What could Glastonbury do that would stop you going?

Alex DeLarge

11 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Possibly too if the Eavii relinquish ownership. I see James Benamor (loan shark, former petty criminal) has just forced Bestival Group into administration. Shame.

WTF, don't know who the James fella is but can you provide a link to this please. 

The ethos and feel of the festival would have to change for me to stop.

Despite the vast size of the site, the huge acts it now attracts, and all the hangers on and celeb friends that follow in their wake, the media circus now associated with it, the pricey glamping and teepee options the fact that it’s now almost as much as part of the UK social season as the likes of Henley, deep down it feels the same as when I first went as a teenager 30+ years ago. 

As long as there are all the smaller stages, the huge variety of performers and entertainers, craftspeople, healers, the little nooks and crannies and bars we all love so much, that ultimately make Glastonbury like nothing else on earth, and all without overt corporate sponsorship, then I’d want to be there, on Worthy Farm.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

The ethos and feel of the festival would have to change for me to stop.

Despite the vast size of the site, the huge acts it now attracts, and all the hangers on and celeb friends that follow in their wake, the media circus now associated with it, the pricey glamping and teepee options the fact that it’s now almost as much as part of the UK social season as the likes of Henley, deep down it feels the same as when I first went as a teenager 30+ years ago. 

As long as there are all the smaller stages, the huge variety of performers and entertainers, craftspeople, healers, the little nooks and crannies and bars we all love so much, that ultimately make Glastonbury like nothing else on earth, and all without overt corporate sponsorship, then I’d want to be there, on Worthy Farm.

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think if they moved from Worthy Farm I’d reconsider going. The Farm is the heart and soul of the place.

But the people are the heart and soul though, really, aren't they?

Like if the festival was forced to move up to the Midlands but they arranged it with all the same care and attention as the festival now, and it shared the ethos and stuff - and then Live Nation bought the current grounds and piggybacked off that with a crap knock-off.  The real festival would be the former, surely?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

But the people are the heart and soul though, really, aren't they?

Like if the festival was forced to move up to the Midlands but they arranged it with all the same care and attention as the festival now, and it shared the ethos and stuff - and then Live Nation bought the current grounds and piggybacked off that with a crap knock-off.  The real festival would be the former, surely?

There are numerous hearts and souls...

The queues/over excessive security.

If I'm paying for a five day event, I don't expect to be stuck in a queue, in unbearable heat, for six hours on the Wednesday (and then go around and do it all again 'cause it takes two trips).

If this becomes the norm I may well just knock it on the head.

It's letting the terrorists win

• Downvote 1

It's more likely that higher priorities in life would stop me going than anything the festival does, but:

• A change of location
  • Anything cynically forcing people to pay more for the basics (tiered tickets, etc.)
  • Too much bureaucracy/rules on what you can and can't do, and where

The only other thing that could put me off isn't really the festival's fault, but the environmental impact of a sizeable number festival goers leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The sheer number of tents/property abandoned in the middle of the Somerset countryside, people openly urinating onto the ground/river, etc. - it does give me pause to wonder how big a problem for me that actually is.

Ive only gone 2 years but this place makes me feel more at home and comfortable than anything else I've ever experienced.... if that changes for whatever reason I would stop going. 

I'm not sure theres something specific they could do that would change the vibe drastically... I think it would have to be a wide number of changes over many years. 

• Like 1

I could live with sponsored stages or a ‘Emirates Proudly Sponsor Glastonbury....’ moniker (In truth, how many sports fans stop attending their sponsored stadia?). Not saying I’d be happy mind you.

I could live with greater security and officialdom, if it were reasonably justifiable.

I could live with there being no headline acts that appeal.

I could live with the litter if progress is made. The festival I work introduced reusable cups this year, resulted in a reduction in all littering (Not just cups) of around 90%. Easy. Anyone who believes the festival is currently environmentally friendly is misguided.

I couldn’t live with going if none of my friends wished to go anymore. That would be the clincher for me. 

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Wales qualifying for an international tournament. 

I actually remember spending an hour or 2 steaming Wales v Northern Ireland in my tent with a few mates for Euro 2016.

From what I remember the game was terrible but to this day I'm still amazed my signal lasted that long, what with the 3G/4G being pretty intermittent on the farm

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

I actually remember spending an hour or 2 steaming Wales v Northern Ireland in my tent with a few mates for Euro 2016.

From what I remember the game was terrible but to this day I'm still amazed my signal lasted that long, what with the 3G/4G being pretty intermittent on the farm

Yeah I was actually at the match for that one, shocking game of football tbf but must have been a good night on the farm for you after the win. Viva Gareth McAuley

• Upvote 1

...if there was an inner "Arena" and an outer "Camping Area with all of the restrictions that brings with it.  I really don't fancy any of the other festivals because of this. I don't go over to the dark side after midnight but I like to think that it's there, incase I ever fancy it! ?

I think they've all been covered. Certainly the charities and sponsorship would be a good one. In my mind, rightly or wrongly, I feel like the good it does outweighs the damage through litter, tents etc. If that starts tipping the other way I might change my mind.

And definitely the whole separation of arena and camping. Saw it at Download and just looks shit.

Since going to Beautiful Days this year the prospect doesn't horrify me quite as much. While not the same, I now know there are alternatives.