Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

So I've been going through some of the new additions to the line up: 

Snapped Ankles and Say Sue Me I knew pretty well already. Snapped Ankles will almost certainly be a highlight in the same slot as last year. Would definitely recommend going to see them. Really like Say Sue Me (check out "Good for Some Reason" and "Old Town" for starters) - very chilled, dream/indie pop - for fans of Alvvays, Hatchie, Jay Som etc. 

Pretty sure I saw Villagers years ago - don't really do much for me. 

As for the bands/artists I wasn't familiar with:

Lamb: wow! I've never head of them before but they sound incredible. "Gabriel" and "Gorecki" are some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Sound quite a lot like Portishead. Will definitely be checking them out more. Saturday night is just as good as Sunday night for sure. Stereolab, Car Seat Headrest, Jesca Hoop, Scalping, Four Tet, Lamb, The Comet is Coming - don't know how I'm going to decide between all of that. 

Self Esteem: heard lots of positive stuff about her but not listened before. Sounds great! Loving "The Best" a lot - that is a seriously good tune. Will be great come Sunday morning i reckon. 

These New Puritans: i remember when "We Want War" came out and I really didn't like it so I've never bothered to listen to them. Not totally convinced on the vocals but I definitely think i need to explore them in more detail. Really like "Organ Eternal" and "Fragment Two" so far. The new(ish) album also sounds good on first listen.

Squirrel Flower: really like "Conditions" and "Not Your Prey" (how much does this song sound like Mitski!?) but I'm slightly worried how this will go down on the Mountain Stage...think I may stick with TVAM tbh who i'm really enjoying. 

The Intergalactic Republic of Kongo: they don't have much music out by the looks of it. There are a few live recordings on youtube which look like a lot of fun! 

None of the others have really jumped out at me yet and could probably do with not finding any more people I want to see at this point! 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SeaBear said:

Guys! I really want 3 tickets to this festival! Any idea where I can start looking? 

Twickets. More should become available closer to the festival gets as people suddenly can't make it for whatever reason. 

Gumtree also worth a look a couple of weeks before. I've had success with festival tickets on both sites. 

55 minutes ago, benali said:

Twickets. More should become available closer to the festival gets as people suddenly can't make it for whatever reason. 

Gumtree also worth a look a couple of weeks before. I've had success with festival tickets on both sites. 

Thanks! hope to see y'all there 

8 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

None of the others have really jumped out at me yet and could probably do with not finding any more people I want to see at this point! 

Chelou is pretty good, played GM a few times now starting on the Rising stage. 

On 7/7/2019 at 10:45 PM, Chawk said:

Chelou is pretty good, played GM a few times now starting on the Rising stage. 

Thanks! Did actually listen to a few of his songs thought they were pretty good - he’s got a huge amount of views on a lot of them? Is he quite famous in a particular place or something? 

17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Only just learned about and listened to Julia Jacklin's first album Don't Let The Kids Win this morning. Fuck me that album is sensational. She's incredible, I can't wait to see what she's like live.

Yeah Motherland is incredible! She’ll be a real highlight! Hopefully no overlap with The Beths. 

On 7/8/2019 at 2:32 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Only just learned about and listened to Julia Jacklin's first album Don't Let The Kids Win this morning. Fuck me that album is sensational. She's incredible, I can't wait to see what she's like live.

I saw her on the tour for the first album a couple of times (Shepherds Bush and Field Day) and she was great. Always a good sign when the audience is respectful during the quieter songs - especially in London!

7 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Yeah Motherland is incredible! She’ll be a real highlight! Hopefully no overlap with The Beths. 

The Beths and Durand Jones could be a nasty clash too. Another one for me is Stella Donnelly, The Big Moon and Beabadoobee. I think some of my choices this year will be based on the fact that I love the Walled Garden stage on a sunny day. 

Also - I caught Self Esteem at Field Day 2018 and All Points East last month and they were great. They really felt like a band on the rise at the later.

I'm a big fan of Rebecca's previous band Slow Club (In Waves is such a good track) and her old band mate Charles Watson has appeared in a variety of guises at Green Man in recent years (solo, The Surfing Magazines and in Sweet Baboo's band). There's a documentary about their break up but I've not managed to track it down anywhere: 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/09/our-most-brilliant-friends-slow-club-documentary-piers-dennis

With Self Esteem you get the impression she is producing the music she has always wanted to make.

3 minutes ago, Happyboypricey said:

The Beths and Durand Jones could be a nasty clash too. Another one for me is Stella Donnelly, The Big Moon and Beabadoobee. I think some of my choices this year will be based on the fact that I love the Walled Garden stage on a sunny day. 

Also - I caught Self Esteem at Field Day 2018 and All Points East last month and they were great. They really felt like a band on the rise at the later.

I'm a big fan of Rebecca's previous band Slow Club (In Waves is such a good track) and her old band mate Charles Watson has appeared in a variety of guises at Green Man in recent years (solo, The Surfing Magazines and in Sweet Baboo's band). There's a documentary about their break up but I've not managed to track it down anywhere: 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/09/our-most-brilliant-friends-slow-club-documentary-piers-dennis

With Self Esteem you get the impression she is producing the music she has always wanted to Make.

Careful now

On 7/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, Aeroplane Over the Sea said:

Green Man has glasto like status of not really caring too much about the top of the bill, I’m going regardless!

Same for me but including EOTR...no need to see line up. 

On 7/8/2019 at 2:32 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Seen her a few times now. Think the ‘Kids Win’ album is best imo. She played GM in 2016 on the Mountain Stage in the rain. Tom Ravenscroft tried to big her up with an introduction but it just didn’t seem to happen. Stage boss also appeared to pull them off early, maybe due to a slight over run. Shame as she is lovely live. 

On 7/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, PresentlyTense said:

See, Black Belt Eagle Scout was on this one from April! Where did she go?

Black Belt Eagle Scout is very easily mixed up with Black Country New Road when you're making a poster in a rush. I keep mistaking them for Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. And Better Oblivion Community Center. And Black Moth Super Rainbow. And Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...

It's nice to see The Beths getting so much love but I'm a bit worried they're not going to live up to people's expectations live. Saw them at a festival in February and it was essentially the studio versions live  - they're a bit shy too. Definitely still see them though.  

1 hour ago, ohdear said:

It's nice to see The Beths getting so much love but I'm a bit worried they're not going to live up to people's expectations live. Saw them at a festival in February and it was essentially the studio versions live  - they're a bit shy too. Definitely still see them though.  

Saw them in Birmingham a few months ago, having never really given them much of a go before, and they were really great live! 

(I thought.)

As an alternative to paying £300 - 350 for a Campervan pass (current eBay price) I have discovered that you can use the Rugby Club in Crickhowell (opposite the Park/Ride point).  They would charge £15 with hookup (3 free spaces) or £12 without hookup (unlimited space).  If there is demand they might open the loo/shower block for an additional fee.  The Park/Ride runs every 10 mins at peak times and every 30mins at off peak.  Lawrence Watts is the contact - lawrencewatts99 (at) gmail.com.  I have his phone number, but won't post it publicly here.

3 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Really starting to look forward to this now. What are the food options like? Can't find a list of stalls anywhere.

Very good food options imo. 

Ghandi’s Flip Flop (to the right of the Far Out tent last year) 

Goan Fish Curry (if you walk out of the walled garden and take a left before the hill up towards Far Out)

There was a Thai place in the walled garden last year that I really enjoyed - think it was called Mommi or something like that. 

Brownie stall near Babbling Tongues was amazing.

There was a place at the top of the Mountain Stage that did massive onion bhajis - would recommend. 

7 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Really starting to look forward to this now. What are the food options like? Can't find a list of stalls anywhere.

There's a joint that does vegan doner kebabs in the Nature/Nurture bit and I promise you it's life changing (I pick out the pomegranate seeds though because they're like eating tiny little shards of FUCKING GLASS! Who even likes pomegranate seeds? I ask you)

Food is amazing for a festival of its size, also gotta highly recommend West African place near Far Out; the paella, Organic Chai Shop, and Super Tidy Welsh Burgers all at the back of the main stage field. Me and my partner are vegan and honestly we could eat 3 square fantastic meals per day without having to repeat a stall all weekend. But as it happens we eat 4 square meals a day with some repeats, don't judge.

• Upvote 2