Bestival going into administration?

rseamer

On 11/30/2018 at 10:41 PM, dentalplan said:

This is just what they still owe, I think.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. 

I feel a sort of weird sadness about it all because it was such a great festival - feels a bit like a mate moving away or something.  

11 hours ago, Zacko said:

I feel a sort of weird sadness about it all because it was such a great festival - feels a bit like a mate moving away or something.  

I can relate to that... just remembering back to how it used to be in the peak Robin Hill days, maybe with a touch of rose tinted glasses syndrome, makes me feel sad.

Looking at those accounts, it's quite amazing that they managed to even put on the show this year.  Losses for at least the previous two years, nothing on the balance sheet of any significance and struggling with sales since at least 2016.

It's quite hard to understand how those in control expected everyone to get paid in the first place really.  I'm sure the likes of London Grammar will be OK without their fees tbh but there's a lot of companies and artists in there who will really struggle without being paid.

RIP Bestival, such a shame :-(

2 hours ago, stu_kent said:

I can relate to that... just remembering back to how it used to be in the peak Robin Hill days, maybe with a touch of rose tinted glasses syndrome, makes me feel sad.

Looking at those accounts, it's quite amazing that they managed to even put on the show this year.  Losses for at least the previous two years, nothing on the balance sheet of any significance and struggling with sales since at least 2016.

It's quite hard to understand how those in control expected everyone to get paid in the first place really.  I'm sure the likes of London Grammar will be OK without their fees tbh but there's a lot of companies and artists in there who will really struggle without being paid.

RIP Bestival, such a shame ?

Definitely, it felt untouchable for a few years around 2012/2013 - the Stevie Wonder year was just absolutely perfect. 

Rob da Bank hasn't really said much or even given a sort of farewell post - is this presumably because he's not allowed due to the current situation? Feels almost like he's just glossed it all over and doesn't care (but surely this can't be true)

Edited by Zacko

7 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Rob da Bank hasn't really said much or even given a sort of farewell post - is this presumably because he's not allowed due to the current situation? Feels almost like he's just glossed it all over and doesn't care (but surely this can't be true)

I don't believe there's anything legal that stops him from saying anything.

But what could he say, really, unless he's able to announce that everyone is going to get paid? - which I think is unlikely. Shit happens, and guess in RdB's position the best thing is to try and find a best way forwards even if its something less than perfection.

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Shit happens, and guess in RdB's position the best thing is to try and find a best way forwards even if its something less than perfection.

I was wondering last night, if they hadn't spread themselves out so thinly with Toronto, Bali and the Common People events etc., whether the UK problems would have happened.  Either due to it all being too much for the management team or the financial challenges that the additional events created.