and moving IDLES to the main stage? Could be a pretty packed tent! 

I think Idles were playing a ‘special afternoon slot’ there so there wasn’t much in the way of competition in the afternoon and the whole festival would have been there. Headlining a stage is much different.

Personally not a fan of ‘upgrading’ placings - sacrifices atmosphere for the benefit of folk who don’t think to plan ahead.

18 minutes ago, rug568 said:

I'm not sure the people that use clashfinder three months out from the festival, when we don't even know the actual stage times, are overly representative of the festival 

The person who made the clash finder did it after the stage splits had come out at the start of this month. I don’t think that’s too premature.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The person who made the clash finder did it after the stage splits had come out at the start of this month. I don’t think that’s too premature.

My point was that I think people are putting too much weight behind the clashfinder statistics of bands people are planning to see, in that people that use the clashfinder so far in advance are probably major festival nerds like us, and therefore only represent a small percentage of the GM punters 

Edited by rug568
  • Upvote 1

I think Idles are too big for the tent. Personally, I would swap Eels’ mountain slot for Idles’ Far Out. Don’t suppose it will happen though so probably leave SVE’s set a bit early, grab a beer and get deep into the tent for Idles. I have seen them live before and they are very impressive. 

43 minutes ago, rug568 said:

My point was that I think people are putting too much weight behind the clashfinder statistics of bands people are planning to see, in that people that use the clashfinder so far in advance are probably major festival nerds like us, and therefore only represent a small percentage of the GM punters 

Definitely agree. Would be useful if the data stated how many people were actually using it. 

1 hour ago, rug568 said:

Well yeah I don’t think anybody should use it as genuine proportional representation but I think it gives a pretty good idea. I wouldn’t actually think any headliner at any festival is gonna get less than the acts playing opposite but that seems to be the case for all Mountain Stage headliners, but. It still gives a decent picture of which smaller stage acts are gonna be heaving.

18 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Definitely agree. Would be useful if the data stated how many people were actually using it. 

It does, somewhere.