Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

Christine is definitely back bigger name anywhere than SVE, and isn't like a wildly awkward fit for GM. A little more out of the normal remit than most headliners, definitely, but it's diverse enough that she wouldn't be out of place.

My tinfoil hat theory is that the quietness on the 3rd headliner so far is that they do not yet have one finalised, which is a scary thought. I'm sure they'll pull something out of the bag though, even if it means bumping up a glaringly small act, the Green Men are canny enough to find some Smalltime McGee & The Lads who could put on a headline worthy show given the shot. And it's such a good festival that they could resort to screening episodes of Cartoon Network classics on the Mountain Stage at headliner time and the ticket price would still be the best money I've spent all year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Christine is definitely back bigger name anywhere than SVE, and isn't like a wildly awkward fit for GM. A little more out of the normal remit than most headliners, definitely, but it's diverse enough that she wouldn't be out of place.

My tinfoil hat theory is that the quietness on the 3rd headliner so far is that they do not yet have one finalised, which is a scary thought. I'm sure they'll pull something out of the bag though, even if it means bumping up a glaringly small act, the Green Men are canny enough to find some Smalltime McGee & The Lads who could put on a headline worthy show given the shot. And it's such a good festival that they could resort to screening episodes of Cartoon Network classics on the Mountain Stage at headliner time and the ticket price would still be the best money I've spent all year.

haha totally agree on your last point!

what seems strange if that is the case is that they’ve already booked bands that are, in my opinion, big enough to headline (SVE/Eels). Perhaps it was due to them being not available for Friday when they had already booked FT and FJM for Sat and Sunday. 

think we’ll hear some news this week though!

For a while I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that they haven't been able to announce a headliner because it was supposed to be Ryan Adams - he was due to be over at the end of March into April, which feels like it would fit with a return visit in late summer - but I can't imagine he'd have come back after two years.

That said, I can easily believe "they just can't get anyone they think is headliner worthy for that day" - EOTR, albeit a smaller festival then, went until July in 2009 before they were able to announce the Hold Steady as headliner.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's no bad theory - I actually think the same thing. Lots of European festivals - massive ones - have had a similar ride this year where they've managed to be led along by a band for way far into the festival announcement schedule. But then, with us festival nerds, we think this is because they're being held back by some whopping act that has the power to make festivals wait so the expectations climb and that's terrible for the fest.

The reason I think they don't outright say "there is one more headliner to come" instead of "keep your eyes peeled!" or something is because they're readying that stage split with Yo La Tengo at the top on Friday.

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

EOTR, albeit a smaller festival then, went until July in 2009 before they were able to announce the Hold Steady as headliner.

Even two years ago EotR fudged it a bit. Rumour is that Feist was lined up but deferred it for a year - so they announced Bill Callahan, subsequently decided he wasn't quite main stage material and swapped stages with Jesus & Mary Chain.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

ahhh right I see what you mean. 

I’m not sure how common something like that is but to me that would be very underwhelming to announce an existing act as the last headliner. 

Yeah I mentioned it a little earlier in the thread but I recall FN6 and Bestival doing it. It’s obviously underwhelming, probably would be okay if it was one of the other top line acts like Shaz or Eels but I guess YLT are the biggest name we expecting to be  playing Friday.

Only reason  for not announcing would they have not booked one or they legally cant as they are playing elsewhere.

Last few times left a late headliner were kings of convenience and mercury rev. Both seem quite small acts. Which to me indicates they missed out on someone and booked a small band, might be same with kgwl last year.

Only band I remember being held back due to other commitments was metronomy, they played last when Van Morrison headlined closing the set van played at tea time

End of the road two years ago promoted Jesus and Mary Chain to headliner status. But even if the miss out on an act I would assume they would book a smaller headliner they booked the wedding present at a few days notice and with the right hype any heritage act can be built into headliner.

Aye, Van was their headline headliner though. I think that was more to do with his schedule than Metronomy’s - I would think the lack of confirmation of whether or not we even have another headliner to come as well as no information on a Thursday headliner surely means they either think they might have to do some reshuffling or they’re in the process of doing it.

Metronomy were down as unnamed special guests until after latitude was finished. Van I think likes playing midday he was helicoptered in and out your right he was always down as headliner though.

Always thought having some of the more low fi headliners on earlier makes sense though. Fleet foxes at midnight does not work so well.

This is a weird one too as Chai wallahs announced on Instagram about 6 weeks ago that they were set to announce their Green Man lineup and then it never appeared. I just assumed it was part of the strange delay in the final announcement. Chai Wallahs announced their Standon calling lineup today which is several weeks before Green Man so I doubt it’s anything sinister