Bestival going into administration?

rseamer

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A shame, but I echo what's been said on this thread already - it's had its time. 

Yeah it's probably best to leave it now, with a good reputation rather than after it's been butchered by a corporation that doesn't have any experience in the industry.

Anyone else surprised that RdB has just signed over his well crafted brand though?

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

He didn't sign it over as such, and it looks like it would have cost him in excess of a million to keep hold of it.

And who knows, he might still have a role - and a stake - under the new ownership.

Yes, quite possible.  I guess Benamor wasn't the only creditor and the administration and subsequent buyout would go someway to clearing off other debts.

It would be great if they could invest to get Bestival back to it's former glory with a decent line up now.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:25 PM, stu_kent said:

It would be great if they could invest to get Bestival back to it's former glory with a decent line up now.

Unsurprisingly, it doesn't seem like they have plans for Bestival at all. Between the buyout only reiterating that Camp Bestival 2019 would go ahead and Benamor saying about how the festivals show Dorset to be 'world class', he probably won't have the same nostalgia for the event that only came to Dorset to die. I imagine the best case scenario would probably be a few years off then another crack at building Bestival back up again.

If Bestival does go, Beautiful Days will have made a right surge up these forum listings. 9th to 4th in a few years. That's a Champions League spot.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Sad times. I went 2010 and was part of me extending my horizons after doing 6 Readings in a row. Bestival along with Glastonbury 2009 really showed how intricate and special festivals could be and how much more they could offer.

I remember queueing up and getting the hovercraft over and how fun the whole journey was and everyone sharing out beers and smokes; it was glorious.

I also remember my friend and I seeing Scroobius Pip making his way across the festival at around 1 am in the morning when we were on our way to watch Annie Mac and we entertained the idea of saying hello or asking him if he wanted to share a joint or something. We looked up at him and started to approach and he just gave us his typical scowl and we walked off in the opposite direction like two scared schoolboys. We were 25.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so it's been sold to Live Nation, who as part of the AIF rdB has been campaigning against. :lol: 

It seems they’ve decided to dance with the devil rather than go bankrupt. What of actual Bestival though... Live Nation not interested in turning it around? 

1 minute ago, stu_kent said:

It seems they’ve decided to dance with the devil rather than go bankrupt. What of actual Bestival though... Live Nation not interested in turning it around? 

word I'd heard - before public news of the financial troubles - is that RdB had already given up on Bestival (and Common People).

And no, "they" wouldn't have gone bankrupt, the Bestival company would have done.

I just hope everyone is going to get what they're owed.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

word I'd heard - before public news of the financial troubles - is that RdB had already given up on Bestival (and Common People).

And no, "they" wouldn't have gone bankrupt, the Bestival company would have done.

I just hope everyone is going to get what they're owed.

Yes I meant the company really, but in difficult times they could have offered personal guarantees for more funding I suppose.

There's a couple of comments on RdB's facebook post that say 'excellent news, can we get paid for bestival now' or something.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, seantizz said:

News of one of the bills outstanding - probably not a good idea to annoy the local constabulary I reckon?? 

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17262423.bestival-owes-dorset-police-more-than-140000/?ref=ebln

Wow!  I'm aware that in a CVA you can't give preferential treatment to any one unsecured creditor but this indicates that lots of invoices aren't going to get paid.

How that affects putting on the show next year remains to be seen.  I guess that the licence would be affected if the police refuse to cover the event.

15 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

I guess that the licence would be affected if the police refuse to cover the event.

I don't think they're able to hold non-payment by (essentially) a dead company against a new company that bought the assets.

17 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

this indicates that lots of invoices aren't going to get paid.

How that affects putting on the show next year remains to be seen

There's going to be a lot of pissed off people of course, but I don't think it'll affect things too much. It's not like it's been taken over by a shady operator, so bills are very likely to get paid next year.

As far as i'm aware Camp Bestival is financially sound, and it was Bestival losing money which caused the problems - so things should be good going forwards.

1 hour ago, incident said:

The full list of creditors is on the report on the Companies House website.

It's not pretty reading.

Pretty grim.

Also I assumed London Grammar were a cheap option. :O

edit: although, I realise I have no concept of what artists actually cost so they might be.

Edited by dentalplan

Those costs are absolutely baffling to me - Plan B for 105 grand has to be one of the worst purchases in history. East 17 for 600 quid though, BARGAIN. 

I can't seem to see Silk City or MIA on the list, am I just being blind?

Festivals are fucking expensive to run eh. 

Edited by Zacko