Green Man 2019

Amy Lawn

3 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

First Aid Kit would be a fantastic headliner. I think they're often overlooked and perceived of as a little boring but I was completely blown away by them last year. Incredible live show. 

Yeah, I've been a big fan for a long time, and they've always been very good as a live proposition. But with Ruins and last year's tour they unexpected levelled up immeasurably, and they're a perfect fit for Green Man.

BOCC would be a wonderful announcement as well, I'm sure loads of Green Man's usual crowd will be absolutely dying to see them.

Of course the line-up is a peach as it is already, and even if they didn't announce one single more act I'm interested in, I'd still be very keen to hand over my money for the bands we've already got. Because what we've already got is so strong though, it just makes me think what the hell else have they got up their sleeves, we know they always stagger the exciting stuff evenly across all the announcements. 

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah, I've been a big fan for a long time, and they've always been very good as a live proposition. But with Ruins and last year's tour they unexpected levelled up immeasurably, and they're a perfect fit for Green Man.

BOCC would be a wonderful announcement as well, I'm sure loads of Green Man's usual crowd will be absolutely dying to see them.

Of course the line-up is a peach as it is already, and even if they didn't announce one single more act I'm interested in, I'd still be very keen to hand over my money for the bands we've already got. Because what we've already got is so strong though, it just makes me think what the hell else have they got up their sleeves, we know they always stagger the exciting stuff evenly across all the announcements. 

Is there anything to suggest First Aid Kit are the third headliner? I would absolutely love this to be true!

13 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah I agree, very happy with what we've already got. 

They've clearly gone bigger in terms of the amount of acts they've announced in the first announcement so inevitably it compares favourably to last year's first announcement. We've still got at least 30 acts to be announced though I think.

Some of last year's announcements came later on (e.g. Teenage Fanclub and The Wedding Present) so hopefully they've got a few gems to announce yet. 

17 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Is it too soon for James Blake to come back? He's playing EU festivals in August. Despite the good tracks on the new album, hope it is too soon . Not like Travis Scott is gonna come to GreenMan.

I would have thought so. Fleet Foxes were the last repeat headliner i think and they headlined back in 2011 so that's a pretty sizeable gap. 

53 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Suede just announced for Paredes de Coura, though with them at Beaded Theory I feel like they're probably out of the running anyway. 

Yah Suede don’t need to be in Portugal to be in Wales do they?

They’re at Pennfest as well. Really don’t seem like a Green Man type act to me at this point.

Edited by dentalplan

I've got a highly important update in respect of Alvvays playing. HEAR YE! HEAR YE!

In 2017 I went to watch Alvvays at the Gorilla, I was stood next to a guy wearing a Kero Kero Bonito t-shirt, I remember this detail because it prompted me to buy one. Last night I went to watch KKB at Gorilla (you'll note there's a strong through-line already), and wouldn't you know it a member of the band was wearing an Alvvays t-shirt! ? The baton has been passed, so now Alvvays must complete the circle by playing Green Man. Do you see?

• Upvote 3

On 2/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Made a Green Man 2019 playlist for anyone that's interested!

My favourite 3 songs by each of the people I'm looking forward to seeing.

Haven't managed to find 3 that I love for all of the acts but I'll keep updating it.

This is great! I listened to it pretty much all day Sunday.  I am actually doing two Festivals across the pond this year, first the Boomtown Fair then Green Man. I am excited for both. ?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, JacquelineS said:

This is great! I listened to it pretty much all day Sunday.  I am actually doing two Festivals across the pond this year, first the Boomtown Fair then Green Man. I am excited for both. ?

Glad it's been useful! 

You'll see there are a few artists that don't appear as I haven't found songs by them that I enjoy yet (e.g. Tamino and Tiny Ruins).

Of the acts I hadn't heard of before, I'm really ejoying Grimm Grimm, Hen Ogledd, TVAM, Nilufer Yanya, Audiobooks and Just Mustard. 

Edit: also Mapache!! 

Edited by lessthanwill1
  • Upvote 1

What are people's opinions on Four Tet headlining? 

I'm a big fan of his, and he's clearly incredibly popular at the moment after last year's Brixton shoes and the Ally Pally gig coming up this year. It's also cool that he was one of Green Man's first ever headliners back in 2004 and both him, and the festival, have both grown hugely. 

My concern isn't with his stature but with his performance and how it will be received by the crowd who are perhaps only casual fans. I was at one of the Brixton shows and left feeling a bit disappointed. The lack of lighting really didn't work in my opinion and it's not exactly a very interesting watch visually speaking for those who are only mildly interested given that it's just him behind the decks with no crowd interaction. 

Anyway - what do you think? Will you be watching? 

Been a big fan of his music for a while now, and been bumping him pretty heavily ever since New Energy came out. Never seen him live before so his announcement was a pleasant surprise for me, I'd been hoping we'd get an electronic headliner, was thinking of Jon Hopkins. I'm a bit worried by all these reports from people saying his shows last year were boring, I'll turn up and hope for the best, but if it's going a bad way I'll be off somewhere else. High hopes though, I'd love to see him smash it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

What are people's opinions on Four Tet headlining? 

I'm a big fan of his, and he's clearly incredibly popular at the moment after last year's Brixton shoes and the Ally Pally gig coming up this year. It's also cool that he was one of Green Man's first ever headliners back in 2004 and both him, and the festival, have both grown hugely. 

My concern isn't with his stature but with his performance and how it will be received by the crowd who are perhaps only casual fans. I was at one of the Brixton shows and left feeling a bit disappointed. The lack of lighting really didn't work in my opinion and it's not exactly a very interesting watch visually speaking for those who are only mildly interested given that it's just him behind the decks with no crowd interaction. 

Anyway - what do you think? Will you be watching? 

I get what you mean. Im a fan. However, I saw him in Brighton in 2006ish (i think?!?) and it was dull.

BUT....i do think, if there is a decent production behind him with the lights & visuals etc, it could be bloody mega!! So Im looking forward to it very much. 

16 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

The Ally Pally show will be completely different to the Brixton shows though won't it? It'll have proper lighting and visuals....I mean the Brixton show was only like that because tickets were a fiver weren't they (and I think they only took place because of what happened at Field Day)....

Yeah it will, it looks incredible. Don't think GM will have the same light installation unfortunately but hopefully there will be a fair bit of production. This clip from Glasto 2014 looks great to be fair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg15s_ldsek

13 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Been a big fan of his music for a while now, and been bumping him pretty heavily ever since New Energy came out. Never seen him live before so his announcement was a pleasant surprise for me, I'd been hoping we'd get an electronic headliner, was thinking of Jon Hopkins. I'm a bit worried by all these reports from people saying his shows last year were boring, I'll turn up and hope for the best, but if it's going a bad way I'll be off somewhere else. High hopes though, I'd love to see him smash it.

I hope he smashes it as well - he deserves it. Hope he throws in a couple of tracks from Rounds. 

13 minutes ago, retromoz said:

I get what you mean. Im a fan. However, I saw him in Brighton in 2006ish (i think?!?) and it was dull.

BUT....i do think, if there is a decent production behind him with the lights & visuals etc, it could be bloody mega!! So Im looking forward to it very much. 

I agree, it could be amazing. Hoping it goes down well. Just slightly concerned as they've never had someone like him headline before since he did it back in 04 and 06. Hot Chip headlined a few years ago but they have a full live band behind them (same with Caribou who played high up a few years back as well). 

I wonder if they'll get another similar act to sub him - e.g. Apparat - or whether one of the acts already announced will be the sub...Maribou state perhaps? 

I've seen Four Tet twice, as an opener and then at a festival (not willingly) around 2004-2005 I think. Maybe it is changed since then but my impression was very neutral. I can say the same for Father John Misty (APE or Field Day I think) and Sharon von Etten (as opener ages ago). Coupled with the fact that Broken Social Scene and Richard Thompson have played club shows in the area within the last year, only Stereolab really caught my attention, with a bunch of other things of course that I'm curious about.

I've made the decision to see Stereolab at the Villette Sonique festival in Paris instead where day tickets are available ?.

Edited by emmanuel

I'm terrible when it comes to electronic music I'll happily admit it, friends hate me for it but I need like proper lyrics and live instruments. I love stuff like Hot Chip, Lcd Soundsystem, Chemical Brothers but get bored to tears by stuff like Aphex Twin and Four Tet no matter how much I try and get into them, even when I was at Aphex's show at field day I left to see RTJ, it's really just not for me and I'l hopefully see someone like Idles or Car Seat Headrest on another stage

2 hours ago, OddRon said:

I'm terrible when it comes to electronic music I'll happily admit it, friends hate me for it but I need like proper lyrics and live instruments. I love stuff like Hot Chip, Lcd Soundsystem, Chemical Brothers but get bored to tears by stuff like Aphex Twin and Four Tet no matter how much I try and get into them, even when I was at Aphex's show at field day I left to see RTJ, it's really just not for me and I'l hopefully see someone like Idles or Car Seat Headrest on another stage

Was at that Apex Twin show - best night of my life! 

I understand what you mean though. I'll probably be elsewhere on Saturday night as well - CSH would be great in the Far Out one evening!